Author Topic: The Dresden Files RPG Book Quote Scavenger Hunt  (Read 90939 times)

Offline Sway

• Conversationalist
  • attitude is everything
    • View Profile
    • Paranoid? Probably!
Re: The Dresden Files RPG Book Quote Scavenger Hunt
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2007, 07:47:08 PM »
Under Resources...maybe

I don't have my books near me so I don't know which one...

The priest remembering Harry because he'd never blessed a 55 gallon drum of water before?

It's in Grave Peril, p.75 :D

Offline vengefulpixie

• Participant
  • It's all about the attitude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2007, 08:47:24 PM »
Alertness
Storm Front
Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.

Athletics
Death Masks
“Leaping tall buildings in a single bound. I should probably put on some underwear.” - Susan

Burglary
Blood Rites
"So we get a plan," I said. "Any suggestions?"
"Blow up the building," Kincaid said without looking up. "That works good for vampires. Then soak what's left in gasoline. Set it on fire. Then blow it all up again."
"For future reference, I was sort of hoping for a suggestion that didn't sound like it came from that Bolshevik Muppet with all the dynamite."

Contacts
Grave Peril
"Let me tell you something, Morty. When I come into a place and don't say a thing except, 'Let's talk,' and the first thing I hear is 'I didn't do it,' it makes me think that the person I'm talking to must have done something. You know what I'm saying?" – Harry Dresden

Conviction
Death Masks
Sleep is god. Go worship. - Butters

Craftsmanship
Proven Guilty
“This map,” Bob said, “is pretty cool. I’d have thought you would have shown it off to someone by now.”
“Nah,” I said. “Tiny model of the city down here in my basement laboratory. Sort of projects more of that evil, psychotic, Lex Luthor vibe than I’d like.”

Driving
From Summer Knight
Behold the angry wizard puttputt-putting away. – Harry Dresden

Fists
Blood Rites
"Here, if you get the chance, make like Buffy." – Harry Dresden

Guns
Death Masks
I'd hate for someone to drive by and shoot me with a plain old gun. Embarrassing. – Harry Dresden

Intimidation
Storm Front
Have you ever been approached by a grim-looking man, carrying a naked sword with a blade about ten miles long in his hand, in the middle of the night, beneath the stars on the shores of Lake Michigan? If you have, seek professional help. If you have not, then believe you me, it can scare the bejeezus out of you. – Harry Dresden

Presence 
Death Masks
"Boo-ya, snakeboy," I muttered, letting out a tense breath. "Stick that in your scaly ass and smoke it."
"The action-hero one-liner doesn't count if you mix metaphors," Susan said, panting.
"Looks like no Harry Dresden action figures for me," I answered.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 04:01:12 PM by vengefulpixie »

Offline Sway

• Conversationalist
  • attitude is everything
    • View Profile
    • Paranoid? Probably!
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2007, 08:53:23 PM »

Contacts
Storm Front
"Let me tell you something, Morty. When I come into a place and don't say a thing except, 'Let's talk,' and the first thing I hear is 'I didn't do it,' it makes me think that the person I'm talking to must have done something. You know what I'm saying?" – Harry Dresden

Isn't that Grave Peril? Just sayin' ;)

Love your quotes :D

Offline vengefulpixie

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2007, 09:24:47 PM »
Sway

You're right! My bad. So many quotes running together :)

Offline Kapitein_Iglø

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2007, 09:38:47 PM »
Preformance

FM page 158

the cops weren't watching me. they were staring at the pool of light beneath the streetlight behind them, weer tera spun gracefully through the steps of some sort of gliding dance, moving to a rhythm and muscic I could not hear.

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2007, 10:05:25 PM »
Burglary
Dead beat 321 hardback

One hand darted in and plucked up an orange box.  Then he looked around and picked up a couple packs of batteries from the rack on the wall.  He hadn't touched a thing but what he had taken with him, and neither had I.  Without security systems, the only way we would get caught would be by fingerprints or direct apprehension.

Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline vengefulpixie

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2007, 06:06:15 PM »
Here are the rest of the list from my end.

Deceit
Summer Knight
"You should know, Mister Dresden, that my kind, from great to small, are bound to speak the truth." - Mab
"That hasn't slowed your ability to deceive." - Harry

Discipline
Proven Guilty
I pushed out every sensation but for the bathing, and without conscious effort my motions took on the steady rhythm of ritual, something commonplace transformed into an act of art and meditation, like a Japanese tea ceremony.

Empathy
Death Masks
Looking on someone's soul is something you never forget. No matter how badly you might want to. – Harry Dresden

Endurance
Blood Rites
Panting, I looked down at the box of whimpering puppies. A bunch of wet black noses and eyes looked back up at me from under a white dusting of extinguishing chemical.
"Hell's bells," I panted at them. "You guys are lucky Brother Wang wants you back so much. If he hadn't paid half up front, I'd be the one in the box and you'd be carrying me."
A bunch of little tails wagged hopefully.
"Stupid dogs," I growled.

