Author Topic: Audio example of play?  (Read 10803 times)

Offline chrislackey

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Audio example of play?
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2010, 11:23:28 AM »
I listend to the first episode of the dresden play session of The Walking Eye podcast. It focused on city creation, which seemed pretty strait forward in the rule book. So I didn't feel like I needed that info. The real info I'm looking for is just seeing how people use aspects and tagging and all of that in play and to see how they are interwoven. 

The second episode which I have yet to listen to, says it has more about character creation, which, again, I'm not looking for help with. Just actual play.

I understand they're trying to be completely comprehensive for someone who's totally lost, but that's not me.

Offline JesterOC

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2010, 03:16:58 PM »
We recorded the 1st roleplaying session for our group (Guild of Geeks Dresden Files group http://www.rpgmp3.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=65 ) It should be out in a week or so. It all depends upon how quickly our DM can get the files edited and up the rpgmp3.com. He is a very busy fellow so I can't give you a hard and fast rule of when it will be up.

Also you have to realize we are new to the game too, and we are figuring it out as well. I think it would be good to listen to all of the actual play groups available so you can get an idea of how YOU want to do it.

JesterOC

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2010, 03:25:20 PM »
Personally I'm glad the podcasters recorded the city & character creation bits - every group I've heard has had common threads in their city and character creation processes, and one of the things they also have in common are how different they have been - the way ideas come up, or how brainstorms come up with inspired bits and pieces has been, to me, one of the most fascinating parts of the DFRPG experience.

Maybe I'm over-reaching, but the process seems to be a GM's dream - players writing love letters to the GM that scream "THIS IS WHAT I WANT OUT OF MY GAME AND MY CHARACTER", story hooks, adventure seeds, locations, campaign themes... wow. No more creating a world setting in a vacumn.

I'm also shamelessly mining ideas that I'm hearing in these podcasts as adventure seeds & story plots to squirrel away in my back-pocket for my own game.

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2010, 02:09:13 PM »
There are also items they've brought up in the sessions which I've been tempted to snag for mine along with the idea of the mystery island from books 10 & 11 (won't spoil for those not there yet). Living on the Gulf Coast, it'd be easy to say there is an island no one remembers out there.

Personally I'm glad the podcasters recorded the city & character creation bits - every group I've heard has had common threads in their city and character creation processes, and one of the things they also have in common are how different they have been - the way ideas come up, or how brainstorms come up with inspired bits and pieces has been, to me, one of the most fascinating parts of the DFRPG experience.

Maybe I'm over-reaching, but the process seems to be a GM's dream - players writing love letters to the GM that scream "THIS IS WHAT I WANT OUT OF MY GAME AND MY CHARACTER", story hooks, adventure seeds, locations, campaign themes... wow. No more creating a world setting in a vacumn.

I'm also shamelessly mining ideas that I'm hearing in these podcasts as adventure seeds & story plots to squirrel away in my back-pocket for my own game.

"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2010, 02:34:34 PM »
Narrative Control - episode 49 - has a nifty segment on "The game that inspires a lot of teamwork…. Dresden Files.  Partially the fate system but specifically in the “using help” section of Thaumaturgy.  This is huge.  Adventure worthy!".

Check it out.

[link corrected, thanks for the heads-up!]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:16:01 PM by Arcteryx »

Offline TheWalkingEye

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »
We've got our 3rd session, the one that covers regular narrative play, up and running now:

http://www.thewalkingeye.com/?p=933

we cover quite a few of the basics: Some straight rolls, a couple social conflicts, a soulgaze, The Sight, some assessments, and a counterspell. Enjoy!

Offline Mattastic

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2010, 07:40:10 PM »
Arcteryx's link should be:
http://narrativecontrol.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=641115

(forgive my lack of link-fu)

Offline TheWalkingEye

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2010, 08:18:16 PM »
Our session 4 is up. Some combat, a couple evocations, and a pretty good showdown.

http://www.thewalkingeye.com/?p=947

Offline JesterOC

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2010, 03:23:52 PM »

Offline TheWalkingEye

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2010, 02:18:48 PM »
Our final session, #5, is up: http://www.thewalkingeye.com/?p=953

We'll be posting our review later this week! Still trying to work out scheduling with Jim to get that interview, we'll keep everybody posted!