Author Topic: Harry's Stats plus Assorted Other Stat Revisions (Small Favor through Cold Days)  (Read 171290 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Harry's Stats as of Small Favor/Turn Coat plus Assorted Other Stat Revisions
« Reply #330 on: February 22, 2012, 07:41:34 AM »
No, I hadn't noticed.

It does seem low though, now that you mention it.

Offline waddesdonbaz

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Harry's Stats as of Small Favor/Turn Coat plus Assorted Other Stat Revisions
« Reply #331 on: December 11, 2012, 09:48:04 PM »
Sorry to play Kemmlerian with this thread, but what are your thoughts about Harry post Changes/Ghost Story/Cold Days? His refresh must have gone up by at least 5.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 12, 2012, 01:35:50 AM »
Uh...I just read Cold Days and am in a Dresden-y mood again. Also, this forum has slowed down enough I don't feel I'll be overwhelmed keeping up with it...so I'm back. And will almost certainly be updating, well, everyone involved (basically, Harry*, Thomas, Murphy, Molly, Mouse, and maybe Butters...well, and Fix, Lily, and Maeve) for both Ghost Story and Cold Days. Though it may take a bit of time...

So, yeah, triumphant return and all that. Or something. Seemed like a good place for it anyway. Homey.

*Though I'm not gonna worry about Harry's ghost stats in terms of powers. I'm inclined to think those were mostly "You can spend FP and do appropriate things!" and very little else anyway.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 12, 2012, 02:35:08 AM »
So, post Changes stuff are such big, well, changes that I'm doing new sheets. Here's a post Cold Days Harry.

Name: Harry Dresden

Aspects:
High Concept: Wizardly Winter Knight
Trouble: Am I One of the Monsters?
Other:
Epic Wiseass
I Trust My Brother
I Do What I Have To
Warden of Demonreach
The Building Was On Fire and It Wasn’t My Fault

Skills:

Fantastic: Conviction,
Superb: Discipline, Endurance, Lore,
Great: Alertness, Athletics, Intimidation,
Good: Contacts, Might, Fists, Weapons,
Fair: Deceit, Empathy, Guns, Investigation, Rapport,
Average: Burglary, Performance, Presence, Scholarship, Stealth,

Stunts:

Listening (See sheet) (-1)

Powers:

Refinements [-5]
Evocation [–3]
Thaumaturgy [–3]
Sponsored Magic: Soulfire [-3]
Sponsored Magic: Unseelie Magic [-2]
The Sight [–1]
Soulgaze [+0]
Lawbreaker (First) [–1]
Marked By Power [-1]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
The Catch is Cold Iron and the trappings of Summer [+3]

Item of Power (Mother's Pendant) [+1]; effecting:
Worldwalker [-2]

Total: -26 Refresh

Specializations:

Evocation: Elements (Air, Fire, Earth, Spirit); Power (Spirit +2, Fire+2), Control (Spirit+1, Fire+1)
Thaumaturgy: Control (Divination +1); Crafting (Strength +1)

Focus and Enchanted Items:
None. This sucks quite a bit. I guess technically 14 potion slots, but he never uses them. See below for an idea on why.

Stress:

Mental: OOOO (+1 Minor Consequence)
Physical: OOOO(OO) (+1 Minor Consequence)
Social: OOO
Armor: 1, or by spell or item effect.

Notes on advancement by Book:

Small Favor: Harry has the stats in post #1 of this thread post-Small Favor. His Refresh is 18.

Turn Coat: 1 Major Milestone, 1 Significant. Harry’s Fists goes to Fair, and he gains Empathy at Average. His Refresh goes up by 1, which he uncharacteristically saves.

