Author Topic: The Dresden Files RPG Book Quote Scavenger Hunt  (Read 89974 times)

Offline phoenix avolon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: The Dresden Files RPG Book Quote Scavenger Hunt
« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2007, 10:03:54 PM »
White Knight

“No force in the known universe can make a gang of folks naming their organization in Latin do much of anything on time. If they’re all there by four, we’ll know there’s some kind of black magic involved.”
            -p. 41
“You can get more with a kind word and well-applied kinetomancy than with just a kind word.”
            -p. 146
“Torrents of flame, blasts of force, and impenetrable bastions of will were sort of my thing. You will note, however, how seldom words like torrent, blast, and bastion get used in conjunction with terms that denote delicacy and precision.”
            -p. 319

Offline NevynK

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 06, 2007, 10:21:13 PM »
No idea why someone else hasn't mentioned this one yet but

Weapons: (WN pg.  283)

We got suited up. Swords and guns and grey cloaks and staves and magical gewgawsleft and right, yeehaw.

Might: (WN pg. 335)

Elsewhere, a male vampire picked up an eight-foot-long sofa and slammed it onto a pair of ghouls ripping at the body of a fallen thrall.

might post more later

Offline trekbette

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2007, 04:35:23 AM »
Intimidation
from White Nght
I'm not going to kill you. You get to carry word to your kind.... Tell them this, never again. Tell them that. Never again. Or hell itself will not hide you from me.

Offline steven807

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2007, 11:59:41 PM »
Craftsmanship, specifically, quotes involving Mike the mechanic:

From Blood Rites, p. 360:
  Monday afternoon I got the Blue Beetle back from my mechanic, Mike, who is the automative repair equivalent of Jesus Christ himself. Either that or Dr. Frankenstein.

From Storm Front, p. 62:
  Mike is a super mechanic.  He never asked questions about the burns that slagged a hole in the front latch or the claw marks that ruined both the doors. You can't pay for service like that.

From Fool Moon, p. 11:
  Mike has declared that the VW bug is the easiest car in the world to repair, and so that's what I drive.  He keeps it running eight or nine days in ten.  That's phenomenal.

From Grave Peril, p. 124:
  My mechanic, Mike, who can keep the Beetle running most days, hadn't asked any questions.  He'd just replaced the parts with pieces of other Volkswagens, so that the Blue Beetle  was technically blue, red, white, and green.  But my appellation stuck.

Offline Thanaeon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2007, 01:37:58 PM »
I'm not sure it fits perfectly, but I don't remember it being mentioned before;

Performance
'Okay, then. Someone get a pizza and a Coke and some dice, but I want it understood that I'm going to need thews.'
Billy blinked at me. 'What?'
'Thews,' I said. 'I want big, bulging thews, and I don't want to have to think too much.'
-Summer Knight, second-to-last page

I just find the idea of such a quote in an RPG amusing.  ;D

Offline Joren Motley

• Lurker
  • Class: Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 03, 2007, 04:31:26 AM »
Well, if things are still being looked at for acceptance, I wonder why no one has offered this for Stealth:

Stealth:
"Do you have any suggestions of where we should start looking?"

Marcone ignored the sarcasm, flicked a switch on the sight on his rifle, and pointed it negligently at the tree line. "Over there ought to do."

The red dot of the laser sight settled onto a leaf six inches to the left of my head, and the thready pulse of fear in my chest turned into an icy white streak of terror.
Fool Moon: Chapter 29

Not needed apparently, but this "weapon" quote stuck with me as the previous situation.

Weapons:
Murphy snarled, crawling on her hands and knees, dragging the chain saw with her. She lifted it again and drove it at the creature's head, engine racing, blade singing through the air. The chlorofiend screamed in protest and frustration, lifting the stumps (hah hah, get it, stumps?) of its arms in feeble defense. Murphy tore through them with the chain saw, snicker-snack, and then drove the blade directly between the chlorofiend's glowing green eyes.

