Author Topic: Question about guns EDIT: Guns Akimbo?  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
Question about guns EDIT: Guns Akimbo?
« on: April 13, 2010, 04:28:49 AM »
What are Harry's guns stated as? Early in the novels he uses a .357 magnum, later upgrading to a .44 magnum. I was wondering if either of these count as Weapon:3 "Oversized Pistols" or Weapon:2 pistols.

I'm currently stating up a cop character that uses SIG Sauer P226 with .357 SIG ammo, I'm not the best expert on guns but I think that's more or less equal to a normal .357 magnum.

I really wish there was a quick Q&A thread for asking simple questions, I didn't think this deserved it's own but I couldn't find a similar thread to ask.

EDIT: Are there rules for using guns at the same time? Or would one take a stunt similar to the "Off-Hand Weapon Training" stunt on page 156... but for guns instead
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 07:51:18 PM by Mal_Luck »
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Question about guns
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 04:35:32 AM »
Weapon:2 is usually a pretty safe call, but I'll let Lenny speak to this; I'm clueless about firearms.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 02:42:28 PM »
bump
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline LCDarkwood

• Warden
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 03:02:01 PM »
Weapon:2 is usually a pretty safe call, but I'll let Lenny speak to this; I'm clueless about firearms.

Just because I sleep with a shotgun by the bed... sheesh, Fred.

My honest gut answer is, "I'd need to know why it matters." Real-life combat ballistic performance is a hideously complicated affair, so pretty much, any attempt at verisimilitude is going to fail spectacularly.

However, I can tell you that when I wrote down "oversized pistols", I was thinking of shit like the Desert Eagle, the Freedom Arms .454 Casull, the Thompson Contender in any rifle caliber, basically any of those pistols where one might look at it and wonder about the practical wisdom of putting a round that powerful into that small a frame.

Wikipedia says, "In its full-powered form, [the .44 magnum round] produces too much recoil and muzzle blast to be suitable for a police weapon as it makes rapid fire difficult and strenuous on the users' hands; in particular for shooters of smaller build or with small hands."

Later, it also says that the round is suitable for taking out brown bears.

I leave the decision up to you. :)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Question about guns EDIT: Guns Akimbo?
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 10:05:52 PM »
EDIT: Are there rules for using guns at the same time? Or would one take a stunt similar to the "Off-Hand Weapon Training" stunt on page 156... but for guns instead

You could do it without a Stunt, but it wouldn't have any mechanical effect, to have a benefit, you'd need a Stunt.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
Re: Question about guns EDIT: Guns Akimbo?
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 02:51:53 AM »
You could do it without a Stunt, but it wouldn't have any mechanical effect, to have a benefit, you'd need a Stunt.

Like the book says, if there isn't a stunt that does it, make one that does. There's one for melee weapons, there is nothing that says you can't make a stunt that does basically the same thing for hand guns.

Watch out though for the inevitable Tag of "Out of Ammo"
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...