Linked Events

• Jim and Shannon @ MarsCon: January 14, 2011 - January 16, 2011

Author Topic: Jim and Shannon at MarsCon in Williamsburg, VA - 1/14-16/2011  (Read 262222 times)

Offline OnlyElise

• Posty McPostington
  • Beware the Tiny Dancing Flower Person!
    • View Profile
Re: Jim and Shannon at MarsCon in Williamsburg, VA - 1/14-16/2011
« Reply #330 on: November 15, 2010, 12:27:01 AM »
Damn Straight!  :D
She Who Must Be Obeyed. Or at least catered to, occasionally.

Offline Ink Slinger

• Posty McPostington
  • Angst Muffin~plot bunny breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 15, 2010, 12:31:47 AM »
I need some help y'all.  Hubby is really getting into going to Con and I guess we're showing up as Michael and Charity.  The only problem is that if my friend's chain mail doesn't fit I'm kind of short on ideas as how I'm gonna dress.

Any ideas?  Please PM them to me.  Thanks.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 15, 2010, 12:39:36 AM »
I need some help y'all.  Hubby is really getting into going to Con and I guess we're showing up as Michael and Charity.  The only problem is that if my friend's chain mail doesn't fit I'm kind of short on ideas as how I'm gonna dress.

Any ideas?  Please PM them to me.  Thanks.

Blonde wig, broadsword and mace. I think that would be sufficient.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 15, 2010, 12:47:36 AM »
Barring storms blocking the mountain passes, I'll be coming as Chandler again.  As much as that outfit cost, I've got to get my money's worth out of it.   ;D

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #334 on: November 15, 2010, 12:50:33 AM »
It occurs to me that the TSA might not take kindly to me toting around a fireman's coat liberally daubed with fake blood.  Yeah, Chichen Itza Molly is definitely not in the cards.

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 15, 2010, 12:50:38 AM »
You look great in it PG still debating if I will do a costume.
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline Ink Slinger

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 15, 2010, 12:51:49 AM »
Blonde wig, broadsword and mace. I think that would be sufficient.

Thank you captain obvious.  I kid.  No I have that much of an idea, it's a bit more the clothes I'm stuck on.  I mean is it really dressing up as a character if I just wear my jeans and long sleeve tee?  That's pretty much what I wear everyday.

And I would love to walk around with my Brother-in-law's claymore...I don't think the constaff/security/police will look too kindly on that.

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 15, 2010, 01:02:51 AM »
I was looking on the website to see if they had any guidelines for weapons, NYCC had clearly defined rules, but I didn't see any listed. Might be worth a phone call to see what the restrictions might be.
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 15, 2010, 01:12:15 AM »
Thank you captain obvious.  I kid.  No I have that much of an idea, it's a bit more the clothes I'm stuck on.  I mean is it really dressing up as a character if I just wear my jeans and long sleeve tee?  That's pretty much what I wear everyday.

And I would love to walk around with my Brother-in-law's claymore...I don't think the constaff/security/police will look too kindly on that.

Meant hammer, not mace. And yes, it was obvious... which should be a pretty major part of the costume.

Charity took an arming jacket from the first tub. It wasn’t some beat-up old relic, either. It was a neat, quilted garment, heavy black cotton over the quilting, which was backed by what looked a lot like Kevlar ballistic fabric. She pulled it on, belted it into place, and then withdrew an honest-to-God coat of mail from the tub. She slipped into it and fastened half a dozen clasps with the swift assurance of long practice. A heavy sword belt came next, securing the mail coat. Then she pulled on a tight-fitting cap made in the same manner as the jacket, tucking her braided hair up into it, and then slipped a ridged steel helmet onto her head.

She opened the second tub and drew out a straight sword with a cruciform hilt. The weapon was only slightly more slender and shorter than Michael’s blessed blade, but after she inspected the blade for notches or rust, she flicked it around a few times as lightly as she would a rolled-up newspaper, then slid the weapon into the sheath on the sword belt. She tucked a pair of heavy chain gloves through the belt. Finally, she took a hammer from the big tub. It had a steel-bound handle about four feet long, and mounted a head almost as large as a sledgehammer’s, backed by a wicked-looking spike.

I think that if you have the other stuff, you can get away without the mail coat. That's what I was talking about.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Ink Slinger

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 15, 2010, 01:26:18 AM »
Shecky thank you for the quote from the book.   We've got that one lent out and I do not know to whom. 

Offline MarsCon1

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 15, 2010, 02:29:25 AM »
I noted a question about our weapons policy - No realistic looking modern weapons i.e. guns etc. without them being checked by the con staff/security. If we feel comfortable then we will identify it as being okay. As for swords, they must peace bonded and if you are seen pulling the sword in a public area we reserve the right to ask you to leave the con. Probably won't do that, but we reserve the right.

In the past, we have never had a problem with individuals being adults with their weapons (i.e. not drawing them in a crowd or waving them around) so we haven't had a need for a weapons policy. That is why one is not posted.

For those who have never attended MarsCon, last year was our largest attendance at 780 attendees. Another note for those planning to attend - The hotel only has 160 rooms. At the last count 115 or more of those rooms were taken. So if you plan to attend you might want to make your reservation soon. We have an overflow hotel just down the street but it just a hassle to travel between hotels.

Finally, a little about a hotel policy. On Thursday before the con, the hotel will run a check on your credit card. If you do not have sufficient funds to cover the first night i.e. Friday night, or your card is no longer active, you will lose your reservation. So even if you make a reservation, you might want to check shortly before the con to make sure. The only reason this is a problem is because we will fill the hotel, so there will be no extra rooms and you will be sent to the overflow hotel.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 15, 2010, 02:32:33 AM »
You could always go as Pregnant Charity. :D  Maternity dress with a pillow under it and a hammer...
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 15, 2010, 09:17:58 PM »
Thank you Marscon1 I figured if I hung that out there you would notice and post the policy. Great to see you all are on top of your game down there. really looking forward to this.

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #343 on: November 15, 2010, 09:42:03 PM »
Are you worried that your hands are registered weapons, whingnut?
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 15, 2010, 11:28:38 PM »
Are you worried that your hands are registered weapons, whingnut?

No Dear my mouth is. Ask Star she will confirm.