Summer Knight: Chapter 21

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2007, 09:09:22 PM »
Dont know if this is still going but:

Resources:

DB Ch 13
"My wallet was getting even more anorexic than usual.  At this rate I wouldn't be able to afford to protect mankind from teh perils of black magic.  Hell's bells, that would be really embarrassing.

DB Ch 16
"Heroism doesn't pay very well.  I try to be cold-blooded and money-oriented, but I keep screwing it up"

« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 10:16:17 PM by Quantus347 »
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline LogicMouse

• Participant
  • I'm Baaaaack!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 16, 2008, 01:44:26 AM »
You may very well be past publication time by now, and I did notice that there hasn't been a comment to this thread since December, but I figured what the hey. 

All of the following are from Small Favor, so I used the spoilery thing just in case, even though I don't think most of them give anything major away. 

For Investigation:
   p.323 

(click to show/hide)

or: p.67

(click to show/hide)

For Survival:  (Something other than animals--I'm assuming you use this skill for matters of wilderness survival as well.  :)
   p.346

(click to show/hide)

or: 
   p.300
           This one is Actually pretty spoilery! 
(click to show/hide)

For Whatever skill you use for cooking: Possibly Craftsmanship?
   p.288

(click to show/hide)

For Whatever skill you'd use for reassuring someone:
   p.296
              Harry's letter to Ivy (the whole thing isn't that long.)

Hope there's still time...
The Two Towers?
"I am speaking to you in your idiom, to make you comfortable."

"Well?"
"Pay up."

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2008, 07:19:30 AM »
I'm surprised nobody's posted these.

The first is pure unadulterated
Craftsmanship:

"She [Charity] put the hammer over her shoulder, balancing its weight with one arm, and turned to me. She looked ferocious, so armed and armored, and the heavy black stain around her eyes didn't do anything to soften the image. Ferocious, hell. She looked competent-and dangerous.
Everyone just stared at her.
She arched a golden eyebrow,'I make all of my husband's armor,' she said calmly, 'as well as his spare weaponry. By hand.' -PG, 326

Discipline:

"I opened my eyes and everything came into a brilliantly sharp focus that discounted the existence of anything except myself, my magic and the ritual awaiting me. It had been a long, wearying preparation, and I hadn't even started with the magic yet, but if the spell could help me nail the bad guys quicker, the hours of effort would be well worth it.
Silence and focus ruled.
I was ready.
And then the F**king phone rang about a foot from my ear." -PG, 53 (paperback)

Another:

"Stupid phone. Stupid car crash. I tried to think positive, because I read somewhere that it's important to do that at times of stress and frustration. Whoever wrote that was probably selling something.
I picked up the phone and growled, 'Screw thinking positive,' into the headset.
'Um,' said a woman's voice. 'What did you say?'
'Screw thinking positive!...'" PG, 54

This one's from Small Favor, So I put it in spoiler tags.

(click to show/hide)
-Small Favor, pg.52

Empathy:

"'Morgan,' I said, 'Stars and stones man. Please don't do this. She's a child. We should be helping her.'
My words slowed him, and he froze in place for a terrible heartbeat. Then he closed his eyes and swallowed, his face twisting with nausea. He opened his eyes again and whispered, 'Step aside, Dresden. Please.'" - PG, 444-445 (Paperback)

Resources:

"'Wizarding doesn't pay much,' I said, 'You'd be surprised how much stuff I get from Wal-Mart.'" -PG, 182

Another non-Spoiler from Small Favor and it might also work for Discipline:
(click to show/hide)
-Small Favor, pg. 102

-edit: put Small Favor quotes in spoiler tags
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 07:20:27 PM by Lanodantheon »
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline MacEanruig

• Participant
  • Polka will never die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 12, 2008, 02:35:13 AM »
Rapport:

Grave Peril

"Holy shit," I breathed. "Hellhounds."
"Harry," Michael said sternly, "You know I hate it when you swear."
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed. "Heckhounds."

