Author Topic: Not-so-True Shapeshifting  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Walker_Blade

• Participant
    • View Profile
Not-so-True Shapeshifting
« on: May 09, 2010, 03:03:45 AM »
So it seems to me that true shapeshifting, does not really reflect shapeshifting as we have seen it in the dresden books, I can't remember anyone ever turning into an inanimate object.  is removing the ability to shift into inanimate things worth a -1 to the refresh cost?  It seems like it removes a large amount of variety and utility from the power, but it's not something most people with shapeshifting would usually use.

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
Re: Not-so-True Shapeshifting
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 07:27:43 AM »
Nah. Because sometimes you need to keep the beer cold and spy on snooping people at the same time - what better way than to shapeshift into a refrigerator?
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 06:30:32 PM »
So it seems to me that true shapeshifting, does not really reflect shapeshifting as we have seen it in the dresden books, I can't remember anyone ever turning into an inanimate object.  is removing the ability to shift into inanimate things worth a -1 to the refresh cost?  It seems like it removes a large amount of variety and utility from the power, but it's not something most people with shapeshifting would usually use.

Some of what that is getting you is the ability to rewrite your skill list at will, and excuse to buy modular abilities.

On the other hand, if your high concept is Awesome Animagus,  and you buy True shapeshifting, you can only shift into animals, but everytime you say 'If only I could turn into a hedge" (plant not animal), or "What we really need is a ladder, if only I could reach", you hold out your hand, and the GM should place a FATE point into it...

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 09:00:47 PM »
Yeah, the limitation of not being able to be a lamp when you can be a mouse or a fly isn't worth any more than an occasional compel.

Not being able to assume human forms at all (and thus forgoing the disguise bonus in many situations) might be worth dropping it to -3. Emphasis on might, I'd probably still handle it with Compels, honestly.