Linked Events

• Jim and Shannon @ MarsCon: January 14, 2011 - January 16, 2011

Author Topic: Jim and Shannon at MarsCon in Williamsburg, VA - 1/14-16/2011  (Read 262184 times)

Offline MarsCon1

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Jim and Shannon at MarsCon in Williamsburg, VA - 1/14-16/2011
« Reply #1320 on: January 26, 2011, 02:49:34 AM »
I'm sorry that you got displaced. I try every year to fix the problem. One reason for the problem is the change over in staff. It happens at every hotel. The staff this year was completely different from the year before. So lessons learned couldn't be retained. Guess I will go back to work and keep a closer look on it next year.

Butch

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: January 26, 2011, 02:51:17 AM »
I'm sorry that you got displaced. I try every year to fix the problem. One reason for the problem is the change over in staff. It happens at every hotel. The staff this year was completely different from the year before. So lessons learned couldn't be retained. Guess I will go back to work and keep a closer look on it next year.

Butch

You did mention that you guys have a good relationship with the owner. Maybe he can do oversight for the next time?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: January 26, 2011, 03:06:20 AM »
I visited Williamsburg a couple of times and loved it.  I'm so jealous that I wasn't able to attend this con.  :'(
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #1323 on: January 27, 2011, 01:24:11 AM »
Butch -- I also recommend that you remind folks on your website to specify if they want a smoking/non-smoking room/floor.  For those of us coming from states with comprehensive non-smoking laws, who aren't used to having to specify such things, it can be something of a rude awakening to get stuck on a smoking floor.

Offline Dizzy

• Posty McPostington
  • more than you can handle
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: January 27, 2011, 04:11:23 AM »
I really hope y'all do this again next year. I'd love to come and I've always wanted to meet everyone. I've always thought the people here were the best. It is really great to see you all gushing over the good time you had.

Fare thee well my friend, you take a peice of my heart with you.

Her Highness Dizzy, Divine Ruler of The Everlasting Skies, and Supreme Exalted Commander-In-Chief of the Pharaoh's Royal Air Force.  Oooh-rah!

Offline MarsCon1

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: January 27, 2011, 03:59:30 PM »
Priscillie - That is a good idea. Virginia only passed the law recently to make all restaurants non-smoking and although the area is inching closer to total non-smoking, hotels still have smoking rooms.

Butch

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: January 27, 2011, 04:41:09 PM »
Priscillie - That is a good idea. Virginia only passed the law recently to make all restaurants non-smoking and although the area is inching closer to total non-smoking, hotels still have smoking rooms.

Butch

I think what she had in mind was just a reminder to registrants that they'll need to specify with the hotel staff which they want.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #1327 on: January 27, 2011, 05:34:31 PM »
I think what she had in mind was just a reminder to registrants that they'll need to specify with the hotel staff which they want.

Yuppers!

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
  • Not quite as old as ancient Mai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: January 28, 2011, 05:35:50 PM »
AND, the hotel didn't blink (neither did the attendees nor the Con organizers) when I had to bring my 8 month old Golden Retriever, Mac, to the Jim Q & A on Sunday AM b/c we were leaving straight from the hotel to go home.  Didn't want to leave my boy out in the cold car by his lonely all morning.   (The previous two days he'd spent the days at "Camp Helen & Johnnie" visiting with his relatives that live in the area (yes, HIS relatives, two half sisters, a half brother, and niece & nephew).  ;D

Butch, you held a GREAT Con and have found a gem of a hotel!
Milo, where's the Tollbooth?  Love, Tock.
Twitter: @Heartsonycgr

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #1329 on: January 28, 2011, 06:11:03 PM »
Can you blame them?  The dog was adorable, who in their right mind is going to say he has to leave?  ;D
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline MarsCon1

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: January 28, 2011, 06:47:38 PM »
We have had dogs coming to MarsCon for many years. We used to have a lady who would bring her Rock with her. He was mostly a lap dog, but can you picture a 200lb dog trying to climb into someones lap.

Butch

Offline MarsCon1

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: January 29, 2011, 11:20:51 PM »
Everyone on this site might want to go to www.marscon.net and check out the link for Paul Cory's MarsCon 20ll Pics. Some great ones of Jim and some of you that I never got a chance to meet.

Butch

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: January 30, 2011, 03:56:52 PM »
Butch, please tell Paul that he takes EXCELLENT photos!

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #1333 on: January 30, 2011, 03:58:46 PM »
They're fantastic!

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
  • Not quite as old as ancient Mai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: January 30, 2011, 11:34:22 PM »
For those of us coming from states with comprehensive non-smoking laws, who aren't used to having to specify such things, it can be something of a rude awakening to get stuck on a smoking floor.

Yup.  Land of Virginny, home of tabaccy and mandatory smoking laws :)
Milo, where's the Tollbooth?  Love, Tock.
Twitter: @Heartsonycgr