Author Topic: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3  (Read 134448 times)

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3
« on: March 26, 2010, 04:54:17 PM »
Jim has not responded to this topic,  However, I spoke with him at Marscon and told him how I had gone through the whole post and sellected several that I liked after going through everything else I can find that he has said about the series, and asked if he was willing to go over them in an e-interview format and he said he liked that idea, but to wait until after the GS signings were over.  The topic was moved here to give me a chance to go over the questions that have been asked since Marscon. -Serack

Part One:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,631.0.html

Part Two:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,10529.0.html

Since Jim is not monitoring the boards due to writing crunch times, I thought I'd create a thread specifically aimed at him to check when he can, in order for some questions to avoid being buried in time.

However, we have to be careful and not flood this thread with random questions. So, rules of this thread:

1) No questions obviously aimed at plot points that will be revealed later, such as "Who is the girl Marcone's protecting?" or "What really happened at Arctis Tor before Harry arrived?" or "Who is Cowl under the hood?" This can be a fine line, depending on the question. For instance, "Does Murphy know how to use those katanas, or are they just decorative?" does not violate this rule and will be allowed. Jim may not answer it, of course. Jim may not answer any of these questions.

2) Nothing personal, in this thread. This is for Dresden Files questions, only. If he deviates, well, he's allowed.

3) Don't discuss or derail the thread. If you want to discuss something he's said, make your own thread and quote him.  He can come in that thread and discuss it with you...the point of this thread isn't a one-stop shop for all things Jim, but simply a place where he can see  questions and answer them. If we get into discussions, this thread will wander all over the place (something I normally don't mind, but this thread is an exception).

4) Please do your homework before asking a question...see if you can find the answers elsewhere, first. Unlike some, I do not mind when someone new to the boards asks a question that's been discussed to death, but if an answer is readily answerable elsewhere, then it's a waste of breath in this particular thread. Please also note that there's a FAQ forum near the top of this board. At the time of this writing, it's a tad threadbare, but it is growing.

Two things to remember from the above quote:

1) This is a thread started by the mods to give Jim a place to see questions. He may not answer anything here. The man's busy! This thread is an attempt for him to easily find things. Please do not be offended if he doesn't answer a question you posed.

2) Remember not to discuss things here (answering someone's question because you KNOW the answer...not just your opinion of the answer...is allowed. But discussion in this thread only kills the purpose of this thread, which is to allow board members a place to ask Jim a question about this series without him having to wade through tons of discussion. This does not mean things can't be discussed! We welcome discussion....on other threads. (Exception...if Jim tries to have a discussion with you on here, go ahead. His decisions trump everything else, with the possible exception of Iago's administrative tasks.)

This whole thing started as my own attempt to make it easier on Jim. This was not his design.

Jim has not responded to this topic, see note at the top as to why it is in this section.  -Serack
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:54:41 AM by Serack »
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Sigma77

• Participant
  • When in doubt? Call in God's Fist.
    • View Profile
Re: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 02:10:27 AM »
Was Harry's Grandmother (
(click to show/hide)
) a Wizard? Or rather, did she have any magical talent at all?

Offline paulWTAMU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 02:24:37 AM »
Minor clarification request: changes spoiler follows
(click to show/hide)
Also, although I think he is,
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

What the hell *is* Mouse? And mister...he's getting up in age for a regular cat.  IIRC Dresden'd had him for a while as of Storm Front which would be like 10 or 11 years ago...cats live like 15-20 years.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 02:33:49 AM by paulWTAMU »
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have six and a half billion people if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Ororo

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 05:42:16 PM »
Love the books, even though Changes was a little traumatic. What can you tell us about what happens next without giving too much away?

Offline jimdastud

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »
Can you give us a rough schedule for the next book?  I'm assuming next April, but that may not be the case since your other series is finished up.

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 06:21:39 PM »
Can you give us a rough schedule for the next book?  I'm assuming next April, but that may not be the case since your other series is finished up.

Priscelle has posted that the Estimated Publishing Date for Book 13 (As yet not-officially named) was April 5th 2011

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 06:31:37 PM »
Priscelle has posted that the Estimated Publishing Date for Book 13 (As yet not-officially named) was April 5th 2011

Jim has proposed a name and Anne Sowards (his editor) tells me the name is publisher-approved. Awaiting official announcement. If it does turn out that his original title is what gets used, it is TEH AWSUM.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Ink Slinger

• Posty McPostington
  • Angst Muffin~plot bunny breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 07:06:25 PM »
Jim...why do you have to be so horribly wonderful?

All at the same time I love, hate, fear and respect you.  I think you made my brain explode.

But my question is this, will we find out where Maggie ends up?  And I ask, because I cried for twenty minutes dude. 

Offline Led Guardian

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 09:36:18 PM »
Jim has proposed a name and Anne Sowards (his editor) tells me the name is publisher-approved. Awaiting official announcement. If it does turn out that his original title is what gets used, it is TEH AWSUM.
I bet you know secrets about the next book that you are not telling us, you horrible person. You know of what I speak. :P

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 11:38:19 PM »
Since it's unlikely to be a plot point in the future due to events in Changes, I suppose it's an appropriate question for this thread: what is the true origin of the Red Court? Are they actually originally native to the Nevernever (and were a Nevernever "species" before they encountered humans) or did they begin as "altered" humans? If the former, were they different than the Rampires we know before they first encountered humans (and since then have copied human traits)?

And when did they originate/first encounter humanity? PG suggests the Red King is 4000 years old, but Changes says that Arianna is older than human written language (which would make her at least 5000+; Sumerian cuneiform writing originated sometime before 3000 BC) and that she was turned by the Red King - so is younger than him.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 11:41:40 PM »
What the hell *is* Mouse? And mister...he's getting up in age for a regular cat.  IIRC Dresden'd had him for a while as of Storm Front which would be like 10 or 11 years ago...cats live like 15-20 years.

Mister was a kitten when Harry found him, 3 years before Storm Front. According to the timeline, Changes is 11-plus-a-little years after SF. So Mister is either 14 or 15 depending on when his birthday is.

Offline paulWTAMU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 11:55:51 PM »
swear to god, if he kills the pets I'm going to cry like a baby. Even if it's old age :(
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have six and a half billion people if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
swear to god, if he kills the pets I'm going to cry like a baby. Even if it's old age :(

especially if its old age! that can be the sadist way of all!
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline Neogenesis

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 12:25:56 AM »
Jim your sadistic. I salute you. I will be waiting for the preview chapter of the next book. The characters played out better than a psychologist could compose them. How do you sculpt them like that? Next up spoiler question:
(click to show/hide)

Offline nthnclls

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 01:39:17 AM »
Do you need to have the anguished screams of your readers for nourishment, like plants need sunlight, or do you just enjoy them?
Corpsetaker was a psychotic, body-stealing, mind-penetrating, ghoul-enlisting, power-craving asshole, but he had a certain charm about him.
You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather.