Author Topic: The Dresden Files RPG Book Quote Scavenger Hunt  (Read 91022 times)

Offline elmago79

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: The Dresden Files RPG Book Quote Scavenger Hunt
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2007, 02:39:14 AM »
Here's Michael swinging his sword, for Weapons, (Grave Peril, Ch. 5):

Michael shouted, and swept Amoracchius at the spirit. The great blade bit into her back with a wooden-sounding thunk and made her arch up, screaming in pain. It was a deathblow.

Offline Karevala

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2007, 06:08:56 PM »
Here are some more.  I think these are new, but I didn't check this time to see if they've been posted already.
FYI: For convenience, I have stripped out most of the books' formatting by running the text together and ignoring paragraph boundaries.

I love this image of Murphy that Harry sees when he looks at her through his Sight!
Presence
The door burst open. Murphy came through it, her eyes living flames of azure blue, her hair a golden coronet around her. She held a blazing sword in her hand and she shone so bright and beautiful and terrifying in her anger that it was hard to see.
(Grave Peril, chap 13, page 105)
If you want more of the quote, it continues:
The Sight, I realized dimly. I was seeing her for who she was.

Here are two about the Archive.
Presence
I extended my senses gingerly toward her. The air around her fairly hummed with power, different from what I would expect from another wizard, but strong all the same, a quiet and dangerous buzz like that around high-tension power lines.
(Death Masks, chap 10, page 108)

Presence
The girl had power. She had a hell of a lot of power. ...text omitted... She regarded me with implacable blue eyes I suddenly did not want to take the chance of looking into.
(Death Masks, chap 10, page 109)

Empathy
I looked in Susan's eyes and saw hope there for just a moment. (Death Masks, chap 14, page 145)

Empathy
The insult relieved me a little. If he was able to be a wiseass he'd probably be OK. (Death Masks, chap 9, page 103)

Empathy This could also work for Investigation.
I stared at him for a minute and got a hunch, a solid intuition of which I was completely sure. Denton was hiding something. He knew something and wasn't talking.  Don't ask me how I knew it, but something about him, about the way the veins bulged in his forehead, or the way he held his neck so stiffly, made me think so.
(Fool Moon, chap 2, page 22)

Investigation
"I snuck downstairs so I could listen to Dad tell Mom what had happened. "  ...text omitted... 
"Do you eavesdrop on every private conversation you can?"  ...text omitted...
"No one says anything interesting in a public conversation, do they?"
(Death Masks, chap 15, page 156)

Investigation (The last sentence could be cut; it would fit into Alertness.)
I kept my head down, my hands in my pockets, and walked toward the harbor. I didn't rubberneck around, but I tried to look at everything while moving only my eyes. 
I didn't see anyone but I couldn't shake the impression that I was being observed. 
(Death Masks, chap 12, page 121)

Might
Michael picked me up as though I weighed no more than one of children. (Grave Peril, chap 31, page 287)

Stealth or Burglary It would work for either.
I put my hands on the grate and pushed it as gently as I could. It slid soundlessly from the wall and I set it one side. ...text omitted...
I needed only a few seconds to creep out, and nip the Shroud and get back into the vents. ...text omitted...
I slipped out of the vents, thinking silent thoughts. A long stretch put my fingertips on the tube's carrying strap.
(Death Masks, chap 19, page 211)

That's it for the moment.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 06:18:07 PM by Karevala »
"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Offline KreenWarrior

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2007, 07:13:35 PM »
Don't think this has been done before...

Scholarship or Lore: "He leaned his hands on his desk and regarded me, eyes sparkling.  "I know how wizards live forever." Dead Beat, pg. 38

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2007, 09:02:51 PM »
Scholarship or Lore: "He leaned his hands on his desk and regarded me, eyes sparkling.  "I know how wizards live forever." Dead Beat, pg. 38

*Perfect*!

I love the other stuff that's come in so far.  Keep on truckin', folks, this is awesome.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Karevala

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2007, 09:03:39 PM »
A few more...

