Author Topic: Writeable/Safeable Char. Sheet?  (Read 35330 times)

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
Re: Writeable/Safeable Char. Sheet?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 07:50:22 PM »
Are your major NPC sheets coming out with a forums one I can type in? I prefer to type than write so I have a hard copy of my everything in case the paper version is lost.

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 01:13:32 AM »
Anyone allready made on?

Yep, I made an Open Office version that can track or aid in creation of a character of any/all of the four levels.
I have not yet gotten it to sync stresses :(

Actually designed it to accept 4 characters and parse each of their stories (Aspect #3) onto one printable page so they can be circulated around a table and discussed/joined to get the cross stories (#4 & #5).
If you have more than 4 players a second copy would be needed for those characters/stories.

The version that handles all four phases (Feet in Water through Submerged) I created for myself for character building.

Only concern is legality of distributing, but I have no problem discussing WHAT I did and HOW (example: I used "m m m m m m m m" in Wingdings for Stress trackers to get those nice round fill holes)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:21:22 AM by theDwarf »
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician

Offline BigMrE

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 02:51:56 AM »
any chance of asking for a copy? ;D

Tbora

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 02:54:08 AM »
I need a fill-able character sheet where you can up the level of the skill cap (like add fantastic to it if the game ever reaches this point).Has anyone put such a thing together?

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 04:06:04 AM »
any chance of asking for a copy? ;D

Like I said ...
Quote from: theDwarf
Only concern is legality of distributing, but I have no problem discussing WHAT I did and HOW (example: I used "m m m m m m m m" in Wingdings for Stress trackers to get those nice round fill holes)
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician

Offline theDwarf

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 04:16:15 AM »
I need a fill-able character sheet where you can up the level of the skill cap (like add fantastic to it if the game ever reaches this point).Has anyone put such a thing together?

If you are using spreadsheet it is fairly easy to create nested IFs to handle the cases.

For example, if cell B118 is the text for power level then:
  • =IF(OR(B118="Chest-Deep";B118="Submerged");"Superb";"Great")
could be put in cell F118

• =IF(F118="Great";"+4";IF(F118="Superb";"+5";"???"))
could be put in the cell where you put the numeric skill cap and

• =IF(B118="Feet in the Water";20;IF(B118="Up to Your Waist";25;IF(B118="Chest-Deep";30;IF(B118="Submerged";35;"Err"))))
In the cell where "Total Skill Points Available goes.

You can have another cell sum up skill points (multiplying by cost).

A similar cell could be set for Base Refresh Level
  • =IF(B118="Feet in the Water";6;IF(B118="Up to Your Waist";7;IF(B118="Chest-Deep";8;IF(B118="Submerged";10;"Err"))))

Similarly Total Refresh Adjustment could be summed and then Adjusted Refresh determined.

If you know what you are doing you should be able to whip one up in a few hours (4-8 hrs).
-D.M.Zwerg
Mathematician

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 04:31:40 AM »
If you ever get a skill that high, you're not going to be fuzzy about which one it is, just put it on the first line of the powers section; which probably isn't a bad place to list a skill that high.

Only concern is legality of distributing,
Ah, that reminds me of the good old days of Lorraine Williams from TSR trying to copyright terms like hit points, armor class and saving throw to try to sue people for posting their home brewed AD&D modules on the fledgling internet.  Worst case scenario, someone from Evil Hat sees it and tells you to stop.  If you're waiting to get official permission, I seriously doubt the legal department would allow it. :)

If you are using spreadsheet it is fairly easy to create nested IFs to handle the cases.
I'm a big fan of lookup tables myself.  Makes it easier for me to wade back into a project after a few months and understand what I did.

Offline shuzumi

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 05:27:15 AM »
well i made one that isn't quite as printer friendly as the other pdf but i like it http://www.mediafire.com/?kzmnutbjkgo

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 06:54:13 AM »
Only concern is legality of distributing...

@all that are interested :)

DFRPG is released under the Open Gaming License which is pretty open, and I'm assuming that choice in license was intentional.

A couple things when making decisions about releasing stuff.

1) If you are not verbatim copy/pasting from the books then there is no issue at all and you are in the clear. Describing things in your own words, automating game mechanics, using identifying terms (like Template, High Concept, Aspect, Wizard, names and mechanics of skills/stunts/powers, etc), or using creations of Jim Butcher (like Harry Dresden, White Council, etc) are all ok and clearly covered under the Open Gaming License of the rpg or the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial license of Jim Butcher fan creations. Basically, those licenses mean it is ok to use that stuff as long as you give credit and don't try to make a profit.

2) A good rule of thumb is to ask yourself the following question. Would what you release make someone go, "Ooo, I don't need to buy the books now!!"? If so then probably shouldn't release it. On the other hand, if what you want to release would make people say, "Cool, when I get the books that will really help out!!", then you should be alright.

3) I would like to note that this thread is devoted to utilities for handling characters and such, and it has been stickied by the staff for what that is worth to anyone. If nothing else, you got to figure that this thread is read by some moderator that would pass the word if "bad stuff" was posted.

4) If you still aren't sure, post up what parts of the books you are recreating and I'm sure people can let you know in general if it could be an issue or not.

5) If all else fails, feel free to pm me a link to what you got. I am not a lawyer, but I've dealt with licenses for several years now and am always happy to lend an opinion. Something being clearly not ok or totally ok is pretty easy to spot once you've read through the legalize of the licenses a few dozen times.

Hope that helps. Just my opinion as some nobody on the web, but if I'm wrong in any of this please some one official jump up and smack me down with correct info as I have no desire to spread incorrectness. :)
For evil to conquer, good men need only do nothing.
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
When Scientists ask questions, Engineers build answers.

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 07:31:14 AM »
well i made one that isn't quite as printer friendly as the other pdf but i like it http://www.mediafire.com/?kzmnutbjkgo

That looks pretty good. Couple things, I noticed you can't save it and on the second page you can't type text into the Character and Player boxes. All and all, very nice.

Offline shuzumi

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 02:50:25 PM »
That looks pretty good. Couple things, I noticed you can't save it and on the second page you can't type text into the Character and Player boxes. All and all, very nice.

i didn't put boxes on the second page character and player areas on purpose.  as far as saving i'm not sure what program are you using? adobe reader won't save but the basic version of foxit will

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 04:22:30 PM »
Hey all, with regard to saving some of the fillable forms, I've never used Foxit (thanks shuzumi, I'm going to try that later) but I know that 'Cute PDF' will save.

http://www.cutepdf.com/
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline Jeckel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 08:38:05 PM »
as far as saving i'm not sure what program are you using? adobe reader won't save but the basic version of foxit will

hmm, I am using Adobe Reader, but it allows saving of the other fillable worksheets in this thread, so I just thought I would mention it. :)

Offline shuzumi

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 08:41:15 PM »
hmm, I am using Adobe Reader, but it allows saving of the other fillable worksheets in this thread, so I just thought I would mention it. :)

weird last time i used it it never saved anything perhaps i broke it...

Offline CableRouter

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2010, 12:28:30 AM »

Foxit works just fine on the sheets I created.  Acrobat won't open a sheet that's been edited and then saved with Foxit for some reason known only to Adobe.

That said, Foxit is the superior product and I give it a two thumbs up recommendation to anyone using my character sheet. :)