Author Topic: Writeable/Safeable Char. Sheet?  (Read 35325 times)

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
Re: Writeable/Safeable Char. Sheet?
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
you need a username and password to access....
strange, it shouldn't... i'll look into it

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2010, 05:54:20 PM »
strange, it shouldn't... i'll look into it
looked into it, password is gone now.

enjoy

Offline pfloyd

• Participant
  • Team Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2010, 06:29:09 PM »
Interesting...
If I may, at some point I may want to improve on this a bit, make it a bit more automatic, throw in some drop-down boxes for selections, and the like...

Good work on it though.
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." -- Douglas Adams

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2010, 06:07:50 AM »
Interesting...
If I may, at some point I may want to improve on this a bit, make it a bit more automatic, throw in some drop-down boxes for selections, and the like...

Good work on it though.

Purpose in the Character set was just to replicate what exists.  The next "hurdle" is to try and improve, to wit I already have a prototype for the "character sheet" so my next part would be to improve the Phases Worksheet into more of a Story Log so that new characters can be introduced and possibly changes (or at least milestones) recorded as stories ... possibly with Fate Point bonuses for doing so.

Will also try hand at the expanded character sheet request (above) as well.
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2010, 01:10:57 PM »
Okidoki, now that i have given Dwarf's Sheet a place to stay...

Here's the competition :)

www.musterpuffer.de/RP/df/DFRPG_Sheet_simple.ods
This one is for A4 Paper. (The two fonts used are "Percolator Expert" and "Preston Script", also Wingdings for the Stress "boxes")

* Power Level can be selected by dropdown menu.
* Skills can be selected by dropdown menu, and skill cost is calculated for you.
* Refresh Cost is calculated.
* Fields for additional refresh and additional skill points (those are not printed, only used for calculation of available skill points and adjusted refresh).
* Additional powerlevels can be added at your leisure.

To Come:
A sheet with a second space for skills (For were Forms and the like)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 01:15:26 PM by Tsunami »

Offline pfloyd

• Participant
  • Team Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2010, 03:28:59 PM »
Not bad with the Open Office one either... but a fair amount of room for improvement...  plus you have cells that are too small for the text contained within. Slight design issue that can be easily fixed, I would wager.

What I'm considering is this:
A page to choose character options, such as Power Level.
A page for each Aspect, such as Concept and Trouble, one for each story, etc.
A page for Skills
A page for Mortal Stunts
A page for Powers

Last page would be the actual character sheet.

I started working on this a while back. Maybe it's time to dredge it up again...

Edit:
I pulled it up from my USB thumbdrive that has my DFRPG material.
Right now, it's an Excel file with all the page tabs figured out. Right now it's more data entry before I work the data manipulation, then design the final character sheet.

Once I get this done and working (and then perhaps port it into OpenOffice), perhaps I'll work on a City Building workbook.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:37:04 PM by pfloyd »
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." -- Douglas Adams

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2010, 05:26:15 PM »
Not bad with the Open Office one either... but a fair amount of room for improvement...  plus you have cells that are too small for the text contained within. Slight design issue that can be easily fixed, I would wager.
There's always room for improvement...  ;)

As for the cells, it's meant to be printed out, and when printed the text fits nicely. At least for me.
It's done with the three font's mentioned above, so there might be issues if you don't have those installed.
If you don't have the fonts and don't want them either, just remove the protection from the sheet and adjust the font size. (there is no password, the protection is just there to avoid accidental changes to the cells that contain functions)

What I'm considering is this:
A page to choose character options, such as Power Level.
A page for each Aspect, such as Concept and Trouble, one for each story, etc.
A page for Skills
A page for Mortal Stunts
A page for Powers

Last page would be the actual character sheet.

I started working on this a while back. Maybe it's time to dredge it up again...

Edit:
I pulled it up from my USB thumbdrive that has my DFRPG material.
Right now, it's an Excel file with all the page tabs figured out. Right now it's more data entry before I work the data manipulation, then design the final character sheet.

