Author Topic: Enchanted item veil/block  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Runhide

• Participant
    • View Profile
Enchanted item veil/block
« on: December 02, 2010, 02:54:20 PM »
I am looking to make an enchanted item that blocks people from being able to scry the person wearing it.  I was wondering if that would be a straight block and/or a veil.  I can’t think of a way it would be a block so I would go with a veil that works like a block.  I am guessing it would respond/work when someone tried to scry the person and consume a use.  I would like to keep it down to two enchanting slots and the character can put 10shifts into it with 4 uses.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
Re: Enchanted item veil/block
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 03:20:53 PM »
Veils are basically nothing else than blocks against perception.
Protection against scrying, i.e. divination, is simply a straight up block against divination.

Consuming a use everytime someone tries to scry for you is a bit of a judgement call. Usually veils are not reactive, like defensive items are when defending against physical attacks. You have to activate them in order to make use of them.
But the benefit the item offers is rather specific, so personally I'd allow a reactive setup.
Maybe restrict it in a way that the item cannot be turned off. So even if someone who you'd want to find you looks for you, they have to  get past the block to do so. Unless you actually take off the item of course.

If the character has an item base strength of 10/4, then two slots get either an 11/4 or an 10/6 item. I'd go with 11/4, since thaumaturgic divination can get to higher shift values pretty quickly.
Anyways, power 10-11 gets you pretty nice protection against most quick tracking spells. Harry's standard tracking spell for example would have trouble to find you. But if the tracker takes his time to do a little prep-work, he'd probably be able to find you anyways.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 03:26:00 PM by Tsunami »