Author Topic: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3  (Read 137208 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2010, 02:56:03 AM »
Though the "Jim is Lazy" postulate suggests that there is a reasonable chance they will make it in.

Maybe. Otoh, it does seem, from things he says at signings, that the DV is a lot bigger in his head than anything we'll get to see in the books, and sometimes an incidental detail may be just a cigar.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline alaskeith

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2010, 04:03:27 AM »
First of all I Loved changes! yes I can capitalize Loved if I want I am not an author.  Can't wait for book 13 although I was spooked at the end of changes a bit.  Is Harry dead?? apparently he survives, but it kinda makes a case for him to get outa being the White Knight if you think about it for a minute. Just asking.  Love the series, one of my all time faves.  Thanks

Offline Sigma77

• Participant
  • When in doubt? Call in God's Fist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2010, 04:24:01 AM »
If the nails of the cross became this crazy...well, what about the Spear of Destiny?

Offline jjmcdonald

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2010, 03:28:13 PM »
Actually, I think that Changes did what I wanted. It effectively (and very nicely) Ended the Dersden Files.
Fidelacchius will claim Murphy, now that she is "retired". The Series arch of Susan was ended as it was started, with the Red Court. And Harry ended the war that he started. In the beginning, he wrestles with the question "Is one life worth a War?". His answer started the war with the Reds. Which went badly, cost many lives, almost destroyed the White Council, and caused lots of heartache. In the end, he answers the question "Is one life worth peace?". And he delivers on that too. But he does not do that with his own life. He uses that of a woman he had loved.
Harry is over Susan before Changes. (Laura noted that when he was no longer poison to her). So this decision was not as angst ridden as we would hope. Nor was the decision to place his daughter in foster care with someone who he would never know. Clearly he realizes that he is no person to act to raise the daughter he helped to create. He can only hope that she either has NO magical ability, or that no one ever discovers her parentage. If it does express itself, Hopefully the Paranet will catch her before she becomes an unfortunate victim of neglect. She will obviously never know her history (for her own good). How do you say to a lovely young woman in years to come "Your mother who you never knew was killed to end a war"?

Many others have suffered because of Harry (Murphy, Michael Carpenter), and some have grown (Lash) and along the way he has helped save others. (Molly and Thomas). Some for a short time. Some for a longer time.
Interesting that Mouse chose Harry, not the other way around. The nature of the Foo Dog is something that Harry really never understands. Last seen with orders to "Protect Molly", it will be interesting how he helps to guide and support the new young Wizard.

As to Bob. Here is a real twist. The person most likely to inherit him is Molly. Which will be her undoing. Too young to really believe that she is not going to suffer consequences, she will find it irresistable to explore all that Bob can give to her. And Bob can give to her a Lot. She probably won't exhibit the maturity to realize how dangerous Bob really is. And if Luccio or McCoy discover it, either of them will eagerly dispose of the danger she would represent. Those people are NOT her friends.

Molly's wisest choice would be to engage with the Gatekeeper, and ask to become his apprentice. He (like her) heals both bodies and minds. Elements of her strongest power she should learn to use and grow with good sense. Perhaps, like Harry's History, we could see books written about her as the next arc of the Dresden Files.

So we have the end of a gifted drifter who is lucky, smart, and will leave behind a interitance of 2 Swords and a talking (to some people) skull. He was more lucky then skilled by all accounts. He played above his weight, Fought the good fight, Won more then he lost. and had some peculiar associations along the way.

SO the game is who will inherit the relationships, knowledge and few items of value which he leaves behind? And what will become of them?  And of the people who were key to so many pieces of this little Dresden Universe. That is the challenge for Jim now.

I think that is the subject for all future books.

Good Bye Harry. God's Rest to you.

Offline Led Guardian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2010, 07:34:31 PM »
Jjmcdonald, you do realize that Harry's story is not over yet, right?

Offline sleepdeprived38

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2010, 09:26:38 PM »
Actually, I think that Changes did what I wanted. It effectively (and very nicely) Ended the Dersden Files.

No.  Just no.

I will not accept the end of the Dresden Files with anything less than a signed, notarized letter from Jim Butcher, in his handwriting that says, "Yes, guys, it's over."  Until we get that there will be more Dresden.

"The plan is insane," Ehren said. "You are insane."  He looked around the inside of the tent.  "I'll need some pants."

Offline draganmathair

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2010, 09:26:49 PM »
Priscelle has posted that the Estimated Publishing Date for Book 13 (As yet not-officially named) was April 5th 2011

I am torn between being glad Jim is taking time to do a good job (so many authors don't, and they suck)...and REALLY NOT WANTING to wait another year.  Hmph.  Well, it gives me time to reread.

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2010, 09:29:03 PM »
I am torn between being glad Jim is taking time to do a good job (so many authors don't, and they suck)...and REALLY NOT WANTING to wait another year.  Hmph.  Well, it gives me time to reread.

He's not taking time.
Book 13 is already a couple of chapters in.  He'll probably have it finished by july at the latest.

His Publisher won't put out a Dresden book more than once a year.

Offline draganmathair

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2010, 09:30:39 PM »
He's not taking time.
Book 13 is already a couple of chapters in.  He'll probably have it finished by july at the latest.

His Publisher won't put out a Dresden book more than once a year.

Interesting to know, thanks.  Which still sucks for us.  Darn publishers.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »

Then he must be super super strong and filled with energy from our anguish...misery...suffering....woe

HEY  MAYBE IF WE ALL RALLY AND BE JOYFUL OVER SOMETHING ELSE  HE'LL WEAKEN AND BE FORCED TO
RELEASE THE BOOK A MONTH OR TWO EARLIER..

BE JOYOUS OUT THERE ALL OF YOU

While I wouldn't mind Jim publishing the book earlier, I have to admit, I love having it published in April, as it has for the past few years. It feels like Jim is unofficially acknowledging it as my present, since my birthday's on April 9th :)
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2010, 09:47:02 PM »

1: Who do you think you're kidding? I mean
(click to show/hide)

2: What happened to the migranes? You made a big deal of them having gone on for ~six months at the beginning of Turn Coat, but there's not a word on the subject in Changes. Did it just fall off the edge of your plate, or was the omission deliberate for some reason?

THANK YOU FOR ASKING THIS!!! I swear, if someone didn't, I was going to. ::walks off muttering::
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2010, 10:16:57 PM »
Here's a question: Aside from that brief glimpse (not even a glimpse really) of her in SK, is Titania ever going to make herself known the way Mab constantly does? It just occurred to me when I reread Small Favor that we've met all of the Sidhe Queens except, officially, for her.

Another question. Meryl Trollgirl is gone, and Fix and Lily are Summer's Knight and Lady -- what ever happened to the fourth person in their group, Ace?

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2010, 01:23:32 AM »
While I wouldn't mind Jim publishing the book earlier, I have to admit, I love having it published in April, as it has for the past few years. It feels like Jim is unofficially acknowledging it as my present, since my birthday's on April 9th :)

Me too mines the 17th
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2010, 01:42:17 AM »
Me too mines the 17th

Happy belated birthday, then! :D

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Blampira

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2010, 02:02:28 AM »
I thought that Murphy lost her P-90 in Lake Michigan at the end of Small Favor (thanks to razor-blade Dierdre}, but here we are two books later and Murph has her P-90 at her side as she goes along with Harry & Co to save Maggie from the Reds.

So my question is:  did she get another P-90 / or is this a book flub / or did Harry use his magical skills and 'find' Murph's gun for her at some point 'off-page' and if so will we get the backstory on it?