Linked Events

• Jim and Shannon @ MarsCon: January 14, 2011 - January 16, 2011

Author Topic: Jim and Shannon at MarsCon in Williamsburg, VA - 1/14-16/2011  (Read 266230 times)

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Jim and Shannon at MarsCon in Williamsburg, VA - 1/14-16/2011
« Reply #1305 on: January 25, 2011, 12:47:31 AM »
...and then she was fired for drinking on the job.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: January 25, 2011, 12:49:45 AM »
What Serack is neglecting to mention is that he forgot to get a reservation anywhere.  I let him use the second bed in my room (a double being cheaper than a single for some reason) and when I went to pay the extra $15-$20 nusiance charge, being a fine upstanding citizen (stop laughing!), the lady working the desk just stared at us with her mouth agape and said:

"Nobody's ever admitted to adding a person before.  Let me get you an extra key.  No charge."

So I gave her a beer as thanks.

Bah, I asked you if I could use the room in Mid December :P
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #1308 on: January 25, 2011, 01:26:25 AM »
What Serack is neglecting to mention is that he forgot to get a reservation anywhere.  I let him use the second bed in my room (a double being cheaper than a single for some reason) and when I went to pay the extra $15-$20 nusiance charge, being a fine upstanding citizen (stop laughing!), the lady working the desk just stared at us with her mouth agape and said:

"Nobody's ever admitted to adding a person before.  Let me get you an extra key.  No charge."

Weird.  I asked for four keys to my "double," and they didn't blink.  Nor did they charge me extra.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #1309 on: January 25, 2011, 01:31:59 AM »
I'd guess that they pretty much expect that kinda thing for conventions.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Electric MacButters

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: January 25, 2011, 01:32:58 AM »
The rates said something to the effect of: '+$6.99 for each additional person.'

This was also the Motel 6 next door.  Sorry for any confusion.
Okay, I flipped the breaker, pulled the fuses, and blew up the transformer.

Why are my lights still on?
Henceforth, therefore, to be known as Electric MacButters?
Chairman of the Amanda Beckett Society

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #1311 on: January 25, 2011, 01:47:12 AM »
Huh.  One more reason to like that hotel. :D

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: January 25, 2011, 01:52:29 AM »

:D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: January 25, 2011, 01:53:15 AM »
I think that Holiday Inn did a fantastic job along with the Con organizers it was clean easy to navigate and well laid out. we things went a bit sideways they moved quickly to make sure it was fixed and the room rate was very reasonable . my one and only complaint was not being able to get the room cool enough, but even that couldn't put a damper on my fun. Fantastic weekend that passed WAY to fast.
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: January 25, 2011, 02:06:31 AM »
Again, amen. No con (or hosting hotel) is going to have everything go exactly as planned, and while there were a few ball-droppings I heard about that weren't rectified, most of the issues I saw did get fixed, and most of those fixings were done with politeness and alacrity.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline MarsCon1

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: January 25, 2011, 01:01:55 PM »
We are often asked why we don't change hotels to a larger one. We could always use more space for programming and gaming, but it is very difficult to leave a place that truly wants you. The Patriot is a older hotel but unlike other older hotels in the Williamsburg area, the owner is making improvements every year. I visit the hotel often and I'm always noticing improvements. Last year he put on a new roof to the tune of $200,000. By next MarsCon, every TV in the place will be replaced with new HD flat screens. Most of you probably didn't know this, or even noticed it, but the owner was there the whole weekend. He enjoys the con just as much as the fans. The display in the lobby is done to keep him happy. Three years ago, we did a SteamPunk theme for our con. My wife and friends built a time machine and he allowed us to put it in the lobby. He keeps telling us stories about the postman and police officers coming in and looking at it. So every year since, we have been building a display in the lobby. We could never do some of the things that we do in other hotels. Hard to leave. Now if we could just solve the problems with reservations.

Butch

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: January 25, 2011, 02:32:18 PM »
Sounds like you've got a class-A venue there.  Regret missing it, but maybe next year.   :)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: January 25, 2011, 02:34:38 PM »
A good relationship between con and venue is beyond price.

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: January 26, 2011, 02:31:46 AM »
Butch~

As one of the many displaced by the reservation "problems," I concur that getting those fixed would be nice.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: January 26, 2011, 02:45:48 AM »
Butch~

As one of the many displaced by the reservation "problems," I concur that getting those fixed would be nice.

^ One of the ones I was mentioning earlier with the "a few ball-droppings" comment. Most were taken care of, which is why those few surprised me all the more.