Author Topic: What to do if you're a player stuck on a mystery  (Read 2341 times)

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
What to do if you're a player stuck on a mystery
« on: December 04, 2010, 02:09:16 AM »
As a GM, we want you to uncover the story. We planned it that way, we spend time making the story, and not telling it to you means we wasted our time.  

I'm running a group playing a mystery-based campaign, with private eyes and scholars in the group. Unfortunately, we're all new to FATE, and the players' experience with mysteries appears to be limited to the DF books.  (No CSI fans here, evidently).

So I thought it might be cool to make a resource thread on what you, as a player, can do if you are stuck in a mystery.

In this first post, I'll give some typical mysteries, dead ends, and so on, and then some basic ways to solve them.  If other people want to add some, please do!
 For mysteries, just make them as typical as possible, and describe the dead end where players might get stumped. For solutions, please give us useful spells (rough descriptions are fine, tell us if someone had just channeling or ritual what type of magic they might use there). For skills, give us questions to assess scene aspects with that skill, or types of declarations that could be made. it would also be cool to get how you might approach a problem as a pure mortal, a werewolf, ect rather than just using magic.

Typical mysteries.

-Someone or something is missing. You try a basic tracking spell, but the connection is quickly severed, indicating that another magic user on the other end.
-Someone is dead. Your trail to the murderer leads to a dead murderer.

Typical skills to find solutions
Contacts, followed by social skills
investigation
scholarship

example of type of solution:
If the people that hired you or you have interviewed know nothing about a possible reason that the missing person or thing might go missing, you can try rolling Contacts.  

With a successful contacts roll, you could declare that you happened to have a link with the police, someone in the person's organization or who might otherwise know the reputation of the missing person, or a mutual friend. For an item, this could include knowing a scholar who might be able to give more information on the item's history, or knowing someone in import/exports, an auctioneer, an insurance agent, or the like who can shed light on the situation.  A good roll like this, with a good declaration, can convince the GM to make an additional source of information (because we probably already have one planned, but aren't sure how to get you to them) available to you.

You could also assess with contacts, and this is basically saying "well I want to ask around and see who this guy knew, or who was interested in this item".  A successful roll here should probably be enough to get you to what the GM has planned.

-
You can, of course, roll investigation.  A successful roll here on an assessment should reveal whatever clues the GM has planned. But honestly, a lot of times the dead ends get hit because someone, well, botches that investigation roll.  This means that BEFORE you roll investigation, it's a good time to make some maneuvers with other skills to bump up your investigations roll.  Here's some examples:
use resources to put a maneuver of "Understanding of the wealth of the missing person" or "value of other items in the area".
use scholarship to put a maneuver of "using my superior intellect to look for deeper meaning/information in available clues"
use lore to put a maneuver of "looking for anything magical"
use alertness to put a maneuver of "focused senses towards investigating"
use discipline to put a maneuver of "blocking out all other distractions"

a couple of these should bump your investigation roll up enough that when you roll it, you have a pretty good chance of getting some good details, and leads you to the movie scene of "You notice that Miss Price was well-dressed for the evening; better than she normally dressed. See, here, the tag in her trashcan for her new blouse from Saks. Compare that to this Target blouse in her laundry. This perfume is also new; you can tell by the way the scent hasn't started to decompose yet. Nothing seems out of the ordinary magically.  You suspect that she has come into some new source of money, and you should investigate that."

Compare that to "Bwah? you rolled a negative one? You find crap, holmes."

Investigation declarations let you just, really, place clues, with GM approval.  Even if you try something like "Oooh I rolled a 5, can I say that her kidnapper smoked a cigarette and left the butt in her ashtray, but I can tell the difference from the rest of her cigarette butts?"... and the GM thinks, no, that won't work, eldrich horrors don't smoke... your inventiveness usually makes us feel sympathetic enough to toss you a bone like "Well, no, but you will totally notice the slime on the ashtray now."

-

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: What to do if you're a player stuck on a mystery
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 03:41:48 AM »
Do you also want advice from the GM's side of things, to give tips on how not to create potential dead ends?
Lawful Chaotic

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 04:53:17 AM »
If you are interested ni avoiding the dead end investigation, you can try this idea about how to run investigations.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »
Do you also want advice from the GM's side of things, to give tips on how not to create potential dead ends?