Sorry if someone already said it. 16 pages is a lot of reading for posting a simple quote;)

Hope this helps! Its been a few months since the last post...
<d351gnfr34k>

Sola Virtus Nobilitat.

Some things just aren’t meant to go together. Things like oil and water. Orange juice and toothpaste.

Wizards and television.

Offline MacEanruig

• Participant
  • Polka will never die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 15, 2008, 09:50:16 PM »
Might and Rapport, I think:

p. 354 of the softcover of Summer Knight:

I stretched out my hand, adrenaline and pain giving me plenty of fuel for the magic, and called "Ventas servitas!" Wind leapt out in a sudden spurt, seizing the Unraveling and tearing it from Aurora's fingers, sending it spinning through the air towards me. I caught it, stuck my tongue out at Aurora, yelled, "Meep meep!" and ran like hell.
<d351gnfr34k>

Sola Virtus Nobilitat.

Some things just aren’t meant to go together. Things like oil and water. Orange juice and toothpaste.

Wizards and television.

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #161 on: March 03, 2009, 12:14:35 AM »
I'm surprised nobody's posted these.

The first is pure unadulterated
Craftsmanship:

"She [Charity] put the hammer over her shoulder, balancing its weight with one arm, and turned to me. She looked ferocious, so armed and armored, and the heavy black stain around her eyes didn't do anything to soften the image. Ferocious, hell. She looked competent-and dangerous.
Everyone just stared at her.
She arched a golden eyebrow,'I make all of my husband's armor,' she said calmly, 'as well as his spare weaponry. By hand.' -PG, 326

Great quote! I'd be more inclined to use it for Intimidation, but your mileage may vary...
From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?

Offline thausgt

• Conversationalist
  • Hyperspace Arsenal: A wizard's best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Perrin's Oddments
« Reply #162 on: March 03, 2009, 12:37:30 AM »
For Investigation, from "Death Masks":

Butters cleared his throat and said, "The germs are gone."
"Germs?" I asked.
"In the samples I took from that body. I ran all the checks again just to make sure, and better than half of them turned up negative."

For Fists, from "Blood Rites":

"Hey, Stallings," she said, loudly enough to be heard by the whole gym. "What just happened here?"
The older opponent grinned and said, "O'Toole just got beat up by a girl, Lieutenant."

For Burglary, from "Summer Knight":

You'd be surprised at how far a hat, a box and a confident stride can get you.

For Might, from "Summer Knight":

With one hand, he casually lifted a sofa that had to weigh a couple of hundred pounds and peered under it. I drew back from the door again. Fisticuffs, bad idea. Definitely a bad idea.

Doubtless more to come...

From my heart and from my hand
Why don't people understand
My intentions?

Offline mrshwiggy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2009, 06:15:56 PM »
THis could be Intimidation or Presence, depending on how you look at it

"Predators respond to body language. I walked like I was on my way to rip someone's face off."

Dead Beat Ch.7

Investigation

"They might have been Heaven-on-wheels when it came to taking on bad guys in a fight, but they weren't investigators. They couldn't run these thieves down the way i could"

Death Masks Ch. 9

Offline Omega XII

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 01, 2009, 06:29:53 PM »
Endurance(kind of)

"I answered it and Morgan, half his face covered in blood, gasped 'The Wardens are coming. Hide me. Please.' His eyes rolled back into his skull and he collapsed.
Oh.
Super."-Turn Coat, page 1

Maybe a little long, but the best book beginning of all time.

Rapport and kind of Fists

"An intercom on the wall near the camera clicked and buzzed. "He's got a point," said Rawlins' voice. "I can't see it all from here. Move him a couple of feet to the left and give me about thirty more seconds before you start on his nads. I'm making popcorn."-Turn coat, p.229
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 05:29:37 PM by Omega XII »