Author Topic: Preorderers: First Impressions?  (Read 9814 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Preorderers: First Impressions?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 02:41:15 AM »
For someone who has never actually read an RPG manual before (I know, I know.  Typically hubby or BIL just made the character for me or told me what to add), it's very easy to understand and follow.

WIIIINNNNN!
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 02:41:40 AM »
I'm just gonna chime in and agree that the books are spectacularly awesome, I almost couldn't be happier. The only thing I haven't been completely satisfied with (only about 85% satisfied) is the character stats for some individual characters (I think Marcone should have Fair Fists and Great Weapons, just for example), and I've literally never been satisfied with character stats in an RPG, the fact that these have come close is phenomenal.

Offline Ink Slinger

• Posty McPostington
  • Angst Muffin~plot bunny breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 02:51:38 AM »
WIIIINNNNN!

Really, you guys have gone above and beyond.  I've never read a manual before because I just got so lost.  This one I get and I love it.  I'll be up way too late tonight reading.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 03:10:55 AM »
okay i am an avid dnd fan and have played several other pen papers rpg(was years ago and cant remember the names) i literally have over 30 dungeons and dragons books and having just finished reading your story... i would say that all of those books cant stand up to the amazingness. I really am almost ridiculously impressed. Great work. truly. ;D
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline xiaolung

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 03:33:49 AM »
As a long time MAGE fan, I did not know if this game would unseat the WoD as my go to game for modern sorcery/urban fantasy. Considering what I saw with SotC, I just thought it would be good to mine for ideas.

Just after reading the magic section, I came to realize THIS is the magic system I was looki g for all along.

Congrats on hitting the homer. You most likely made a hardcore WoD fan drop his d10s for Fudge dice.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 05:17:01 AM »
I'm going to have to keep myself from quoting back EVERYONE'S REPLIES because, damn, they're all just awesome. Thanks for the love, folks. I'll make sure the team all sees it. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 05:25:51 AM »
So far I really like the marginalia, it really makes the text faster reading and draws attention to important parts well. So far I've mostly read the core FATE stuff but I think that this version does a better job of explaining the basic concepts than SotC does.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 12:36:25 PM »
Addenda to earlier response:

These books are as much the page-turners as Jim Butcher's original novels. Every example, every new term, every new mechanic doesn't make the rules more complicated, but more flexible and I keep wanting more.

The presentation is unbelievable. I knew the entire book was presented as being "in-Dresdenverse" but I didn't realize how well done it was until I found myself reading material so I could read the side notes. This is the first book that I don't want to skim.

Good job, Guys! 
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline bestial warlust

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 03:18:53 PM »
More gushing. I've had time to read through more of it. Fantastic definitely worth waiting for. The blood sweat and tears of Evil Hats hard work shows I can't wait for the print versions!

Offline Menecrates

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 04:11:35 PM »
From Spain.... it's a great job!

Congrats!

keep reading...

Offline Whitestreak

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 06:23:49 PM »
OK, I've only been able to great through the first 20-odd pages, but I'm loving it! The graphics are great, and the notes keep making me laugh - my wife was wondering what was going on last night, with all the giggles.

I like that the notes are in three different styles, which makes keeping track of some of the threads fun. ;D

If I didn't have to go to work, or help my wife with chores, I would have been finished reading by now. However, both activities help me buy more stuff, like new RPGs and novels about some wizard in Chicago.

Offline Vulcanisik

• Conversationalist
  • Everything burns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 12:09:25 PM »
What do I think? I think I won't be getting much sleep in the next few weeks.
Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair.

Offline MacsNewBrew

• Conversationalist
  • Lurking faithfully since 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 04:24:46 PM »
Ordered it last night. I was order 667 = creepy. The neighbor of the beast.

Overall, I am very impressed. I will have to go back and re-read several sections...later though, Changes is out!
another one of those discussions about Heaven and God and the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Offline Knave

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 05:05:25 PM »
After careful and painstaking scientific analysis I have determined that the primary ingredient of the items under test is Awesome! with a sprinkling of Yeowza!  :P

Offline mauszozo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 05:13:18 PM »
Very nice.  I concur with everyone that said it's just plain fun to read.  Stayed up way too late reading it.  I absolutely love the "voice" of the writing.

Went through "Your World" this morning deleting the "stained notebook" background from all the pages before printing to save ink.  Printed it in 13 folios of 8 folded legal pages each, worked out perfectly.

Now after drawing on a few d6s a la this page: http://www.fudgefactor.org/2001/12/01/babys_first_fudge_dice.html, all I need is to lure in some unsuspecting friends to get this party started.