Author Topic: Social/Combat IoP?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Social/Combat IoP?
« on: December 05, 2010, 06:16:34 PM »
Nobody ever makes IoPs that are useful in social situations as well as combat ones. One would expect that if you are wielding the sword/hammer/whatever that makes you the Chosen One, then you could use your importance in social encounters...

[+0]  Indestructible - as an IoP, can only be destroyed in a ritual perversion of its purpose
[+0]  Divine Purpose - this IoP's purpose is the protection of Order in the Nine Worlds
[+2]  One-Time Discount
[+1]  It is what it is - a 2-ft wide, 3-ft long hammer made of an unknown metal that weighs 4 tons (weapon 4)
        It requires an effective might of at least 13 to be wielded one-handed. It can't be wielded 2-handed.
[-2]  Might Makes Right  - +1 to all Weapon and Presence rolls when wielding this IoP
[-4]  Absolute Authority - the wielder can perform attacks, blocks and maneuvers with this IoP, either at Presence+2
       for social or at Weapons+2 for physical. They are Weapon 2 and Weapon 4 respectively.
[-2]  Trollbane - made primarily to slay trolls and giants, this IoP ignores up to 2 pts of armor and satisfies the catch
       for physical immunity (but not toughness/recovery). Contrary to its name, this ability works on more than just trolls.
[-3]  Hammer of Thunderbolts - by spending a Fate Point, the IoP can be thrown at any target regardless of distance.
       Used thus, its weapon rating is equal to the target's effective might for lifting/throwing and returns automatically
       to the thrower's hand.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
Re: Social/Combat IoP?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 06:29:43 PM »
I've seen a few ideas that could be made into Social IoP  (Chip of the Blarney Stone, for example), but, yeah, you're right, Items that offers bonuses to both areas of combat are rare. 
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 06:31:35 PM »
Mostly I think that's because we all tend to think big booms and action in the stories... but on top of that I don't think I've seen anywhere in the books a weapon, armor, or toughness ability that affects social and/or mental stress.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 06:31:46 PM »
So... You made a Mjolnir that you justify as a Weapon 4 by making it so you need Supernatural or Mythic Strength along with a high Might skill? It also has some nifty leadership skills tied to it too.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 06:46:55 PM »
It would already be weapon 4 just from Absolute Authority (incite emotion equivalent plus a weapon rating increase).

And that's not exactly Mjolnir BTW. You might notice I specifically refrained from naming the item. So, given the social blasting abilities, it could well be the Ban-Hammer.  ;D