Author Topic: White Council Membership  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
White Council Membership
« on: April 13, 2010, 05:28:05 PM »
Full Members of the White, Red and Black Courts arent subject to policing by the White Council.
But I'm not shure about the fringe cases.

Who can/should get Membership?

Only Humans?
What about Changlings?
Red Court Infected?
etc.

On which groups does the Withe Council enforce the Laws of Magic?
Obviously on Human Wizards, Sorcerers, Minor Talents.
Changlings?

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: White Council Membership
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 05:33:01 PM »
For membership, I would say only full-fledged Wizard (or Wizard-potentials) are able to be members of the White Council. I say this because there are certain exams (left somewhat nebulous to us, thus far) about power and versatility that must be met. As for types of individuals... I guess it depends on if you consider Changelings and Red Court Infected to be mortal? Maybe?

As for enforcement, they expressly look over any type of Mortal magic. That said, and as was pointed out by Fred in another post, if they see something going on in violation of the Laws, Wardens may chop first and ask questions later.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 05:49:03 PM »
Full wizards only. Anyone else gets "ally" status.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 07:05:08 PM »
Full Wizard meaning Evocation and Thaumaturgic Powers?
Could be an Changeling. Its (almost?) an classic for an Wizard to get his magic from an "special" parent.

So an Changeling could be an member of the White Council (if he has full Wizardly Power)?

What if he is not an Member and violates one of the Laws, I think he gets the Lawbreaker Power...
Would the Warden execute him/her/it or would he fall under fairy law?

What if the Changeling doesnt have the Evocation and Thaumaturgic Powers, but only the Sponsored Magic.
Would that change anything about the answers?

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 07:13:10 PM »
Full wizards being those who have been tested by a member of the council.  Apprentices are not considered full members (as far as having a say in things) until they have passed their tests.

The Wardens will lay the laws down on anyone they can (provided doing so doesn't interfere with the accords).  For instance in Turn Coat:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 07:25:57 PM »
Yeah but Binder is human.
There is no power block behind him.

Maybe I should rephrase my question.

Can nonhuman or parthumans or halfhumans try the test before the White Council for an full membership?

The Wardens will lay the laws down on anyone they can (provided doing so doesn't interfere with the accords). 

Goes reading the accords...

Ah, the second rephrased question is:
To which faction do Changelings count? Fairy (be it Winter or Sommer) or Human?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 07:26:03 PM »
Yeah. Don't talk power templates here. Talk what's established in the novels. Because that's what rules it here. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »
Changelings (afaik) don't belong to any side until they make the change.  Sadly this makes them fair game for anyone who wants to pick on them and gives them no protection whatsoever until they decide. 
(click to show/hide)

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 07:48:16 PM »
Changelings (afaik) don't belong to any side until they make the change.  Sadly this makes them fair game for anyone who wants to pick on them and gives them no protection whatsoever until they decide. 
(click to show/hide)

Have to disagree here. They got picked upon by the Fairie side. Its not so clear, what would happen if someone other would pick upon changelings.
IMHO Changelings are especially usefull as long as they have not made any choice. Free will, but vulnerable to fairies.

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 08:01:37 PM »
Yeah. Don't talk power templates here. Talk what's established in the novels. Because that's what rules it here. :)

Well, in the novels only full humans are White Council wizards.
At least we have only seen full humans as White Council wizards.

That leaves still my second part of the question...

Do the fairies care if the White Council kills Changelings for Violations against the Laws of Magic.

Maybe I should have started two different threads?

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 08:14:06 PM »
According to Meryl in SK changelings are under the control of the Court of their fey parent until they choose to become pure mortals. This would mean that if tried by the WC and proved to be a changeling they should have the backing of the appropriate court and might therefore be ruled not under WC jurisdiction however this could also label them as non-human putting them outside its protection as well making them fair game to be killed by any means if they are a threat to the human population. Being a Changeling should not provide license to get around the 7 laws if it endangers the humans that the WC protects anything else would be an internal matter of the fey subject to the appropriate court. Also if the magic is sponsored it is subject to shutdown by the sponsor if the caster breaks any rules set by them.
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.
"The world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived."

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 08:32:28 PM »
According to Meryl in SK changelings are under the control of the Court of their fey parent until they choose to become pure mortals.
Thanks!
This would mean that if tried by the WC and proved to be a changeling they should have the backing of the appropriate court and might therefore be ruled not under WC jurisdiction however this could also label them as non-human putting them outside its protection as well making them fair game to be killed by any means if they are a threat to the human population.
Where do you get that from?
Or are you talking about situation like Harry had with Bianca? An war declaration after the fact?

Being a Changeling should not provide license to get around the 7 laws if it endangers the humans that the WC protects
Are we talking about the same White Council, if Harry didnt got lured into starting the war, the WC would have no problem with Red Vamp. eating humans (as long as they do it discreetly).

anything else would be an internal matter of the fey subject to the appropriate court. Also if the magic is sponsored it is subject to shutdown by the sponsor if the caster breaks any rules set by them.
That goes without saying, but I think someone like Mab or Titania would have other rules than those of the WC...

But thanks for the Meryl quote, I'll go from there:
As long as the Changeling didnt choose pure Mortal they are under the jurisdiction of the Fairies. If they break an Law of Magic they get the Lawbreaker "Power" and have to pay in Refresh.

Offline flymolo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 09:03:10 PM »
This makes me want to play a Changeling cramming for the White council exams to have protection from Mab or some other scary fae.

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 10:08:44 PM »
When Harry
(click to show/hide)
Lucio tells him that his duties are the same as what he has been doing all along just in a Grey cloak. The point of the 7 laws is to protect humanity from magic. Vamps who feed on humans open themselves up to retribution from the mortal community. The wolf feeds on the deer but can't sue if a buck kicks him in the head. The war started because Harry violated the terms of the Accords by breaking the rules of hospitality in Bianca's home.

To Quote the WC Wikipedia entry
"They primarily protect humanity from abuses of magic, but also shield this world from the Sidhe and other creatures that wish humanity harm."

So any changeling causing widespread harm to humans in general or attacks on WC members would be classified as a monstrous threat and/or a declaration of war by the Sidhe court responsible for them. 
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.
"The world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived."

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 07:00:13 AM »
So any changeling causing widespread harm to humans in general or attacks on WC members would be classified as a monstrous threat and/or a declaration of war by the Sidhe court responsible for them. 

the WC would have no problem with Red Vamp. eating humans (as long as they do it discreetly).

I think we arent really disagreeing.

A Changeling on an murder spree or something similiar would be hunted down.
But if its something subtle/small scale. Where a human would be killed to be on the safe side, a Changeling would get free.

Otherwise the WC would have to declare war at least on all Vampire Courts.

This makes me want to play a Changeling cramming for the White council exams to have protection from Mab or some other scary fae.
But would he be allowed to take the tests?  ;)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:03:02 AM by Korwin »