Changes: Four Major Milestones (Finding out he has a daughter, becoming Winter Knight, sacrificing Susan, saving his daughter). His Weapons rises to Good, while his Athletics rises to Great and his Conviction to Fantastic, and he gains Average Might. He also, unfortunately, gains -9 Refresh worth of powers (Marked By Power, Unseelie Magic, Inhuman Strength, Speed, and Toughness, with the above Winter Knight Catch, and an Item of Power granting Worldwalker) and would be reduced to NPC-dom at the end of the scenario...if other forces didn't intervene. His Refresh is -3 at this point (meaning he needs 4 to be PC-able again).

Ghost Story: Harry gets 2 more Major Milestones (finding out the truth about his death, Uriel's seven words) in this one, as well as a Significant (beating the villain). Due to losing at least all the physical powers, he is not an NPC for this. He gains Superb Discipline and Fair Empathy and Fair Might. His Refresh is now -1.

Cold Days: Okay, I think, to avoid NPC-dom, Harry gave up all his Item Slots for this one. That's a bit more than 3 Refresh, so by my calculations should leave him at 1-2 Refresh or so. I'd allow it as a temporary measure in my game if it made sense (which it does). But those Major Milestones keep on coming, giving him 3 more in this one (
(click to show/hide)
) along with 1 significant (
(click to show/hide)
) and raises his Fists to Good, his Alertness to Great, his Lore to Superb, and his Might to Good.

He is now Refresh 2/28 and 60 skill points. Damn. I'd personally bet he also gets another Refinement...but we won't know what it's used on till next book, so it goes unused for now.

On Lawbreaker: Personally, due to events in Ghost Story and Cold Days (and possibly even as far back as Changes) I think Harry's hit the point of going to -2 on Lawbreaker. That's not indisputable...but I think the evidence (particularly in his attitude towards death) is pretty compelling. If you agree with me, tack on another level of Lawbreaker (he has the Refresh for it)...if you disagree, don't.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:10:46 AM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 12, 2012, 02:45:27 AM »
I actually would think that the Warden thing would be important enough to make it to his HC. Something along the lines of WARDEN AND WINTER KNIGHT. Since you have to be a wizard to be the Warden.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 12, 2012, 03:02:47 AM »
Anyone notice Thomas onl has a +1 Rapport?

Seems very low.

Longest response-time, ever, but: Aside from women wanting to sleep with him...he's really not as good as Harry at being friendly and likable. And Harry's Rapport is Fair. He's got Presence, and can lie his way through anything, but just being friendly? Not really his strong suit.

I actually would think that the Warden thing would be important enough to make it to his HC. Something along the lines of WARDEN AND WINTER KNIGHT. Since you have to be a wizard to be the Warden.

Debatably. I could certainly see it...but being a Warden in the classic sense hasn't been any part of what he's been doing for the last three books. At all. Being the Warden of Demonreach has, this last book, but that's not the same job at all, and I gave him an Aspect for it. If he goes back to his duties as a Warden, I'd then change it back, but not till then.

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 12, 2012, 04:12:34 AM »
Hopefully we'll see Fix finally get some more weapon related stunts. Since Harry mentions that Fix has instinctive fighting knowledge  on how to fight his Winter counterpart would you put that as a custom stunt?. Also since Harry specifically refers to him as a White Court Champion, do you think that would merit becoming one of Thomas's aspects if not his new HC?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 12, 2012, 04:29:34 AM »
On Fix: He already had Great Weapons, which is nothing to sneeze at (Luccio and Michael have only a point higher and, like him, a single Stunt...only shiro really outshines him, and, well, he should in raw skill). I'll re-read the fight for re-statting purposes, but I'm not sure how many weapons stunts (or skill-buffs) he might get if any. I'm more likely to up his magic than his combat prowess, I think.

And the 'fighting your counterpart' thing is clearly a combination of Invoking their High Concept Aspects and being Compelled to do stuff via Sponsor Debt.