Weapons
Michael stepped over me and Sanya, Amoracchius in hand, and shouted as he lunged forward, both hands driving the weight of the sword at the closed steel door. The sword went through the door, sinking almost to the hilt. [text omitted]
Michael drew the sword back out of the door. Blood gleamed wet and scarlet along the length of the weapon's blade.
(Death Masks, chap 31, page 332)

Here are a couple with Harry using his staff in a non-magical capacity.
Weapons (maybe Fists as well?)
Just as I got to chapel's door, it swung open and two men come out, both of them snapping clips into submachine guns. One of them didn't look up in time to see me, so I checked him in the forehead with a double-handed thrust of my staff, getting my whole weight behind the blow. His head snapped back and he dropped.
(Death Masks, chap 31, page 333)

Weapons
The other gunman started to bring his weapon up, but I batted the weapon away with a sweep of my staff, then snapped the end of it hard against his nose.
(Death Masks, chap 31, page 333)

Karevala

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2007, 10:57:07 PM »
Fists:
Proven Guilty 238

"He had bruises on his face, on one arm, and the knuckles on both his hands were torn and ragged.
     Micheal's son had been throwing punches.  It hadn't done any good, but he'd fought."

Weapons
Proven Guilty 85
"He brought the sickle down on Rawlins.  The cop managed to catch the force of it upon his long flashlight. Sparks flew from the steel case, but the light held. The maniac twisted the sickle, so that the tip plowed a furrow across Rawlins's forearm. The cop snarled.  The flashlight spun to the ground.  The maniac raised his sickle again."
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline theboatman

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2007, 02:58:31 AM »
These are all from Summer Knight. I've edited them to leave just the dialogue.

For either Presence or Rapport (making a good first impression). Both are from chapter 4:

Harry: 'Hey, I'm supposed to wear a robe. we all are.'
Ebenezar: 'Somehow I don't think a plaid flannel bath robe is what they had in mind.'

Also for Presence or Rapport:

Harry: 'My cat used my good robe as a litter box.'

And for Scholarship (languages) from chapter 5:

Harry: 'What?'
Ebenezar: 'Well. First you said, "I am a sorry excuse, Merlin, a sad long day held me. I need me a different laundress.'
Harry: 'What?'
Ebenezar: 'That's what the Merlin said. Then you said "Excuses to you for my being dressed and I also make lately."'
Harry: 'Goddamned correspondence course. Maybe you should translate for me.'
Ebenezar: 'Happy to.'

This could easily be edited down a little more and still give a pretty good impression of Harry's scholarly skills.

Wolfhowls

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2007, 06:04:30 AM »
I know this quote isnt from any of the books but its funny as hell...."He's probably on a pass to Middle Earth".....I know I know it doesn't go with the thread but come on its a funny ass quote

Offline NightProtector

• Conversationalist
  • NNDNN
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2007, 06:11:04 PM »
Weapons:

The door flew open to a distance of five or six whole inches.  I kicked it a few times to open it the rest of the way then tromped in with Mouse and looked up to find the barrel of a chopped-down shotgun six inches from my face.

"Those things are illegal, you know," I said.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
Dr. Seuss
US author & illustrator (1904 - 1991)

Offline gknee

• Participant
  • My feet are wet and I can see the pyramids
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
I was just reading Grave Peril and these two Bob quotes made me LOL:

Rapport:
"We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville" Chapter 18

Deceit:
"Ding dong, Soul Eater Home Delivery, may I come in?" Chapter 15
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 09:50:04 PM by Zenitharmon »
- "You are, I take it, Harry Dresden?" "If I'm not, he's going to be upset with me when he catches me running around in his underpants".

- "I'd hate to find out that the universe really wasn't conspiring against me. It would jerk the rug out from under my persecution complex".

Offline ponbern

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2007, 04:19:46 AM »
i can only think of two at the moment(mainly becuz my cousin stole them all, stupid cousin in traction >:(), and im suprised no one else said it.

Rapport-
"Are you always a wiseass?"
"No, sometimes I'm asleep."

and

"Who the hell are you?"
"I the hell am harry"
There are some sick people on the Internet...I seem destined to meet (and piss off) them all.

*looks at matt yet again* "scratch the medpack and bacta tank. I'll take a master craft headstone with epitaph +2"-Ian
"Do I really get ten darkside points for punting the jawa into the Dark Jedi??"-Me

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2007, 07:40:57 AM »
Hey guys, if the quotes don't have book titles I can double check 'em in, they'll be a little tough to include...

