Author Topic: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3  (Read 135284 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3
« Reply #450 on: March 29, 2011, 01:13:07 AM »
coughcoughiceagecoughcough

Which ice age ? if we're talking the most recent, that's pretty small potatoes compared to the ones we getter further back in the geological record.  (Basically, the Sun is getting hotter over time, by about 15% since the Cambrian; it's effectively impossible now to have a hard Snowball Earth, as it appears we might have had a few times before the Cambrian.)
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #451 on: March 29, 2011, 02:15:55 AM »
Ooh, there's a question.

Is Mab older than the Dinosaurs?
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 29, 2011, 05:10:14 PM »
If I were you I wouldn't be asking it anywhere where SHE might hear.
She might be that old but I doubt she'd appreciate being lumped in with a bunch of
overgrown lizards and scaled birds. ::)

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 29, 2011, 05:25:15 PM »
The last 'true' ice age (ended 20 thousand years ago) was long enough ago that I don't think we had 'recorded' history.  Perhaps some oral remnants remain, but I'm fairly certain humanity was pre-writing at that point, pictographs notwithstanding. Now, the so-called "Little Ice Age" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age) may indicate a sudden spike in Winter's power.  The temperature change was most pronounced in Europe, which is consistent with the (probable) location of most of the Sidhe dealings with mortals at that time.

Offline SpoonR

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 30, 2011, 07:05:02 PM »
In Grave Peril, Harry crosses into the Nevernever from his apartment living room. It goes to "his apartment, only a bit cleaner and brighter". In Changes, he crosses from his lab (only one room away), and ends up in a garden with a primrose path (I see what you did there ;) ). So, do different parts of Harry's home lead to different parts of the NN, or did the NN 'next to' his apartment change between the two books?

(In the search results, this was only discussed kind of tangentially)

SpoonR

Offline Contrarius

• Conversationalist
  • Dingdong, Soul Eater Home Delivery, may I come in?
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 30, 2011, 07:15:45 PM »
I started a thread on this not too long ago. Lessee if I can find it....

Ahh, here it is. I dunno that we came up with any firm conclusions, but there's lots of discussion here:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,24871.msg1053519.html
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 07:23:26 PM by Contrarian »
I turned back to my table, leaned forward, and banged my head gently on the wooden surface. Several times.
------
When I want an opinion from you, I'll read it in your entrails.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 31, 2011, 02:01:43 AM »
In Grave Peril, Harry crosses into the Nevernever from his apartment living room. It goes to "his apartment, only a bit cleaner and brighter". In Changes, he crosses from his lab (only one room away), and ends up in a garden with a primrose path (I see what you did there ;) ). So, do different parts of Harry's home lead to different parts of the NN, or did the NN 'next to' his apartment change between the two books?

(In the search results, this was only discussed kind of tangentially)

SpoonR

I think the CrossOver from his lab is the one that Lea has had guarded to keep UglyNasties from coming in from.  And I don't think he knew of it until he got his mother's gem from Lea.

Offline Contrarius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 31, 2011, 03:10:58 AM »
I think the CrossOver from his lab is the one that Lea has had guarded to keep UglyNasties from coming in from.  And I don't think he knew of it until he got his mother's gem from Lea.

Yeah, but Leah says she's protected allllll of his apartment, not just the lab. Go back and read that recent thread -- lots of thoughts there.
I turned back to my table, leaned forward, and banged my head gently on the wooden surface. Several times.
------

Offline Drulinda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 05, 2011, 12:55:38 AM »
heres a question ive had since Changes. if Biancas "Grandmother" was so good with magic why did she have to seek out Mavra?

Offline sjsharks

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 05, 2011, 01:50:53 AM »
Yeah, but Leah says she's protected allllll of his apartment, not just the lab. Go back and read that recent thread -- lots of thoughts there.

But she doesn't say its all protected the same way, or that it has always been a garden ;)
And Chocolate is associated with love and love killed the Dinosaurs, you are a genius Sjsharks

TWCB-Dinosaurs

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 09, 2011, 03:47:33 AM »

Some time does pass between GP and Changes.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Contrarius

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 09, 2011, 03:48:28 AM »
Some time does pass between GP and Changes.

She indicates that she has done that for his entire life....but yes to what sjsharks said. She doesn't say that it has always been a garden.
------

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 12, 2011, 03:59:45 AM »
How did Micheal become a Knight of the Cross and how/when did he and Harry first meet? Also, I reread Small Favor recently and it left me wondering...Who is/was Mab in debt to?
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 12, 2011, 04:00:47 AM »
Are you happy with Ghost Story?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline sjsharks

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 12, 2011, 04:50:41 AM »
How did Micheal become a Knight of the Cross and how/when did he and Harry first meet? Also, I reread Small Favor recently and it left me wondering...Who is/was Mab in debt to?

When?
And Chocolate is associated with love and love killed the Dinosaurs, you are a genius Sjsharks

TWCB-Dinosaurs