Author Topic: Held at gun point  (Read 4599 times)

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Held at gun point
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 06:47:19 AM »
One, figure that the aspects of "Point Blank Range" and "In my sights" are applied. Thats +4 right there, a weapon 2 and a Fair +2 gun skill. With the best roll possible, your looking at a possible 10 shifts plus a weapon 2. So if Harry rolls bad, he's getting approx 8 shifts of damage, thats going to hurt a mortal any day of the week.

Also, Harry doesn't know how many stress boxes he has.

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 07:19:01 PM »
Also, Harry doesn't know how many stress boxes he has.

Yeah, but Jim does :P

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 05:52:38 AM »
That's kinda the point.

As a reader of the books we basically know that he's going to live through the being held at gun point. That's what Consequences are for. Harry doesn't know that though. Similarly the players know that their PC isn't going to die if that gun goes off, but things are going to get complicated. The Game doesn't need to work very hard to model one shot kills when the narrative point of shooting characters is to make their lives interesting.

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 11:40:36 AM »
Thanks for the replies. The game system is a bit different, compared to "traditional" RPG's (read: that are trying to simulate reality more than the FATE-system does), so it takes some time getting used to a different mindset.

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 04:16:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies. The game system is a bit different, compared to "traditional" RPG's (read: that are trying to simulate reality more than the FATE-system does), so it takes some time getting used to a different mindset.

By "traditional" can I safely assume D&D and similar games with a strong emphasis on hard simulation?  I have that background, myself and yes, FATE bakes your head on occasion.  My first moment of clarity was the sidebar "Aspects and the Death of Situational Modifiers."  Also I find any of Rob Donghue's ruminations on FATE quite interesting and good for getting this system and how to hack it.  http://rdonoghue.blogspot.com