Author Topic: Author's Science Fiction BookClub?  (Read 4576 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Author's Science Fiction BookClub?
« on: June 15, 2010, 05:52:58 PM »
With the advent of chat, we have the capability of meeting together to discuss live works of science fiction.  It's generally agreed that knowing your genre and its history is essential to writing--both technically as well as creatively.

Who would be interested?  If there are enough, we could post a poll to find a good date and time, as well as establish a rotation of book selection.  I'm thinking once a month? 

I posted this here, because I thought we could stick to an author reading mindset vs general discussion?

Thoughts?
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
  • Kittens taste great and stay crunchy in milk!
    • View Profile
Re: Author's Science Fiction BookClub?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 06:04:32 PM »
I've never been in a book club thingie (Normally a slow reader). So we all get assigned the same book, read it, then come back a month later and talk about it? Am I on the right track?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Niven
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore
"Sufficiently advanced technology my ass" - Dresden

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 06:45:40 PM »
Yeah, only I'm hoping that someone is very clever and already in another book club that manages to do that so it's funny, entertaining, and generally enjoyable...  I'm pretty sure that alcohol seems to be a major factor for enjoyment, if you are of age.  And chocolate of course.  Can't have proper discussion without chocolate.  :-)
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 07:45:27 PM »
Can I substitute chocolate for some stinky cheese?

An idea for a starter book would maybe be book 1 of the True Blood series, since they just started season 3?
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 10:25:10 AM »
I love the idea of a book club that's focused on analyzing stories from an writer's perspective. :D

What sort of books are we talking about? Urban Fantasy, Sci Fi, Fantasy, Horror, general SFF, mainstream? Mostly classics or what's hot right now?

For book selection... hm. I have more suggestions for books that are outside of UF than in that genre, to be honest, though there's a fair bit of crossover in some cases.

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War - Max Brooks (horror, first person accounts of the zombie apocalypse)

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch (low fantasy, think Ocean's 11 in a fantasy setting that resembles late Renaissance Italy)

Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson (...er, post cyberpunk? hackers with swords in the future integrate computer viruses with Sumerian mythology)

His Majesty's Dragon- Naomi Novik (historical fantasy, dragons are used to fight in the Napoleonic wars - think Master and Commander)

In general UF, there's Greywalker, Kitty Norville, Mercedes Thompson, Southern Vampire, Weather Warden, Anita Blake (early books), Newford, Neverwhere, War of the Oaks ...and there's quite a bit of Urban Fantasy in the YA genre - The Demon's Lexicon, Darkest Powers, etc.

I've been meaning to start reading A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (the guy who wrote Lamb, the Gospel According to Biff) and House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski (which is supposed to be an amazingly mind-twisty book).

You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 11:29:46 AM »
Okay, so that looks like it would cover our first couple years.  ;D

Good list!

Offline Apocrypha

• Conversationalist
  • As seen on tv
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 01:13:05 PM »
It's a very interesting idea and I'd certianly be interested but my time constraints due to work would make my attendance unreliable at best.

I hope you get more support and that this idea gets off the ground though.

Might I also suggest you look into the works of Philip K. Dick or even Cory Doctorow (his work is found for free on his website because of his belief in Creative Commons) who are both favourite authors of mine.
I am not a narcissist. I humbly accept the fact that I'm extremely good looking, smart, and better than you.

City Of Heroes:  @Heathen Cross

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 05:57:15 PM »
In my daughter-in-law's book club they commit to a year with 10 meetings.  I think we would need to only test it out to see how it goes and skip the initial commitment bit for now. Each participant chooses a book and is moderator for that hour to hour/1/2 session.

As to type of sci fi, I would think that if we grew in number we might be able to off-shoot more book clubs that stick to the sub-genres. 

I'm old school and was thinking it would be fun to go back and explore "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" or similar from Heinlein, but I am completely open to whatever people would like to explore.  I think we need to make sure it is something that is available at most public libraries to keep the costs down. 

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 03:47:38 AM »
So erm....

>.>
<.<
o.O

When we starting?

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 04:22:59 AM »
Interesting idea.  If it's to be from a writers' perspective, it might be worthwhile to pick at least one totally terrible work and analyze how it could be improved upon.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 05:08:36 AM »
Interesting idea.  If it's to be from a writers' perspective, it might be worthwhile to pick at least one totally terrible work and analyze how it could be improved upon.

Ah, have to be careful with that - I don't see anything wrong with looking at books critically, but it can't cross the line into bashing. And picking a work solely to tear it apart seems like a no-go area, to me at least.

(unless this group cuts ties and moves off of the JB forum and into AIM, or something)
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 11:43:48 AM »
Ah, have to be careful with that - I don't see anything wrong with looking at books critically, but it can't cross the line into bashing. And picking a work solely to tear it apart seems like a no-go area, to me at least.

(unless this group cuts ties and moves off of the JB forum and into AIM, or something)
I think it could work.  Like taking a book that's not very well written, but has sold well, an discussing what does and doesn't work in it, and what kind of things could make it done better.  And I think most of us are mature enough not to go into the territory of author bashing.  The two that come to mind for me are the Eragon and Twilight books, both that could have a lot of discussion about story and technique, and what to do and not do, and how to set yourself apart with originality and how it can fall flat because of the writing.  If that sentence made much sense to anyone else.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 03:15:34 PM »
I don't think bashing would be a good idea. Pointing out story flaws, grammar flaws, etc. could be a good thing as long as you don't go too far. The Harry Potter series, on the whole, was a decent series, but I had issues with the bad grammar of a couple of the middle books and the 300 pages that could have gone missing from book seven. As long as we maintain respect for the author it could help people recognize flaws in their own work.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 08:41:38 PM »
Interesting idea.  If it's to be from a writers' perspective, it might be worthwhile to pick at least one totally terrible work and analyze how it could be improved upon.
Connie Willis would agree!  She said that you should seek out the worst movie and figure out where they went wrong!
I think it could work.  Like taking a book that's not very well written, but has sold well, an discussing what does and doesn't work in it, and what kind of things could make it done better.  And I think most of us are mature enough not to go into the territory of author bashing.  The two that come to mind for me are the Eragon and Twilight books, both that could have a lot of discussion about story and technique, and what to do and not do, and how to set yourself apart with originality and how it can fall flat because of the writing.  If that sentence made much sense to anyone else.
Yes, but I also think it needs to be good enough to keep me awake and thinking!  Also we are all busy writing, maybe something that is shorter would be good, still a novel but not an epic or something so our reading time would be limited.
I don't think bashing would be a good idea. Pointing out story flaws, grammar flaws, etc. could be a good thing as long as you don't go too far. The Harry Potter series, on the whole, was a decent series, but I had issues with the bad grammar of a couple of the middle books and the 300 pages that could have gone missing from book seven. As long as we maintain respect for the author it could help people recognize flaws in their own work.
Agree.

How about a compromise... I personally haven't read any of Charleine Harris.  Certainly well read, appreciated, sells like hotcakes.  What if we started with her first book?  Thoughts?  Also, I don't think Ms Harris is a poster, right?  Still our comments would need to be up to writer beta standards with comments meant to crit, not ridicule.  I think we are all on that same page?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:46:39 PM by meg_evonne »

Offline Apocrypha

• Conversationalist
  • As seen on tv
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 08:55:38 PM »
Is Ms. Harris the one who wrote the Sookie Sackhouse books that make up that True Blood series?
I am not a narcissist. I humbly accept the fact that I'm extremely good looking, smart, and better than you.

City Of Heroes:  @Heathen Cross