Author Topic: Suggested addition(S)  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Niccos Shadow

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Suggested addition(S)
« on: June 02, 2010, 08:24:15 PM »
Instead of continuing to derail other suggestion threads or making a whole ton of small threads, I'm making this one specifically for suggesting additional 'features' that people find to be available and possibly helpful.

I think the Bookmarks would be good. It would help to keep important/popular topics active without needing to dig for buried threads. But also allow members to create their own personalized list of important material/discussions. Also it will hopefully help with the issue of multiple similar topics being cross-posted by everyone.
"I still can't believe that you came to the Vampires' Masquerade Ball dressed as a vampire."
"Not just a vampire, a cheesy vampire. Do you think they got the point?"

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Suggested addition(S)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:26:16 PM »
I'll keep an eye on this, but I can't make any promises. I'm stuck with a setup where I have to manually apply each mod, and each time the software gets upgraded all the mods get blown away and I have to re-apply them. It's slow and it's a pain in the ass, so I've been keeping the mods installed to a minimum.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Niccos Shadow

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 08:32:37 PM »
It's cool. I understand things can get pretty taxing, I haven't done a whole bunch of work on the back-end of a forum but I have dealt with similar issues. I'll just post anything I find helpful, just in case :P
"I still can't believe that you came to the Vampires' Masquerade Ball dressed as a vampire."

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 08:34:58 PM »
Sounds good.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Niccos Shadow

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 10:17:36 PM »
This Multi-Quote Mod could be rather helpful.

Personally, I find that after spending a day away from the forums I find myself having to copy quotes to a text editor (because you can only see X amount of posts while replying) and I don't like to spam a thread with a post per quote. The mod would instead allow you to tag posts for quoting as you read through them, then when you hit "reply" the tagged quotes will appear in the reply box for you, and of course the quotes can then be trimmed down as needed just like any other quote option.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 10:29:52 PM »
This Multi-Quote Mod could be rather helpful.

Personally, I find that after spending a day away from the forums I find myself having to copy quotes to a text editor (because you can only see X amount of posts while replying) and I don't like to spam a thread with a post per quote. The mod would instead allow you to tag posts for quoting as you read through them, then when you hit "reply" the tagged quotes will appear in the reply box for you, and of course the quotes can then be trimmed down as needed just like any other quote option.

Heh. Yeah, I hear you there. When I want to do that I just middle-click the quote button for each post, bringing them into tabs, and copy the stuff out of the text field, but I'm very browser-driven.
Fred Hicks

Offline Niccos Shadow

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 10:37:33 PM »
Heh. Yeah, I hear you there. When I want to do that I just middle-click the quote button for each post, bringing them into tabs, and copy the stuff out of the text field, but I'm very browser-driven.

Wow, yeah I confess to not even knowing about the middle click tab thing. That will actually help me quite a bit. And I hadn't even thought to right-click open in new tab :P Thanks!

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 12:31:19 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't even consider any of the mods until SMF 2 is fully released.  You know none of them are going to work on the new system, and you'd just be stuck fixing them again.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 12:32:17 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't even consider any of the mods until SMF 2 is fully released.  You know none of them are going to work on the new system, and you'd just be stuck fixing them again.

You may have a point. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline Niccos Shadow

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 01:13:09 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't even consider any of the mods until SMF 2 is fully released.  You know none of them are going to work on the new system, and you'd just be stuck fixing them again.

Actually a lot of them are compatible with higher versions, which is natural for most technology. However, there's a lot more useful mods (especially where administration is concerned) that currently only work for 2.x versions. Though in truth there's not a whole bunch of useful ones for 1.1.11.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:14:42 AM by Niccos Shadow »

meh

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 03:13:35 PM »

Is there a mod on there for forum preference functionality?

i.e.  I want to see unread posts since last post in Spoilers and Media but NOT RPG or I Made A Shiney?

Offline Niccos Shadow

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 05:11:27 PM »
Is there a mod on there for forum preference functionality?

i.e.  I want to see unread posts since last post in Spoilers and Media but NOT RPG or I Made A Shiney?

I haven't found one for that specific function, however there's one that will allow users to ignore sections such as "RPG" or "Spoilers" or whatever, which presumably would also remove them from the unread posts function.

meh

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 05:25:01 PM »
I haven't found one for that specific function, however there's one that will allow users to ignore sections such as "RPG" or "Spoilers" or whatever, which presumably would also remove them from the unread posts function.

oK, chalk me up as wanting that.

Offline aikidoka

• Posty McPostington
  • I suffer from a very sexy learning disability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 06:06:05 PM »
Is there some way to get a link to JB's twitter account to view his tweets, or to mirror his tweets here?
"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.  Checkmate." -25 star General Zapp Brannigan

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »
Is there some way to get a link to JB's twitter account to view his tweets, or to mirror his tweets here?

Here's a link: http://twitter.com/longshotauthor

I don't want to mirror.
Fred Hicks