Author Topic: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3  (Read 137151 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3
« Reply #330 on: October 19, 2010, 03:21:01 AM »
Or perhaps you are thinking on Elaine (they soulgaze her first night togoether) or Susan (she deceived him to look into her eyes). I think he doesn't want to soulgaze Murphy because he is very unsecure and also because it is not polite. It is something worse than reading a personal Diary.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline rezilm

• Participant
  • Its Kinda Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 19, 2010, 03:34:06 AM »
I suppose. To take it in more of a fourth wall breaking way though. Everyone else around him has either forced him, tricked him, or accidentally soulgazed him. He does it at least once a book.

He even tries to 'gaze murphy in Grave Peril, but she's lost in the Nightmare.

I just wonder what her soulgaze would look like.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 19, 2010, 03:40:38 AM »
I wonder what HIS soulgaze would look like.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 19, 2010, 01:45:29 PM »
I wonder what HIS soulgaze would look like.

Me too. Although, at this point, Harry seems to be rather wary of finding out, because he's noted that almost everyone who soulgazes him seems to be kind of stunned by the experience.

I suppose. To take it in more of a fourth wall breaking way though. Everyone else around him has either forced him, tricked him, or accidentally soulgazed him. He does it at least once a book.

Everyone except for Molly, I think. He asked her to let him soulgaze her, and she let him do it, so it was something they both chose willingly. And the same might be said for Thomas, too, though Thomas seemed somewhat reluctant to agree, until Harry basically said it was the only way that he would believe Thomas was his brother.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline faithlessprophet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 20, 2010, 02:51:53 AM »
yall are correct, i was mixing murph and micheal in my head,i apollogize

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 22, 2010, 09:52:06 AM »
Can you describe Free will from Bob's perspective?
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 22, 2010, 10:15:56 AM »

He even tries to 'gaze murphy in Grave Peril, but she's lost in the Nightmare.

I just wonder what her soulgaze would look like.

I think we'll get to see the Harry/Murphy soulgaze in GS or soon. Wh
(click to show/hide)
and obviously he can't soulgaze anyone he's soulgazed before (maybe?) so it has to be building up to this. I don't think they'll soulgaze to get a measure of eachother , because they already know what the other's all about, it'll have to be something as a last resort ,the most practical thing . Ugh i hope that made sense,i'm not logical this late at night.

Offline mimicgogo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 29, 2010, 04:02:16 PM »
First, if Stoker and Lovecraft were "on to something", what about Mary Shelly?  Do Dr. Frankenstein's experiments exist in the DV and if so what happened to his Monster?

This is basically the question I wanted to ask, but I'll expand a little bit...Are there any other notable "fiction" authors who got killed for their works?  My short list includes Aesop, the Grimms, H.G. Wells and especially Tolkien and C.S. Lewis.  The "between worlds" place featured in "The Magician's Nephew" sounds awful Neverneverish.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 29, 2010, 04:26:27 PM »
Jim,

Bob mentioned early on in the series that Elaine was always better than Harry at magic, more naturally skilled. Later, Elaine complimented Harry on his shield and told him she wasn't sure she could have done as good a job. Since then, Harry's skill has presumably progressed further by teaching Molly.

Is Elaine still more skilled than Harry at this point, or has he caught up with her or surpassed her?

Offline stevem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 30, 2010, 02:09:31 AM »
Is Elaine still more skilled than Harry at this point, or has he caught up with her or surpassed her?
I've always considered Harry a bit of an obsesive-compulsive.  IMO, to the extent that Elaine has more talent, Harry has: 1) more raw muscle; and, is incredibly more focused on improving, considering his life experiences to date.
“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!” - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Kuvasza

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 30, 2010, 03:48:21 AM »
I've always considered Harry a bit of an obsesive-compulsive.  IMO, to the extent that Elaine has more talent, Harry has: 1) more raw muscle; and, is incredibly more focused on improving, considering his life experiences to date.
Harry is going to grow into a more impressive wizard, over time, for that reason.  The best engineers and mathematicians I know took home books on non-linear math and read them for *fun*.  Harry is into this stuff.  Elaine I think has issues and while I see her as talented, she seems more likely to plateau.

