Author Topic: Summer Knight  (Read 6642 times)

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Knight
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 02:57:51 PM »
Compels come from the GM not NPCs.

Compels can come from NPCs. Exactly the same way that they can be done by PCs.

However, the description of the Knights of the Faerie Courts in their template does seem to indicate that they are effectively Oathbound - they are compelled to follow the orders of the lady, queen and mother and to represent their court well. Yes they have an amount of free will, but it's seriously restricted in many ways. If you take the harsher (and probably most accurate) version of an Oath from the Oaths, Bonds and Bargains section it means that the knight's patrons have a pool of compels that are already paid for and so cost no fate points to inflict and give none.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:05:54 PM by babel2uk »

Offline Wilder

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »
New High Concept: Rogue Summer Knight of the Cross

Also, I don't think that your sponsor has to spend fate points to compel you, its part of the whole, "I give you power, you do my will" kinda thing.
DV Wilder v1.2 YR6 FR1 BK++ RP+++ TH++ WG+ CL++ BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy ++, Molly-]

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2010, 03:46:34 PM »
New High Concept: Rogue Summer Knight of the Cross

Also, I don't think that your sponsor has to spend fate points to compel you, its part of the whole, "I give you power, you do my will" kinda thing.

The sponsor doesn't, but the GM does. The only way to make a character do something their player doesn't want them to do is to compel them and give them a fate point. The only exception is sponsor debt.

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2010, 04:24:26 PM »
The only exception is sponsor debt.

Which can be incurred by breaking an oath to the sponsor as well as by drawing extra power. So yes, under normal circumstances fate points do have to be spent to compel a character. However, once they break the wrong sort of oath (and I'm inclined to think that the mantle of a Knight of the Faerie Courts probably qualifies as one of these) the sponsor gets to compel them a certain number of times without spending fate to do so.

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 04:59:23 PM »
However, once they break the wrong sort of oath (and I'm inclined to think that the mantle of a Knight of the Faerie Courts probably qualifies as one of these) the sponsor gets to compel them a certain number of times without spending fate to do so.

Actually, no that's not quite how it works. If you use the sponsor debt option for oaths, then you incur debt at the time the oath is made. Breaking the oath resets that debt. This option isn't appropriate for someone playing a Fae Knight*. They pay full refresh for their power. They should not have to accept compels without getting fate, that is until they run up debt with their sponsored magic.

*Someone taking up the mantel during play may be a different story. Even then I would be cautious. If the debt is too high, they may see any prospect of getting out of debt as hopeless. If that's the case sponsor debt for magic can be seen as a blank check. Sponsored magic becomes less interesting because there is no reason not to take on debt from it.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2010, 06:10:17 AM »
Compels can come from NPCs. Exactly the same way that they can be done by PCs.

I guess. Here's how PCs initiate compels:

If you are aware of and can access an aspect on another character or NPC, you may spend a fate point to try to trigger the circumstances of a compel. If the GM decides this is a compel worthy-circumstance, then she takes the offered fate point and proceeds with a compel, running it as if she initiated the compel herself (YS107).

So I guess if the GM wants her NPC to initiate a compel the GM can have a discussion with herself and pay herself a fate point if she decides its compel-worthy and then she can run the compel as if she herself initiated it and offer that fate point to the PC.

Life is really too short.

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2010, 08:27:14 AM »
So I guess if the GM wants her NPC to initiate a compel the GM can have a discussion with herself and pay herself a fate point if she decides its compel-worthy and then she can run the compel as if she herself initiated it and offer that fate point to the PC.

Life is really too short.

*sigh* sometimes I really wonder why I bother responding to some of these threads. I think I shall just not bother in future.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:29:02 AM by babel2uk »

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 01:54:07 PM »
Too snarky?

Sorry. No offense intended.

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2010, 03:38:31 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the constructive ideas.  I will update this thread if my summer knight tries to get out of his deals. 
Posting from a cell phone excuss my typoes

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2010, 03:50:50 AM »
Stupid question about the comment that Jim made about death not being a way out of the gig:  Could that be a perk of the position?  You die and your respective Queen heals you or finds some way to bring you back to life, because you still have a job to do.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2010, 08:45:20 AM »
Under no circumstance would I *EVER* call that a perk! EVER! I mean, jim says that
(click to show/hide)
 Would you love that fate???

One idea of how to get out of the deal: find and train a better knight and make a deal with one of the Big Powers.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 07:58:01 PM by Drashna »
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2010, 12:19:31 PM »
Lol!  No I really wouldn't ever call it a real perk, but the idea of a Fae Knight that was almost like Kenny from South Park (dies every single session only to be brought back by his Queen every time) I find hilarious.  Especially if the character knew it was going to happen and so he took risks that he knew are fatal out of spite.  Really dark and not really heroic in any way but kind of funny in a dark and twisty kind of way.