Author Topic: What are the Pub's Positive Patterns?  (Read 30778 times)

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
Re: What are the Pub's Positive Patterns?
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2010, 12:49:59 AM »
What I think should be part of the new pub (keep in mind I only spent limited time in there, mostly in the game closet):

Games Closet
Poetry Corner
Helping Hands/Worry Room
Craftings
Comedy Night
The Cutes That Uplift

The last two might be able to be merged, in the case of LOLcats.

And, I've already said this on the Facebook discussion, but I'll say it again.  With every action comes an equal and opposite reaction.  With the good comes the bad.  It's humanity.  However, if we put a firm stamp saying "These are the rules, abide by them or face the Fist of God," then we ourselves need to start emulating that, being the role models, as it were.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2010, 12:51:55 AM »
I've merged the idea of writing and other crafting into a single area for now, "I Made An Art". New board's up. I've also moved the Games Closet out of McAnallys and renamed it "Forum Games", restoring access to it. Looking at other things as well, still; I'm definitely not done. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2010, 01:00:57 AM »
You would need more mods for this certainly, because I wouldn't expect the few we've got now to take it on, but you could limit the "Worry Room" type of place to pre-approved threads, and you have to ask a mod to post your thread, at least for a little while, until the boards cool down.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2010, 01:03:46 AM »
How about "Is it something you'd say sitting next to Jim?"   ;D 

I like that.  You are sitting there with Jim, your Mom and your favorite teacher of all time.  Now how do you behave?  Oh yeah, and Shecky is behind you with a sword.
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

meh

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2010, 01:06:54 AM »
I like that.  You are sitting there with Jim, your Mom and your favorite teacher of all time.  Now how do you behave?  Oh yeah, and Shecky is behind you with a sword.

This is a problem.  I had a HUGE crush on my favorite teacher of all time.

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2010, 01:10:37 AM »
I think that reminding people that what they post here is here forever and in print might work better than asking them to use filters they might not have IRL.  (I know I lack real filters IRL.) 

Is there a way to make previewing your post before hitting "post" mandatory?  A required "think twice" button?
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2010, 01:12:36 AM »

Not to mention a wiseass comment for every spelling and grammar mistake you might make. ;D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2010, 01:21:37 AM »
You would need more mods for this certainly, because I wouldn't expect the few we've got now to take it on, but you could limit the "Worry Room" type of place to pre-approved threads, and you have to ask a mod to post your thread, at least for a little while, until the boards cool down.

More mods, definately, even if they're just "assistants" who only really act as Junior G-Men for the Off Topic section, trying to settle things escacalating to teh real live grown up mods onlyh when necessary.  But they'll need official status, call em wardens, paranet assistants, doormen, whatever.  otherwise, many will just say "bossy old timers yelling at me, you're not the boss of me!"  To which the Li'l Modlings can say "No, but I work for the boss of you, see the title?"

I'm not sure about pre-approving worry room threads, that'll make a delay and if someone's having an absolute shitstorm (Mom's sick, cat's dying and I lost my job today), the hugs and "Jesus, CALL A DOCTOR NOW!" posts will be delayed.  Plus it's more work for whoever has to police it.  I think with more eyes on 'em, maybe some Official Worry Room Nannies, we can grinch badness before it gets rolling to fast and splashes on Iago's boots.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2010, 01:24:16 AM »
Hell, I'll volunteer for the duty, but only if I get to have a cool title like "Super Angst Haus Death Nanny, Don't Make Me, like, tell one of the real mods to tell you to shut up, because they'll be pissed I had to bother them about your stupid BS."

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2010, 01:25:05 AM »
I've merged the idea of writing and other crafting into a single area for now, "I Made An Art".

Merge that with the LOLcat thread: "I Can Haz a Art". :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2010, 01:25:53 AM »
we can grinch badness

WANT. Can I volunteer to be a Grinchifier?

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2010, 01:29:01 AM »
Sure.  Wielding his mighty Dwarf Forged Grinchhammer Of Yeah, You Just Had to Go There, Now You's My Beyotch.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2010, 01:32:08 AM »
Grinchhammer

I have finally found a goal in life.

Seriously, I think the only real way to make it work AND LAST is to keep the reins in hand and apply the spurs liberally at the beginning, and loosen up later as the board seems to direct itself out of self-preservation.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2010, 01:34:19 AM »
More mods, definately, even if they're just "assistants" who only really act as Junior G-Men for the Off Topic section, trying to settle things escacalating to teh real live grown up mods onlyh when necessary.  But they'll need official status, call em wardens, paranet assistants, doormen, whatever.  otherwise, many will just say "bossy old timers yelling at me, you're not the boss of me!"  To which the Li'l Modlings can say "No, but I work for the boss of you, see the title?"

I'm not sure about pre-approving worry room threads, that'll make a delay and if someone's having an absolute shitstorm (Mom's sick, cat's dying and I lost my job today), the hugs and "Jesus, CALL A DOCTOR NOW!" posts will be delayed.  Plus it's more work for whoever has to police it.  I think with more eyes on 'em, maybe some Official Worry Room Nannies, we can grinch badness before it gets rolling to fast and splashes on Iago's boots.

I'm thinking "Loo Tender." :D

And if someone is having a "Jesus, CALL A DOCTOR NOW" situation, they probably shouldn't be posting on the forum.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2010, 01:36:36 AM »
Board-specific moderators are already called "Wardens" in the current naming scheme. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/