On the other hand, she might be so thoroughly traumatized by her experience at the hands of Justin and so driven to make certain she is never a victim again that she adheres to a fanatic regimen of study and self-improvement.  A bit like the medical student whose close friend died of cancer who studies fanatically to enter into med school and/or to work as a research scientist.  Highly motivated.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 30, 2010, 04:51:16 AM »
On the other hand, she might be so thoroughly traumatized by her experience at the hands of Justin and so driven to make certain she is never a victim again that she adheres to a fanatic regimen of study and self-improvement.  A bit like the medical student whose close friend died of cancer who studies fanatically to enter into med school and/or to work as a research scientist.  Highly motivated.

Elaine may also be motivated by a sense of competition with Harry. She definitely still seems to be influenced by him and his life choices, enough that she imitates him professionally. Like him, she's in the phone book, under "Wizards," and she's the same mix of wizard and P.I. She seems to take the same kinds of cases he would take, and help people like he would. Whether it's subconscious or not, I think maybe she's trying to emulate Harry a little. That kind of emulation could carry over into a sense of competition, and she did get a chance to see that Harry's skill was improving over time.

That said, though, Harry may have an advantage in increasing his skills that Elaine doesn't have: Harry has been teaching Molly for years now. He attributes much of his increased skill to having to teach her, and it's easy to see that in the later books. His improved skill with veils, for instance, came from the fact that Molly is so good with them, and Harry felt like he needed to be passably good with them himself just to be able to keep teaching her about them. Not to mention other things that he's said about the teaching process, about how teaching someone else the basics has made him go over them again himself, appreciating and understanding them on a deeper level than he did before.

And aside from teaching Molly, he's also been teaching Warden recruits over the years. Just being placed in a position of instructor has forced him to develop his skills to the level of an instructor. I'd guess that this has moved his skill level quite a bit beyond where someone of his age would normally be. I know he still thinks of himself as a magical thug, but the reality is probably more that he's far more skillful than wizards of his age would usually be.

And that was before he got the Winter Knight mantle. He seemed to be throwing around an awful lot of cold-based magic, pretty much as soon as he took the job. His thoughts seemed to run in that direction without him even having to work at it. Who knows what that could indicate about his skills with that sort of magic now? Whereas before he would instinctively use fire, now he seems to instinctively use cold magic, while still retaining his abilities with fire.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 30, 2010, 04:51:57 AM »
Jim, how was your birthday?
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 30, 2010, 10:59:54 PM »
Elaine may also be motivated by a sense of competition with Harry.

It may be she didn't know what else to do, so imitated Harry just to have a job. I agree Harry's teaching experiences forced him to get better, but I'd also include access to Bob as a real bonus for Harry. I think Harry is flat out stronger, with less control, but I think he's gained a lot of control and would be more powerful than Elaine, except for possible sneakiness/deception on her part.
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 31, 2010, 02:35:53 AM »
It may be she didn't know what else to do, so imitated Harry just to have a job. I agree Harry's teaching experiences forced him to get better, but I'd also include access to Bob as a real bonus for Harry. I think Harry is flat out stronger, with less control, but I think he's gained a lot of control and would be more powerful than Elaine, except for possible sneakiness/deception on her part.

Yeah, that's true. I think about what a huge advantage Bob is fairly often, but I hardly ever remember to mention it when considering Harry's skill improvements. Bob was obviously indispensable while Harry was creating Little Chicago, for instance, and I have to wonder how much input he had while Harry was creating his new shield bracelet, or while Harry was designing things like his new lab circle. And that's not even considering the gradual, daily accumulation of information which Harry gains from having Bob to talk to. And Harry likely would've been dead many times over, over the course the series, if he hadn't had Bob to go to for information about whichever new thing was threatening his existence that week.