On Thomas: Not High Concept, that's not what defines him, I don't think. Maybe as something...I'll think about it.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 12, 2012, 04:56:48 AM »
Uh...I just read Cold Days and am in a Dresden-y mood again. Also, this forum has slowed down enough I don't feel I'll be overwhelmed keeping up with it...so I'm back. And will almost certainly be updating, well, everyone involved (basically, Harry*, Thomas, Murphy, Molly, Mouse, and maybe Butters...well, and Fix, Lily, and Maeve) for both Ghost Story and Cold Days. Though it may take a bit of time...

So, yeah, triumphant return and all that. Or something. Seemed like a good place for it anyway. Homey.

*Though I'm not gonna worry about Harry's ghost stats in terms of powers. I'm inclined to think those were mostly "You can spend FP and do appropriate things!" and very little else anyway.

Welcome back!

Since you're here, I can thank you for getting me into this whole DFRPG forum thing. IIRC I originally signed up because I wanted to comment on your animal thread.

That aside, I think Harry should at least have Spirit Form for when he's a ghost. But canon Spirit Form doesn't model ghosts all that well, so lemme show you the rewrite that we came up with to fix that. It's kinda long, since it's supposed to cover a whole bunch of different types of spirit at once.

(click to show/hide)

As for the item slot thing, you can probably just ditch some Refinements or have them give Specializations. Dropping Powers like that may or may not be possible by the RAW, but Harry's got a good excuse.

You might also be able to get rid of Listening or Lawbreaker. YS mentions that redeeming a Lawbreaker might be possible. And Listening isn't really important to Harry's character.

Then again, my local bookstore is going out of business so I haven't read Cold Days yet. Maybe I'm missing something important.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 12, 2012, 05:36:05 AM »
Welcome back!

Since you're here, I can thank you for getting me into this whole DFRPG forum thing. IIRC I originally signed up because I wanted to comment on your animal thread.

You're very welcome.  :)

That aside, I think Harry should at least have Spirit Form for when he's a ghost. But canon Spirit Form doesn't model ghosts all that well, so lemme show you the rewrite that we came up with to fix that. It's kinda long, since it's supposed to cover a whole bunch of different types of spirit at once.

That looks workable. And yeah, he was clearly incorporeal...it's just all his other powers that seemed fiat-based to some degree. Also, the whole thing was very temporary and left no ongoing effects per se...so I'm just not that worried about it, to be honest.

As for the item slot thing, you can probably just ditch some Refinements or have them give Specializations. Dropping Powers like that may or may not be possible by the RAW, but Harry's got a good excuse.

You might also be able to get rid of Listening or Lawbreaker. YS mentions that redeeming a Lawbreaker might be possible. And Listening isn't really important to Harry's character.

Then again, my local bookstore is going out of business so I haven't read Cold Days yet. Maybe I'm missing something important.

Ah! Well, I don't think it's a huge spoiler to say that he doesn't use a single item the whole book. Hence, my saying that he scrapped his Item Slots temporarily...which, at 1 Refresh per two slots, pays for things pretty well.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 12, 2012, 05:39:16 AM »
That looks workable. And yeah, he was clearly incorporeal...it's just all his other powers that seemed fiat-based to some degree.

Declarations are good for that. They basically run off of "that sounds reasonable".

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 12, 2012, 06:14:07 AM »
Declarations are good for that. They basically run off of "that sounds reasonable".

Absolutely.  :)

I don't consider this a problem...it's just thus pretty much not in need of statting.

Offline Jebm

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 12, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »
Since we now know that the Items of Power aren't needed to grant the Sidhe Knights their physical enhancements, what would you suggest  to replace those powers?.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 12, 2012, 02:08:47 PM »
At this point, I'm not sure we have any evidence that they have Items of Power at all. On that basis, I'd probably skip them having them.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 12, 2012, 10:03:03 PM »
But if you want to make the Declarations with a skill, you need a stunt or Power adding that trapping to the skill.

And we do want to make the Declarations with a skill (probably Conviction) because it's narratively appropriate for willpower to dictate how well the ghost mojo works and because most ghosts (including Harry) won't have the FP to do many Declarations without a skill.