Investigation
Summer Knight
"Too good to be true," I repeated. I drew the .44-caliber revolver from the desk drawer, leveled it at her, and thumbed back the hammer. "Call me crazy, but lately I've been thinking that if something's too good to be true, then it probably isn't.” – Harry Dresden

Lore
Death Masks
A cold chill started at the base of my spine and slithered up over my neck. I stopped and looked around me, reaching for my blasting rod. I extended my magical senses as best I could, tasting the air to see what had given me the shivers.

Might  
Fool Moon
I smiled at him and contemplated his shocked expression to my own satisfaction. Then I drew in a breath, and my renewed will with it, lifted the rod in my right hand, murmured a phrase in a language I didn't know, and blew the tires off his f**king truck.

Performance
Grave Peril
"I still can't believe," Michael said, sotto voce, "that you came to the Vampires' Masquerade Ball dressed as a vampire."
"Not just a vampire," I said, "a cheesy vampire. Do you think they got the point?"

Rapport
Blood Rites
"Is that a puppy in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?" – Karrin Murphy

Resources
Grave Peril
Mortimer Lindquist had tried to give his house that gothic feel. Greyish gargoyles stood at the corners of his roof. Black iron gates glowered at the front of his house and statuary lined the walk to his front door. Long grass had overgrown his yard. If his house hadn't been a red-roofed, white-walled stucco transplant from somewhere in southern California, it might have worked.

Scholarship
Proven Guilty
“But we’ve been tinkering with that stupid thing every night for six months. You’re growing a cowlick and buck teeth, by the way. You keep this up and you’ll have to retire to a home for magical geeks and nerds.” - Bob

Stealth
Fool Moon
Into the water went the ingredients: plastic wrap for sight; a bit of plain white cotton, for touch; a little deodorant for smell; a rustle of wind for hearing; a leaf of plain old lettuce, for taste; and finally I threw in a blank piece of paper, for the mind, and some elevator music for the spirit. The ingredients were boring. The potion looked and smelled boring. Perfect.

Survival 
Death Masks
It came charging toward me, several hundred pounds of angry-looking monster, and I did the only thing any reasonable wizard could have done. I turned around and ran like hell.

Weapons
Dead Beat
The next morning my brain was throbbing with far too many thoughts and worries to allow for any productive thinking. I couldn't afford that. Until I knew exactly what was going on and how to stop it, the most important weapon in my arsenal was reason.
I needed to clear my head.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2007, 06:20:47 PM »
Loving the quotes, folks.  Some of them are more "thematically" about the idea of the name of the skills, rather than examples of the *mundane* skills themselves being used, but they may end up as fodder for the spellcasting chapter...

Keep 'em coming. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline elmago79

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2007, 07:14:29 AM »
This got Performance written all over:

"She had a captivating singing voice. Literally. She lilted out her song, spun energy into the air that lulled listeners into deeper and deeper sleep." (From Grave Peril)

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2007, 08:30:55 PM »
Survival: (FM 5) "The compass needle shuddered, spun wildly and then swung to the bloodstain on the dome like a hound picking up a scent."

Contacts: (FM 11) "The demon straightened its hideous form and said, in a perfect Oxford accent, "Quite. You understand, I must observe the formalities." Then it took a pair of wholly incongruous wire-frame spectacles from beneath a scale and perched them upon the beaklike extremity of its nose. "You have questions?"

Intimidation: (FM 30) "Uh. Hi guys." I said a bit lamely. "I"ve got your boss. Put the guns down, take your belts off, and walk away from them nice and slow, or I kill him."

Yep. Fool Moon is the one book I have near at hand.  ;)
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2007, 10:19:03 PM »
All right, here's the update and tallies.  We've got a few gaps.  Stuff that still needs some solid quotes are in bold.  This won't line up one for one with the quotes folks posted above because some of the quotes I didn't feel were connected with the right skill, in terms of acting as examples of the skill in use in the books.

