Author Topic: Author's Science Fiction BookClub?  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
  • Kittens taste great and stay crunchy in milk!
    • View Profile
Re: Author's Science Fiction BookClub?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 09:14:50 PM »
Yep, the same.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Niven
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore
"Sufficiently advanced technology my ass" - Dresden

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 09:15:45 PM »
Yes, aak3 recommended it in this post.*  So you haven't read them either?  I've made a comment that in the television series (I've only seen series 1) Sookie seems too perfect and without flaws, then there could be discussion that so far in the tv series she doesn't actually kick butt.  So there are some beginning discussion points such as, Is she too perfect? But if so and they are still well received--then why?  Is she too passive? But if so, why are they received so well by women?  

Plus it might be fun to get into the whole 'set in the south' theme and how she protrays that in her descriptions.  

Pretty sure the libraries would have them right?

What thoughts do other people have?

Edited:  as aak3 just confirmed!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 11:37:28 PM »
I could certainly get talked into re-reading the first Sookie book, as it's been several years--I think I discovered Harris just before Jim, which was around mid-2006!  I could also go for a REALLY bad book--maybe some pulp fiction "masterpiece" from the 1950's, or something along the lines of The Eye of Argon

(Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I disqualify for this reading group, as my writing genre of choice is murder mystery with no fantasy or SF elements, although there's a lot of crossover between genres, so maybe an exception could be made...?)
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 11:49:51 PM »
How about a compromise... I personally haven't read any of Charleine Harris.  Certainly well read, appreciated, sells like hotcakes.  What if we started with her first book?  Thoughts?  Also, I don't think Ms Harris is a poster, right?  Still our comments would need to be up to writer beta standards with comments meant to crit, not ridicule.  I think we are all on that same page?

Charlaine Harris has written a lot more than Sookie Stackhouse. She has 2 traditional standalone mysteries; a cozy mystery series (librarian Aurora Teagarden) of about 10 books in length; a short, harder-edged series (Lily Bard); and most recently another series with a protagonist who was struck by lightning as a teenager who sees the moment of death when she stands on a grave (Harper Connelly), which was written alternating with Sookie books.

She also has a website similar to Jim's, although not as extensive. A lot of her writing is internal, as Sookie has a lot going on inside that doesn't show. That's part of the passivity, perhaps. She's not perfect, but she tries.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 10:47:45 PM by snowbound »
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline Apocrypha

• Conversationalist
  • As seen on tv
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2010, 12:19:51 PM »
 So you haven't read them either?  

No, I haven't.  Mind you, till this True Blood show made its way north of the border, I hadn't heard of Sookie before either.
I am not a narcissist. I humbly accept the fact that I'm extremely good looking, smart, and better than you.

City Of Heroes:  @Heathen Cross

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
(Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I disqualify for this reading group, as my writing genre of choice is murder mystery with no fantasy or SF elements, although there's a lot of crossover between genres, so maybe an exception could be made...?)

Lol, you don't disqualify. I'm working on political fiction, but I like reading science fiction. I may write science fiction later, but the one I'm working on is political. Most of the methods for writing are similar. It's all about the people.

=======================

My biggest question with Sookie (since I haven't read the books) is why does she try and go toe to toe with some of the head badass people when she's a total wimp? And when she recognizes how vastly inferior she is, she gets ballsier. Napoleon syndrome?

Oh, and she has no consequences for her actions usually.
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 01:18:27 AM »
My biggest question with Sookie (since I haven't read the books) is why does she try and go toe to toe with some of the head badass people when she's a total wimp? And when she recognizes how vastly inferior she is, she gets ballsier. Napoleon syndrome?

Oh, and she has no consequences for her actions usually.

FWIW

I just ordered the second season True Blood, so I may not know the answer to your question. In the books she knows how overmatched she is and tries to avoid being killed, altho she stands up for her friends. Also, after the first season the stories REALLY diverged (the Maenad in the books is just a passing character - well, a chance for Sam to get laid - where I think on TV she's a lot more).

And in the books she has definite painful and lasting consequences.

So the books may be VERY interesting to you, although they focus on Sookie, which diminishes the amount of time the others are on stage.

ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
I sort of figured pieces were left in the show that made her behavior somewhat irrational without the book's context.

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 06:51:33 PM »
I sort of figured pieces were left in the show that made her behavior somewhat irrational without the book's context.

I'm pretty sure the show is meant to stand on its own, since the stories have diverged so widely.

Also, the South figures very prominently in the books. Ms. Harris is a proud southerner, and many of the aspects were surpising to me, being from the north. Sookie changes/grows psychologically through the book series, which is far more advanced than the show, which has only had 2-3 seasons.
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 09:56:05 PM »
I really like the conversation going on here with Ms Harris' book.  So I'll make a call.  I started a new thread with a poll. BTW I added to my 'to be read' list with this thread and will be reading many of the books that were recommended.  Thank you.

I'm going to find some of the reviews or something to post with the poll.  Please read before voting so we'll end up with a book that the most of us can learn from as we read.  Let's see.  I'll post another poll if it won't let you vote two places...for what night is best for book club night in July. 

I could get excited with this!  Hope you are too!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 10:46:44 PM »
Also, since the book series has so much more territory covered, I think Alan Ball may have incorporated facets from the later books into the tv series. I don't want anyone going to books from the tv show to be surprised/annoyed at reveals in the books that they already know from the tv. Or have the books handle situations differently in the books than on TV.

;D
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 11:05:50 PM »
There are also reveals in the tv show that aren't in the books, and some that are completely different than in the books.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 09:35:16 PM »
Didn't get the poll started. Will try again tonight. My computer froze up. First site I found had an exhaustive penguin marketing interview w Ms Harris and her edirtor with really neat stuff.   I this k we made a good call. Will post poll etc and links tonight if I manage it.  Sorry guys. Life intervines...