Author Topic: DISPROVE THIS  (Read 107468 times)

Offline Jared

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: DISPROVE THIS
« Reply #315 on: June 24, 2010, 07:45:49 PM »
Second, why would the fae choose to put the table there, if they could have put it anywhere? The Equator for an epic battle would have made more sense. They put it over lake Chicago; over a source of dark magic 75,000 years old. That’s right, Demonreach isle has a source of dark magic beneath it over 75,000 years old; and the Isle itself was badly injured by something that happened at the start of the last ice age…

The equator is always warm and the length of day doesn't really vary. The Great Lakes are a place where lots of warm air meets lots of cold air, produces wicked storms, and has significant length-of-day variation through the year.

Offline Dale B

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 24, 2010, 09:11:41 PM »
Dear Dale:

so you propose that Laciel, caring about the to her irellevant future, used her influence to conrtol her shadow Lash, who then possessed Harry's body, fixed the LC, somehow fooled Bob, and then erseded the memmories from Lash, Harry, and Bob? Why would she not just outright force him to take up the coin? In fact, why is there a war beteween the knights and the coins at all, if the coins are that powerfull? Why would the coins even nead bearers?

Nope. Try Lash, being aware of what is going on via her implanting in Dresden, notes the errors in set up (perfect memory, remember?). Whispers to her full self that the host they both want is in danger, and that a small amount of power directed here, there, and yes, over there, is just enough to fix it. No need to erase memories, as Lash was quite capable of doing things without Harry being aware of it, Lasciel is most likely a strong enough entity that she could manipulate energy in a fashion that Bob couldn't sense. And I mentioned rules of binding.....one of which is that a mortal has to take the coin by his or her free will.

the table is the sacrifice table, and a specific item indeed, as per comments of Lea, Aurura, Mab, and JB hisself.

JB allso stated that the erlking definately, and he implied the queens as well, ascended by large scale rites of sacrifice.

But we don't know when, or who were the stars of the sacrificial show. It could easily have been other, lesser fae in all cases that led to the Big Three we know and love....

And I have no objection with mab being 650,000 years old..thats why I said 75,000 years at least.

and there were periods, in some case millions or billions of years, in which by our terms one or the other court would be supreme, if they even existed at all. I doubt there was a 'balanced' faerie court during the cretacous period, for example. Or the Huronian for a counter example.

Except that there had to be. The ice -never- reached the tropics.....and the polar regions never became vacation spots for Floridians. Sure, I doubt that any 'court' existed as such until mortal man's imagination provided the concepts needed, but the forces of nature were there from the get go.

so Mortal acsension + knowledge of the futrue+ pressence of the table + personal stake + explanations for some of the things that have happened + JB"s snarky comments + time travel will happen in the books sometime + ice age + near human extinction + demonreach + ...

...divided by the sqare root of 2 = buffer overflow.

Offline nthnclls

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 24, 2010, 11:33:22 PM »
Nope. Try Lash, being aware of what is going on via her implanting in Dresden, notes the errors in set up (perfect memory, remember?). Whispers to her full self that the host they both want is in danger, and that a small amount of power directed here, there, and yes, over there, is just enough to fix it. No need to erase memories, as Lash was quite capable of doing things without Harry being aware of it, Lasciel is most likely a strong enough entity that she could manipulate energy in a fashion that Bob couldn't sense. And I mentioned rules of binding.....one of which is that a mortal has to take the coin by his or her free will.

Lash was capable of creating ILLUSIONS without Harry realizing it, changing actual reality is completely different.

But we don't know when, or who were the stars of the sacrificial show. It could easily have been other, lesser fae in all cases that led to the Big Three we know and love....

iirc, we know that the Erkling was human at one point.

Except that there had to be. The ice -never- reached the tropics.....and the polar regions never became vacation spots for Floridians. Sure, I doubt that any 'court' existed as such until mortal man's imagination provided the concepts needed, but the forces of nature were there from the get go.

Both existing is not the same at all as both being equal.
Corpsetaker was a psychotic, body-stealing, mind-penetrating, ghoul-enlisting, power-craving asshole, but he had a certain charm about him.
You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather.

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 25, 2010, 12:04:08 AM »
Except that there had to be. The ice -never- reached the tropics.....and the polar regions never became vacation spots for Floridians.

I beg to differ.  The poles have been nearly tropical (climatically) in the past, and there's quite a bit of research that suggests that the tropics have been, at the very least, quite cold (some say icebound, some say open water during the summer) at various points during the Earth's past. (Granted, it's been moderate for the last million years or so, but the Eocene was quite warm. Think crocodiles in the Arctic ocean.)

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 25, 2010, 12:14:53 AM »

No we don't, the word of jim that talked about this only said he did a rite of ascension to get to where he is. It never said he was a human before. it might turn out that he was human but it isn't proven at this point yet.
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline Dale B

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 25, 2010, 12:16:17 AM »
Lash was capable of creating ILLUSIONS without Harry realizing it, changing actual reality is completely different.