Once I get this done and working (and then perhaps port it into OpenOffice), perhaps I'll work on a City Building workbook.
I did something in that direction a while back but with a little less detailed pages.
A Character Booklet with pages for all the aspects and a double page in the middle so that you can put it in front of you on the table and have all the info you need to play in one place. Actually, i've been meaning to put it up here... so...

ok... wait... where is it *cluttering sounds, rustling paper* ahh. here.

www.musterpuffer.de/RP/df/charbooklet_A5.pdf
This is a pdf, meant to be printed and then filled out by hand, i've been meaning to adjust the ods file to make it fillable... that's next on my list.

It's meant to be printed as a booklet on A4 paper, so that you can fold it in half and then flip through the pages. With my printer the function is called "broschürendruck" don't know what that would be called in english. "Booklet-printing" perhaps... the wikipedia duplex-printing page calls it "Double-sided booklet (2:2 with a center fold)".
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:27:56 PM by Tsunami »

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »
Not bad with the Open Office one either... but a fair amount of room for improvement

There is ALWAYS room for improvement.
The Open Office one was designed to mimic the book sheet.  I will see about cleaning up my advanced one today and sending it to Tsunami.

I hope others find the spreadsheets useful and use them as a basis to design better versions :)

I got a few so I can send those in today as well :)

Edit: Copies sent

and here is an image of a revised Character Phases sheet I am toying with.  It would allow room for additional stories, likely usable for when Aspects change (to record the changes) when certain plateaus are reached.  Not "finished" yet because I am still debating what else should be tracked, etc.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 08:26:27 PM by theDwarf »
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician

Offline pfloyd

• Participant
  • Team Dresden
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2010, 12:47:52 PM »
Okay, looking good.
This may be a bit of an aesthetic thing with me, but I'm thinking that instead of lots of little cells inside a section, I would consider merging all the cells within a section. You can adjust the text alignment afterward, because merging cells always centers the contents.

I'm still working on the mechanics and data entry for mine. This may take a while.

Offline Holocron.Coder

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2010, 02:14:43 PM »
Been using CableRouter's character sheet and ran into an unusual problem - the "Story Title" portions of the Phases section does not allow spaces ???.
DV HolocronCoder v1.2 YR3 FR1.5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH+ WG+++ CL+ BC+ MC+++++ SH[Murph++ Molly+ Thomas---]

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2010, 02:05:07 AM »
Been using CableRouter's character sheet and ran into an unusual problem - the "Story Title" portions of the Phases section does not allow spaces ???.
What are you using to open the file?  On my system Foxit Reader 2.3 works fine.  

Checking Acrobat...
<low muttering>...
Wow, yet another "feature" from Adobe, why am I not surprised!

Apparently it seriously insists that right justified text end at the right and it won't even let you enter a space on the right edge.
Other than my standard suggestion to get a much more user friendly PDF reader, the following will work.
Go into the Story Title Box (same for Guest Appearing boxes too), hit the x key, hit backspace and type what you want, then
hit the delete key to delete the x.  This will also allow you to have spaces at the end of the line, which shouldn't have been an
issue in the first place.  Using Adobe products is like smashing my face into a brick wall, it only feels good when I stop.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:52:23 PM by CableRouter »

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2010, 06:14:27 AM »
my standard suggestion to get a much more user friendly PDF reader

After a virus forced me to do a format and reboot, I finally got around to taking this advice and I have to say that Foxit is as cool as has been suggested in this thread. Tons better then Adobe in loading speed and resource usage. Thanx for the heads up on it. :)
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2010, 11:57:43 PM »
After a virus forced me to do a format and reboot, I finally got around to taking this advice and I have to say that Foxit is as cool as has been suggested in this thread. Tons better then Adobe in loading speed and resource usage. Thanx for the heads up on it. :)

You're welcome!  Adobe is first and foremost a business application, I can respect that, but it's really a shame that PDF remained a proprietary format of Adobe for so long.  It became an open format in July 2008 and that's really stunted the development of PDF 'Lite' tools for us casual users.

Offline Abhoth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2010, 07:52:17 AM »
What pdf reader should I use to be able to save data? acrobat reader wont do it.