Author Topic: What are the Pub's Positive Patterns?  (Read 30967 times)

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
Re: What are the Pub's Positive Patterns?
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2010, 06:22:33 PM »
I've been fairly absent for the past six months or so (a lot of IRL chaos and tragedy...but that's beside the point) but the biggest reason I kept coming back in the couple of years before that has  been the sense of community here, the silly threads (and not just my Secret Hollowed Out Volcano in Weird) and the sheer wit of some of the folks around here.

I do like the idea of a sort of "constable" group of more experienced members who can snuff trouble before it gets started.  That might be a good way to keep things moving smoothly...not so much "board specific moderators" as a roving band of sanctioned do-gooders.  Somehow I see Shecky being involved here...
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/

Offline Buttersfly

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2010, 08:09:30 PM »
I agree with earlier posts from Paynesgray and Neurovore--it's good to have a place to come that's thick with friends who will, as P. G. Wodehouse put it, cluster round when you have a problem, whether that's a sick pet or homework or depression or a musty book to deodorize.  No, that's not directly related to Jim's books, but since Harry is someone who lives to help others, help and advice are certainly in the spirit of the oeuvre.

Also, I was on hiatus when Touchy Topics melted down, and I've missed whatever prompted this reorganization of the cat herding system, but I can hardly think of a truly unkind or offensive post that I've read myself.  Maybe I was on the wrong threads, but I've always thought  of this site as a home.

Cheers to Iago & Co.
"But writing is different because you do not have to learn or practise it and it is more tempermental because practising seems to take all the temperment out of me."  --Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2010, 12:51:32 AM »
Folks are asking where weirdness and other bits of silliness go. I'd argue that "Forum Games And Other Silliness" is probably a good place for it for now.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2010, 01:00:03 AM »
I've been fairly absent for the past six months or so (a lot of IRL chaos and tragedy...but that's beside the point) but the biggest reason I kept coming back in the couple of years before that has  been the sense of community here, the silly threads (and not just my Secret Hollowed Out Volcano in Weird) and the sheer wit of some of the folks around here.

I do like the idea of a sort of "constable" group of more experienced members who can snuff trouble before it gets started.  That might be a good way to keep things moving smoothly...not so much "board specific moderators" as a roving band of sanctioned do-gooders.  Somehow I see Shecky being involved here...

Only if I get to wield a GRINCHHAMMER. Otherwise known as a ban-AA-12 with purple neon paint on it naming it GRINCHHAMMER.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2010, 03:45:33 AM »
And you can toodle around the threads on the Spankwagon.

Reckon it would look something like this...

Jump to the 1:00 minute mark.

http://www.artistdirect.com/artist/videos/rob-zombie/533912-578104-1

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2010, 03:48:25 AM »
Are the lolcatz coming back?????
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2010, 03:49:29 AM »
Having shecky as a mod would definitely be an advantage if you wanted to silence the forums.
//Sings
"If you've been messaged to ignore me clap your hands!"
:)

knnn said "All must now bow in presence of your Dresden-Fu."

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2010, 04:01:02 AM »
Having shecky as a mod would definitely be an advantage if you wanted to silence the forums.

Dude.  Backhanded insults are just as unwelcome on this forum as direct ones.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2010, 08:53:55 PM »

Pris is too nice. This is your only warning you'll get during our period of heightened intolerance. Cut that crap out on my board, or expect to get a mandatory vacation from it.

When we want people to weigh in on who should or should not be named as moderators, we will tell you. Please do not take this thread as a call for weighing in on who might work as mods. It's not.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 12:00:57 AM by iago »
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2010, 10:02:51 PM »
And you can toodle around the threads on the Spankwagon.

Reckon it would look something like this...

Jump to the 1:00 minute mark.

http://www.artistdirect.com/artist/videos/rob-zombie/533912-578104-1

That is special!!!! Will the long hair and bad teeth also be required?
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2010, 12:41:28 AM »
Are the lolcatz coming back?????

I liked the lolcats and the demotivators. they make me laugh/smile, and they make for good post stuff in other forums. people here know what's funny, so I don't have to look far to grab funny pics. :D
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2010, 12:55:43 AM »
Folks can start that sort of thing up on the It Came From The Internets board.
Fred Hicks

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2010, 02:10:17 AM »
When we want people to weigh in on who should or should not be named as moderators, we will tell you. Please do not take this thread as a call for weighing in on who might work as mods. It's not.

Didn't mean to create an issue there.  Shecky just seemed like the responsible type and a good example of a hypothetical candidate for the hypothetical position...

Back on topic, I really do believe having "mini-mods" on the prowl will help reduce the annoyance levels for the 'real' mods.  At least that's my hope...
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2010, 02:14:31 AM »
Folks can start that sort of thing up on the It Came From The Internets Teh Intarwebz board.

FIFY; get it right next time. ;D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2010, 02:18:15 AM »
Shecky just seemed like the responsible type and a good example of a hypothetical candidate for the hypothetical position...

Some folks might not agree with that. I admit I sounded snarky with what I got slapped for, but I didn't know how to state it better.
//Sings
"If you've been messaged to ignore me clap your hands!"
:)

knnn said "All must now bow in presence of your Dresden-Fu."