Yes.

My main concern is that players new to the game, and new to role-playing in general (as we've had several new role-players due to their interest in DFs), simply won't know which skills to try and use, or what approaches are available to characters.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 06:54:47 PM »
For GMs, there are a couple of things to do to keep the story going.

The first is to avoid something called pixelbitching. This is the bad habit of having there be one obscure, counter intuitive solution to the problem. Like the one piece of evidence is on a stub of paper underneath a potted plant on the balcony, and the only way to get the information is to say, "I look under the potted plant on the balcony," even though it was only mentioned in passing one time.

Don't do that. It's an easy mistake for new GMs to make, and it's wretched for players.

One thing to do is to make sure that failing a roll never simply means that nothing happens. Instead of the roll being whether they get necessary information or not, it's about how much trouble the information causes them. This can go down a couple of ways.

One way is that you still get the information, but with consequences. Maybe you figure out the puzzle, but it takes too long and the cops see you leaving the apartment. Or maybe you find your contact, but you draw a little too much attention and the killer now knows you're looking for them.

Another way to handle this is deadlines. I'm sure you've seen a movie or show where a killer claims another victim every X amount of time. Fail your roll and another person dies, bringing with them another clue.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »
So, obviously divination thaumaturgy can be a huge help here.  But what specific spells might be useful, for a player not used to creating their own spells?

What we need is emotional content(Thaumaturgy: Divination/pyschometry)
This spell specifically seeks the raw emotions associated with an object.
Complexity: Varies: here, 8 shifts to overcome any resistance (such as when someone bottles their emotions up, or when more than one person has feelings towards the object and has recently touched it), 4 for "duration" to represent going past the time frame (since sunrise) by several shifts

This spell is basically high-powered object reading, with a particular goal: it seeks the emotional states of the last person or people who interacted with the object.  While general moods can be determined, the person's attitude towards the object itself will also be present. Typical results from this spell might be:

Hairbrush - The person usually brushed her hair while feeling rushed and nervous, and her feelings toward the actual brush were "distracted". However, the last time she brushed her hair, she was extremely sad.

Murder knife:  The owner felt safe and secure with the knife, and likely viewed it as protective. However, the last time it was touched was in anger.  The victim was also angry and jealous.

Organic Materials Search (Thaumaturgy: Divination/Biomancy)
Finds organic materials
Complexity: Varies, here, 12 (8 for effect, 2 for duration (as above, going backwards past last sunrise), 2 for zone)

The caster inscribes a circle around an area. The spell makes anything of organic origins in the area glow, enabling the caster to easily find stray hairs, fingernail clippings, blood, ect. The effect of 8 essentially gives an investigation roll of 8 to determine if the substances can be found. The spell detects residual life force, and the time increment only goes back a week, so anything older than this is omitted. (Thus, your wooden table doesn't glow). Things glow brighter the more recently they have been part of a living organism (casters note that fleas and bed bugs are especially bright). This spell is most often used to find sympathetic connections.

Targeted Clairvoyance (Thaumaturgy:Divination)
Seeks to get a mental image of where the target is; see Extended Divination, pg 297 YS
Complexity: varies, opposed by target's conviction (base difficulty conviction+4, to overcome a good roll), unless target specifically chooses not to resist, typically 8-9 but can be 16+

This is an alteration of Extended Divination.  The time frame is reduced down to "a few moments", lasting less than 30 seconds, but the person receives full sensory information (hearing, sight, smell, taste of the air, humidity, air temp, ect) as if the caster was physically present.  Like Extended Duration, this projects a mostly-invisible spectral projection of the caster. Unlike Extended Duration, this projection is almost impossible to cover up (add 5 shifts to the difficulty to cover it up, over what hiding the projection for extended duration would be).  This is because the caster is asserting a stronger psychic presence by using all senses.

*edit* commenting on last spell: the "add 5 shifts" is because I reduced the difficulty down by almost that by going from scene to "a few moments", and pumped that into the extra senses.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 08:49:33 PM by mostlyawake »

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 08:53:35 PM »
A few Special Powers:

Many special powers can be beneficial here, but a few are worth special mention.