• Alertness (This is 'passive' awareness, on-your-toes-ness, the ability to avoid surprise) 4 quotes
  • Athletics (Running, jumping, climbing, dodging) 4 quotes
  • Burglary (The ability to break into places you shouldn't be, and to plan to break into them) 3 quotes, but some of them are tangential
  • Contacts (Knowing people, tapping into the rumor mill, keeping your ear to the ground, hitting the streets to get the word out) 4 quotes
  • Conviction (Your strength of belief -- whether that's in God, magic, or other higher powers -- and thus your psychological fortitude) 4 quotes
  • Craftsmanship (Building, fixing, and breaking things with tools) 1 quote (I'm sure Harry talks about his Mechanic at times, plus there's that guy who works for the current Summer Lady who's good with machines -- let's find those quotes!)
  • Deceit (Falsehood, deception, distraction, misdirection) 3 quotes, but none of them involve Thomas and his ability to lie -- what's up with that?
  • Discipline (Concentration and self-control) 2 quotes, and just about perfect. Another one or two wouldn't suck, though.
  • Driving (driving, flying, boating, car chases, shortcuts, street navigation) 4 quotes
  • Empathy ("reading" people, maintaining the social graces, spotting lies) 1 quote -- Harry does a lot of "reading people" in the books -- like with the limo driver in Storm Front.  Dig deeper if you can!
  • Endurance (stamina and toughness) 3 quotes -- but Harry gets the crap kicked out of him way too much for this not to have shown up at all.
  • Fists (brawling, martial arts) 1 quote -- ONE QUOTE for PUNCHING PEOPLE?  Come on! :)
  • Guns (gunplay, firefights, gun knowledge, etc) 4 quotes
  • Intimidation (threats, scaring people, provoking anger, interrogation) 4 quotes
  • Investigation (examination, eavesdropping, pattern recognition, surveillance) 2 quotes -- Harry investigates crime scenes without using magic all the time. Let's find some of those examples.  I'm pretty sure in the bloody first crime scene of Storm Front we've got a couple examples...
  • Lore (arcane research, rituals, vague i've-got-a-bad-feeling-about-this "sixth sense") 5 quotes, good job
  • Might (lifting things, brekaing things, exerting force, wrestling) 2 quotes -- there's a lot more muscular action in the dresden files than just two quotes! where are the ogres and trolls?
  • Performance (playing to an audience, artistic composition and appreciation, creative communication) 4 quotes
  • Presence (charisma, leadership, reputation, social "teflon factor") 4 quotes - they're not perfect, but they could work. Keep looking for other ideas... Marcone's gotta have a few of these moments.
  • Rapport (small-talk, friendliness, putting your best foot forward impression-making, gift of gab) 3 quotes - But there's more examples of Harry and other people being, y'know, friendly or gabby...
  • Resources (wealth, equipment, lifestyle, accommodations) 2 quotes - could use a couple more having to do with Harry's general lack of money -- or later on, his Warden salary
  • Scholarship (mundane research, sciences, languages, using computers) 3 quotes - This is where Butters should really shine, but it's a little weak on him
  • Stealth (hiding, skulking, ambushing, "shadowing" or secretly following someone) ZERO quotes.  Literally, no one had any quotes about Harry or Murphy or Thomas just sneaking around and being stealthy.  That seems... really unlikely!
  • Survival (animal handling, outdoor camouflage, riding, wilderness scavenging, tracking beasts) 2 quotes - mainly about riding dinosaurs.  ANYTHING else outdoorsy would be good -- like from Tera from Fool Moon, maybe, stuff happening in the park -- but I know this one will be tough in the context of the series.
  • Weapons (weaponed combat, swordplay, thrown weaponry, weapon knowledge) 3 quotes - They're good ones, but there's no instances of Michael or another person swinging around their swords.  That seems like a glaring omission

Y'all have done a great, great job so far -- but this thing isn't over yet.  Let's see if we can knock those boldfaced ones off the list!
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline glmagus

• Participant
  • Wiseass, not just a label, but a way of life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2007, 10:24:07 PM »
Unsure of the book but:
Mechanincs: "I called my mechaninc Mike, he's the Jesus Christ of mechanincs, and he said the Beetle was ready."
"Step back, and let the wizardry commence."

Offline mikeryan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2007, 10:56:05 PM »
Might - Summer Knight Ch 22

My older brother rolled a tractor and it pinned him, broke his hip, and caught on fire. I picked it up and threw it off him, then dragged him back to the house. More than a mile. I was twelve.

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2007, 04:21:17 AM »
Oh! Oh! I've got a good one for Stealth:

"That's where the magic came in. If the potion worked, I would look like background to any casual observers, a part of the scenery they wouldn't glance at twice."

- FM 16
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2007, 03:58:06 PM »
Stealth (or maybe better for alertness)?
PG, beginning of chapter 14
"Who are you watching for?"
"What?" I said. "What do you mean?"
"You rubbernecked so much on the way here, I'm surprised your shoulders aren't bruising your ears"
"Oh, that.  Someone was tailing me tonight."

Might (PG 306)
She was in great shape, but no one's exercise program includes running up several hundred feet of spiral stairs in full mail and helmet carrying a big-ass hammer and a sword.

Presence (PG 380)
I'd gained the moral support of the Council present there tonight, and I'd wielded it against him like a sword, chopping off his options and maneuvering him into bending to my will.

Weapons (PG 326)
The top of his jump was about ten feet off the snow, and when he came down he held the saber in both hands.  The iron weapons sliced cleanly through the ogre's breastbone and filleted the monster, splitting him open like a steaming baked potato.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".