Author Topic: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3  (Read 134433 times)

Offline faithlessprophet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3
« Reply #315 on: October 16, 2010, 05:40:05 AM »
I think I recall WOJ to the effect that ghosts are merely psychic imprints or echoes.  If so, they don't think, are on auto-pilot and shouldn't be able to practice anything.

but according to Jim and the product info on the next book says
(click to show/hide)
therefore my question, lol

Offline neofyte

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 16, 2010, 06:32:02 PM »
Jim, you mentioned that wizard "Listens-to-the-Wind was of the Illinois. That was a sizable confederacy
made up of a number of cognate tribes: Peoria, Kaskaskia, Michigamea, Cahokia, and Tamaroa, to name
the five most populous. Listens-to-the-Wind also spoke about the annihilation of his tribe because of his
refusal to intervene.

As one who has studied the Illiniwek in depth, I concluded that Listens-to-the-Wind spoke of one of three
battles: the devastation of Kaskaskia (Village) in 1680, the extermination of the Tamaroa sub-tribe shortly thereafter,
or the siege at Starved Rock.
Did LTW refer to one of these three historically recorded events or something lost through the ages?

This is the link to my Illini web site and the pertinent sub-unit: Scholarly citations are provided.

http://rfester.tripod.com/iroq.html

Holy erudition, Batman. I am impressed!!!  Thank you =)
My ego is like a kid brother.  He follows me around, gets in the way, and sometimes embarrasses the heck out of me.  But I've learned to love the little guy.  After all, he means well.  And he responds better to my love than my loathing.

Offline stevem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 17, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »
but according to Jim and the product info on the next book says
(click to show/hide)
therefore my question, lol
We'll have to wait and see but I suspect that Harry is not literally a ghost but his 'soul' is wandering about lose.  Pure conjecture on my part.
“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!” - Benjamin Franklin

Offline faithlessprophet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 17, 2010, 08:05:33 AM »
hmm, but if thats the case wouldnt he still have access to soulfire?

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 17, 2010, 12:32:10 PM »
hmm, but if thats the case wouldnt he still have access to soulfire?

Yeah, I've wondered about this myself. If angels can use soulfire, and angels are nothing but soul-- which, according to Bob, is the case-- then angels can use magic, since soulfire is a mixture of a soul's energy and magic. If Harry is a soul, and if his soul is structurally similar to an angel's soul, then it seems like he should also be capable of using magic, at least potentially. Maybe the problem in Ghost Story is less that he can't use it and more that using magic as a soul is different from using it as a living mortal, and he just doesn't know how to do it. Or maybe it's as simple as Harry not believing that he can use magic while he's a soul, which could effectively make him unable to do so.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 17, 2010, 04:39:09 PM »
Yeah, I've wondered about this myself. If angels can use soulfire, and angels are nothing but soul-- which, according to Bob, is the case-- then angels can use magic, since soulfire is a mixture of a soul's energy and magic. If Harry is a soul, and if his soul is structurally similar to an angel's soul, then it seems like he should also be capable of using magic, at least potentially. Maybe the problem in Ghost Story is less that he can't use it and more that using magic as a soul is different from using it as a living mortal, and he just doesn't know how to do it. Or maybe it's as simple as Harry not believing that he can use magic while he's a soul, which could effectively make him unable to do so.

Actually i think soulfire is completely different from magic. It feeds into to magic rather than the other way around. I bet the angels don't use magic, because remember when michael told harry that magic was evil/unholy
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 17, 2010, 05:44:43 PM »
Actually i think soulfire is completely different from magic. It feeds into to magic rather than the other way around. I bet the angels don't use magic, because remember when michael told harry that magic was evil/unholy

Bob describes soulfire this way:

Quote from: Small Favor, Ch. 45
“So what you’re saying is that this hand construct was made out of my soul,” I said.

“Your soul and your magic fused together, yeah,” Bob said. “Your soul converted into energy. Soulfire. In this case, the spirit energy drawn from your aura right around your right hand, because it fit the construct so well, it being a big version of your right hand and all. Your standard force-projection spell formed around the matrix of soulfire, and what had been an instantaneous exertion of force became a long-term entity capable of manipulation and exertion to the same degree. Not really more powerful than just the force spell, as much as it was more than simply the force spell.”

There are two different interpretations of this, as far as I can see. The first is that soulfire is made directly from the energy of the soul, and then the magic forms around it. And second, that soulfire is itself the combination of magic and soul energy, so that any spell performed with soulfire can essentially be called a soulfire spell, rather than a magic spell laced with soulfire.

The first description fits with the last part of Bob's description, but not as much with the beginning. The second description fits the beginning what Bob says, but seems harder to understand when combined with the last half of his description.

In my opinion, the way Bob begins his description seems simplest and most likely to be what he meant-- soulfire is "your soul and your magic fused together." When he says later that the force-projection spell formed around a matrix of soulfire, it sounds to me like he's saying that the spell itself took shape around the matrix of soulfire, not that the magic alone took shape around the soulfire. Which seems like it would mean that when you use soulfire, you kind of use the soulfire in place of magic, since the soulfire already has magic fused into it. Whereas normally you would use magic to cast a spell, with soulfire, you fuse soul energy and magic together to create soulfire, then use the soulfire to cast the spell.

At least, that's what it sounds like to me. I could be wrong.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 17, 2010, 05:51:05 PM »
That does make sense.

Btw how do you say Quote from: yoda or whatever when not pushing the quote button
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #323 on: October 17, 2010, 05:54:23 PM »
[ quote author=BLABLABLABLA ]

like so:

Quote from: BLABLABLA
Bla.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 17, 2010, 05:56:24 PM »
Quote from:  Harry
Did i do it right

Quote from:  Me
Yep and thanks Myyrdn Eopia
Sir  Reginald.

Offline faithlessprophet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 17, 2010, 08:01:48 PM »
At least, that's what it sounds like to me. I could be wrong.

see thats what i was thinking, which is why i was wondering about the ectomancy as well, the fusing of the two even for
(click to show/hide)
would be potent

Offline rezilm

• Participant
  • Its Kinda Zen
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 18, 2010, 03:39:35 PM »
For some reason this has bothered me recently.

Why, over the past decade, has Harry never 'gazed Murphy?

Offline faithlessprophet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 18, 2010, 09:36:14 PM »
For some reason this has bothered me recently.

Why, over the past decade, has Harry never 'gazed Murphy?

he did when they first met, its been said a few times, but she insisted on it

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 18, 2010, 11:28:03 PM »
Has Jim said if Rich (Murphy's Ex/Brother-in-Law)
(click to show/hide)

I'd like to know if anything happened with Rich.  I mean, yes Jim has only used him in 2 books, but I'd figure he & the other members of the Murphy clan might come back into play eventually

Kevin
Of course, my evil half
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:32:55 PM by KevinSig »

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 18, 2010, 11:45:59 PM »
he did when they first met, its been said a few times, but she insisted on it

Uh, no you must be thinking of Michael, Harry has never soul gazed Murphy.

As for the reason why he has not, I would expect it is for the same reason you don't strap someone down on the therapist couch and force them to tell you all their inner most feelings and thoughts. Its just plane rude to force someone into having a soul gaze if they choose not to have one (like Murphy seems to) and its not something you really want to go around doing with everyone anyways.
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.