Psychometry
For a character or group without a strong thaumaturge, or time to do thaumaturgy, psychometry is great.  Instead of trying each object in a room individually, try stating to the GM "I'd like to use a fate point and compel my (psychometry) aspect, as I go around the room lightly touching objects".
Cassandra's Tears
Try invoking this if you get stuck, but this is really up to how your GM plays it.
Ectomancy
A character with this should bug the crap out of ghosts, to gain additional witnesses and such.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 12:57:54 AM »
Rule 1:  The players always get the clues that they need.  This is tied up with the rule about failure being interesting.  If failing to get a clue means that the players are stuck fiddling around until you come up with something else, then you aren't following the rules

Rule 2:  The mystery is tied in deeply with some of the PC's aspects.  It doesn't have to be a personal connection, it just has to be something that will resonate with what that character is about deeply enough that you can expect to see them make some interesting decisions about how to handle the mystery once they've figured stuff out.

Rule 3:  Solving the mystery isn't (or at least, doesn't have to be) the point.  The point is to see what choices are made when faced with the mystery, and if you premandate that the PC's solve it, then you're just making someone else's choices for them.  The best way to avoid this is to make the mystery a dynamic thing, where failure to solve it doesn't mean that the bad guy gets away, it means that the bad guy escalates.

Rule 4:  Players have to maneuver their characters into situations that look interesting to them (as players).  They don't have to follow a string of clues, but they do have to pursue something that could make things fun for the other players.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 03:03:51 AM »
All the GM advice is good stuff. 

However, the best laid plans go awry when players don't know enough about what they can do through their characters to even know how to to look for clues.  This can happen if the player is new to roleplaying in general, or if they are used to a completely different type of game (hack & slash, ect).

So, while I love the info being posted, I don't want to see the problem as just a "GM isn't doing his job!".  Obviously, we can instruct the players on how the game mechanics enable them to do such things, but I also want a good list of ideas for them (I'm making a hand-out for my players, so they can read through it and get ideas on sleuthing).

Something I think is key is:

Solving the mystery isn't (or at least, doesn't have to be) the point.  The point is to see what choices are made when faced with the mystery

This really hits the key of the Dresden series. We all know that Harry is going to solve whatever mystery comes up; but we read because we know there will be consequences of these actions, and we're interested in what Harry does when faced with such a situation.

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 08:26:03 AM »
Then a key thing for your players will be the explanation of how aspects work and helping them pick or develop good ones.  Aspects and Fate points are perhaps more important that any skills a character has.

Your next part (and these are hard as hell for me to do in game) is to really explain the crap out of Declarations.  Because DF players have so much narrative control they can actually declare what is in the scene by establishing aspects.

Take for instance @TheMouse's explanation of "pixelbitching" (which, if you don't know, comes from those 80s and 90s mystery games like Monkey Island) where the only way to progress the plot is to find siad well hidden clue.  Well with a declaration your investigator can say "While searching, I find the clue I need to continue my investigation".  You, as the GM, now set the difficulty (usually +3 total to establish an aspect on a scene, I think) and then the player rolls the appropriate skill.  Here I think it's investigation, though I suppose Alertness could work too (but say difficulty +4).

If the player succeeds then there's an aspect on the scene of her choice, perhaps "Potted Plant Looks Out Of Place", though it ultimately doesn't really matter.  After that the player gets a free tag on that aspect without spending a fate point.  With the tag, the player can then use what they call invoke-for-effect (again, I think) and declare after having done so that they find The Clue.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 08:58:21 AM »
Theoretically, if any of the players have a remotely applicable aspect, you could "compel" it to find the next clue.  Kinda arbiratry, and your players may not like it, but i'm sure they'll like being stuck a lot less.
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 02:13:40 AM »
Declarations are pretty much the boss at getting unstuck in a mystery.  Remember that difficulty for declarations is based on how interesting the declaration is, rather than in game "difficulty".  So if you don't know what to do next, think of the coolest thing you can think of for your characters to find, and even with no skill points for the appropriate skill, you stand a decent chance of finding it. 

Things that make awesome (and therefore easier) declarations:
- You know exactly how you would react to this thing being true
- You leave the declaration just vague enough that the GM can be evil by adding bad stuff to it.
- Make it cool enough or funny enough that you get visible reactions from the other players, and you know you've hit the sweet spot.
Lawful Chaotic