Author Topic: Audio example of play?  (Read 10944 times)

Offline JesterOC

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Audio example of play?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 04:52:49 PM »
You can also find our actual play podcast on rpgmp3.com. Search for We Are All Mad Here on the main page (we are listed pretty far down.) We also have City and Char gen complete. We did rattle off our skills and such, but did not debate them much. I think I also mentioned my Rote spells.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2010, 12:25:44 AM »
You can also find our actual play podcast on rpgmp3.com. Search for We Are All Mad Here on the main page (we are listed pretty far down.) We also have City and Char gen complete. We did rattle off our skills and such, but did not debate them much. I think I also mentioned my Rote spells.

Enjoyed your treatment of Austin. Interested to see how your group plays on with only 3 players and with 2 of them being wizards. Are the character sheets posted anywhere to look at? The details all flew by in a blur.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 04:07:57 AM by Arcteryx »

Offline JesterOC

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2010, 06:50:56 AM »
I will check if we have the pdf's anywhere.  I loved the way Austin came out, my favorite was the electric company angle because it came out of left field but worked so well.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2010, 08:19:43 PM »
That'd be great if you dug them up - I like how the CEO was tied in to the shopkeeper's grandmother :) Not too sure about the magical glowing top hat though...!

Offline JesterOC

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2010, 04:22:34 AM »
I chatted witht eh DM, he said he will try to get the pdf's on a website, and when he does, I'll provide the links.

And as for the top hat... well the guy is a bit crazy.. :)

Offline JesterOC

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2010, 04:51:41 AM »
Here is a text version of Red

High Concept: Homeless wizard fighting his way back to sanity

Trouble: I can perceive so much, its unreal.
Do to a mental attack from the past, Red's grasp of reality can be slippery. His refusal to ask for outside help does not help the matter.

Background:
The Strange family was one of the 300 old families that originally settled austin county years ago. Red's father wants John to give up his powers and become normal again, just as he had done. When john is in trouble, his father's people have a habit of showing up with solutions to problems, Too bad the Terms are always so bad.
Aspect: Father's help has strings attached.
Father is old money, always wants to help but only if I do it his way.

Rising Conflict:
Over the years, Red has developed an overactive sense of independence, he has trouble accepting help from all but his closest allies.
Aspect:  I can and will do it myself!
As a reaction to his fathers need to control, Red is stubbornly independent.

First Adventure:
When a psychomancer comes to town, Red meets with him head on. But will red succeed when the psychomancer had him as a target all along?
Aspect: We are family
Red considers trusted friends to be more important than family ties, He has developed a small group of friends he can trust, and will do anything for them.

Phase 4
Aspect: Sometimes its so bad, you can smell the crazy.
Might change this one..

Phase 5:
Aspect: Trust me, I'm the good kinda crazy
Invoke example: Red can turn on the charm while acting like an oddball, gathering goodwill because everyone thinks he is a lovable goof.
Compel example: Cops and other persons of authority can be scared by him and often try to push him out from the public eye.

Skills
5) Discipline (lots of skill because he was always good at what he did)
4) Lore (His Lore began to grow after his downfall),Alertness
3) Conviction,  Investigation, Contacts
2) Intimidation,Resources (has tons of 'junk' that work fine), Athletics,Raport
1) Presence ,Endurance , Fists, Guns,Deceit

Powers
Evocation
Elements (earth, spirit, fire) Specialization in earth control + 1

Thaumaturgy
Specialization in crafting frequency

The sight
Soulgaze
Wizards constitution

Rote spells:
Buoyancy (Maneuver 4 shifts 3 for effect 1 for duration (whole scene))* This is different from the book, but was told that Fred Hicks says the book example was wrong and maneuvers created by spell act the same as maneuvers created by normal means)
Toss Object (Attack earth 5 vs athletics, picks up a nearby object and tosses it at the target) much like Grasping branches spell example needs nearby object to function.
Gravity overdrive (Earth offensive block, (requires staff) shift 6: 5 for effect, 1 for duration, acts as grapple)
Debris shield (Earth Block, 5 shift for effect)

Magic Items
Evocation Focus Items
Rod +2 power for offensive earth magic
Glove +1 power defensive spirit magic

2 Enchanted Items
Magic top hat: Provides armor 2  2/session (frequency due to Thaumaturgy specialization in frequency)
1 Potion slot:

Power levels with Rod and glove
Offensive Earth Magic Conviction 5 (3+2 from Rod), Discipline 6 (5 + 1 from specialization)
Defensive Spirit Magic Conviction 4 (3+1 from Glove), Discipline 5
All other Off/def magic: Conviction 3, Discipline 5

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2010, 04:00:12 PM »
Actual People, Actual Play just posted up their city creation discussion here on:
http://apap.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=640458

They've picked Hollywood (which is pretty damned cool)

Offline JesterOC

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 04:10:14 PM »
They've picked Hollywood (which is pretty damned cool)

That can be interesting! Can't wait to give it a listen.

Offline TheWalkingEye

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2010, 05:55:41 PM »
Episode 2, character creation is now up at The Walking Eye:

http://www.thewalkingeye.com/?p=919

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 11:46:49 PM »
Thanks! And nice timing - something new for me to listen to when I pound out 5km on the running trail later on today :)

Its nice to see/hear some of these actual play episodes now, all of a sudden they seem to be popping up. I'm really looking forward to hearing the actual sessions of play once they get started as well.

Offline Mattastic

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 10:32:29 PM »
I'm on the last episode of Walking Eye... it's been good to hear the actual process of city and character creations...
Even the ones that struggle it's good to know about it to help overcome the struggles.
(I've listened to all 6 DFRPG podcasts.)

Thanks for making them!

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2010, 04:02:14 AM »
Any plans to publish the character sheets so we can take a look at what you folks have put together?

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2010, 05:46:29 PM »

I am enjoying the city creation so far and am forwarding the links to some friends who have expressed an interest in the game.

This is helping me get a better idea of the game by listening to these.
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline chrislackey

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2010, 08:49:25 PM »
I listened to the first episode and I didn't get much out of it. The rules for character and city creation were never very confusing to me, but the use of aspects and fate points in the game are what seemed a little blurry and that is what I was looking to hear more of.

Has any of the Evil Hat guys thought of doing little audio demos for their games? I think it would be really cool to hear from the creators of the game to really get a feel of how it's supposed to be done.

Offline JesterOC

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2010, 06:54:24 AM »
I listened to the first episode and I didn't get much out of it. The rules for character and city creation were never very confusing to me, but the use of aspects and fate points in the game are what seemed a little blurry and that is what I was looking to hear more of.

So what podcast did you listen to? And do you have any questions that could help anyone explain what part are you having trouble with?