I'm loving these later additions though.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Karevala

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2007, 02:30:39 PM »

Deceit
I kept my duck blind of a smile in place, and mouthed appropriately polite phrases in the right spots.  My cheeks had already started hurting. (Death Masks, chap 19, page 197)

Deceit
(I know this next one is too long; I'm sure parts could be dropped.)
Then I reached into my pocket and dropped a quarter on the floor near him. "There's a pay phone on the other side of the parking lot, past a patch of broken glass. You'd better get yourself an ambulance." I turned and walked out the door without looking back. ...text omitted...
The Russian grinned. "Was that a quarter you gave Cassius?" "Yeah." "For the phone?" "Yeah." 
Michael noted, " Phone calls cost more than that now."
(Death Masks, chap 28, pages 301-302)

Discipline
The lights and the noise made it a little difficult to keep my concentration, and I felt the spell I'd woven around me wobble. I closed my eyes for a second, until I had it stabilized again. (Death Masks, chap 1, page 1)

Discipline?
There are things you can't walk away from. Not if you want to live with yourself afterward.
(Death Masks, chap 14, page 145)

Endurance
The cold grew more intense, more painful, I couldn't escape it. I panicked, thrashing wildly, dull pain flaring in my bound limbs, and away into numbness under the cold.
(Death Masks, chap 21, page 228)

and a little later.
I didn't have much energy. After a few minutes,  I hung panting and hurting and too tired to struggle any more, the water only getting colder, bound limbs screaming.  I hurt, but figured the pain couldn't get any worse.  A few hours went by and showed me how wrong I was.
(Death Masks, chap 21, page 228)

Fists
Benn didn't give us any warning. She just moved, fast and hard, stepping toward Murphy. There was a quick blur of motion. Murphy's hands got there before the blow landed, and she turned, somehow levering Benn's weight off from her legs and slamming the grey-maned woman into a wall.
(Fool Moon, chap 2, page 20)

Intimidation  I like the childishness in this one.
"Hi, " I said in a loud voice, and stepped up to my door.  I towered over Blandman. And I had a great big gun in my hand, even if I did keep it pointed down at the floor.  "I'm Harry Dresden." (Death Masks, chap 4, page 42)

Intimidation or possibly Contacts
"Ventas servitas," I hissed, nice and dramatic, and threw some will at the door. Sudden wind slammed it shut right in front of his eyes. He squeaked, and backed up several paces, staring at the door, then whirling to face me.
I used the remnants of the same spell to push out a chair opposite me. "Sit down Morty, I've got a few questions." (Grave Peril, chap 10, page 83)

Offline Talandar

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2007, 06:03:12 PM »
Might
Michael had gone to his wife and crouched down beside her. He got his arms underneath her and lifted her as though she were a basket of laundry. Like I said before, Michael's buff.

From Grave Peril, Chapter 21

Offline Karevala

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2007, 07:09:39 PM »
Here are more quotes.  I just can't seem to stop myself.

Alertness  This one is hilarious. I hope it holds up out of context.
Thomas's senses evidently didn't compete with mine, because the Black Court vampire was up to its shoulders in the Beetle before he choked out a startled, "Holy crap!"
(Blood Rites chap 3, page 21)

Investigation?
Think. If I were an arrogant, psychotic demon-collaborating terrorist out to trigger an apocalypse, where would I be?
(Death Masks, chap 31, page 331)

Athletics or even Fists
I made like a ballplayer, slid in feet first, and planted the heel of my boot squarely on the end of the demon's nose. I'm not heavily built, but I'm most of a head taller than six feet, and no one ever thought I was a lightweight. I kicked the demon hard enough to make it screech and veer off.
(Blood Rites chap 1, page 2)

Craftsmanship
I'd done some makeshift repairs with several one-by-sixes, some hanger wire, some cheap padding from the camping section at Wal-Mart, and a lot of duct tape. It gave the car a real postmodern look: By which I meant that it looked like something fashioned from the wreckage of a major nuclear exchange.
(Blood Rites, chap 1, page 11)

Lore
People don't believe in the supernatural these days. Supernatural things are scary. It's much more comfortable to rest secure in the knowledge that no one can reach out with magic and quietly kill you.
(Death Masks, chap 1, page 3)

Might
I was about halfway there when something ripped the steel doors off the school inward, against the swing of the hinges. A loud low bellow erupted from inside the building, and then a Kong-sized version of the chimp-demons came stomping out of the doorway.
(Blood Rites, chap 1, page 4)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 07:13:08 PM by Karevala »