Which is why I mentioned Lasciel as doing the actual tweaking. -She- was the one with the power. But she was bound in the coin, and further in the spells Dresden placed around the coin. Probably unaware due to the shields. But Lash was very aware, and apparently able to communicate in some fashion with her other.

Both existing is not the same at all as both being equal.

Well, let's just get it over with. Molly Carpenter is at least 20 years old at the time of Changes. As in physically adult, within a few percentage points of final growth. Anyone found any reference whatsoever that Mab and Molly have any sort of resemblance, save the fact that they are both female? Dresden would have noticed; more it would have conflicted with the padawan as student and non lust object and Mab as uber hottie. The resemblance would have been there even before Molly got as old as she is. No one's noticed. There should have been some indication. If 'Mab' arose after a mortal wizard travelled in time and ascended, a lot of entities would have noted and remembered it. So far, nothing....

Offline OpticChaos

• Posty McPostington
  • Vive Ri e Ama
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 25, 2010, 12:44:21 AM »
Except for the fact that Harry has mentioned on more than one occasion that the Faery Queens can appear how they want, it's possible that Mab/Molly chooses to not look like Molly BECAUSE Harry would notice.

I personally think Molly is Maeve because . . .

I am surprised that no mention has been made of Maeve's fashion sense.

:D
Glad to be back. Missed this place terribly!

Offline nthnclls

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 25, 2010, 12:56:41 AM »
Which is why I mentioned Lasciel as doing the actual tweaking. -She- was the one with the power. But she was bound in the coin, and further in the spells Dresden placed around the coin. Probably unaware due to the shields. But Lash was very aware, and apparently able to communicate in some fashion with her other.

How do we know that Lash was able to communicate?  Not only that, but again, if either one of them had enough power to fix LC, then why didn't they just trick Harry into talking over the coin.

Well, let's just get it over with. Molly Carpenter is at least 20 years old at the time of Changes. As in physically adult, within a few percentage points of final growth. Anyone found any reference whatsoever that Mab and Molly have any sort of resemblance, save the fact that they are both female? Dresden would have noticed; more it would have conflicted with the padawan as student and non lust object and Mab as uber hottie. The resemblance would have been there even before Molly got as old as she is. No one's noticed. There should have been some indication. If 'Mab' arose after a mortal wizard travelled in time and ascended, a lot of entities would have noted and remembered it. So far, nothing....

Good point.
Corpsetaker was a psychotic, body-stealing, mind-penetrating, ghoul-enlisting, power-craving asshole, but he had a certain charm about him.

Offline kyoryu

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 25, 2010, 01:29:32 AM »

This assumes that Molly/Mab wouldn't be able to change her appearance - something that seems well within her power, if not something that she had already demonstrated.

I don't know if I buy Mab=Molly yet, but I don't think that is strong enough to act as counter-evidence.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 25, 2010, 02:29:58 AM »
The equator is always warm and the length of day doesn't really vary. The Great Lakes are a place where lots of warm air meets lots of cold air, produces wicked storms, and has significant length-of-day variation through the year.

This is only true if your timescale is relatively short.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline anwan7

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 25, 2010, 08:19:59 AM »
As I recall wasn't a giant hole burned through the table during White Night when Harry was spying on Cole? With all the time and energy spent on trying to create it, perhaps harry didn't have enough to be able to repair all the damage before SmF, TC, and Changes.

In SmF Harry used Little Chicago, the siver oak leaf, a bag of catnip and Mister to send the Gruffs on wild goose chases.

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 25, 2010, 09:34:03 AM »
Maybe Molly went back in time, together with Bob the spirit of intelligence, he taught her the ascension rite to become Mab.

Later on Molly realizes you didn't have to do the rite naked and that is why Bob had to flee from Mab/Molly.

He ends up in the skull and is on his path to Harry again.

The reason he won't talk to Harry about what he argued with Mab about is because it would reveal things in Harrys future even though it's in Bob's past and discussing future things before it has happened is dangerous.

Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline nthnclls

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 25, 2010, 12:28:31 PM »
I love how seriously we're all taking this...

Offline Elaikases

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Mistworld
« Reply #328 on: June 25, 2010, 12:57:02 PM »
...divided by the sqare root of 2 = buffer overflow.

FYI, Antarctica has been tropical in the far past.

Steve
http://adrr.com/story/
http://adrr.com/avatars/h3.gif
http://adrr.com/avatars/light.gif
(click to show/hide)
Smiley

Offline Elaikases

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Mistworld
« Reply #329 on: June 25, 2010, 12:58:39 PM »
Maybe Molly went back in time, together with Bob the spirit of intelligence, he taught her the ascension rite to become Mab.

Later on Molly realizes you didn't have to do the rite naked and that is why Bob had to flee from Mab/Molly.

He ends up in the skull and is on his path to Harry again.

The reason he won't talk to Harry about what he argued with Mab about is because it would reveal things in Harrys future even though it's in Bob's past and discussing future things before it has happened is dangerous.

Best spoof post yet.

Steve
http://adrr.com/story/
http://adrr.com/avatars/h3.gif
http://adrr.com/avatars/light.gif
(click to show/hide)
Smiley