Author Topic: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3  (Read 137507 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 04:14:02 PM »
*Takes out my Blow horn.* WHEN IS THE DRAGON'S GOING TO STAGE ANOTHER COMEBACK? *Shuts off the blow horn and sits.* No but seriously. We get a glimpse of Ferrovax a Dragon in the Roman Legion armor in Grave Peril. I'm really curious your take on the Dragon's in Dresden's world.

I think Jim has said "in the Big Apocalyptic Trilogy" in response to that question before.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

mawalee

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 09:54:16 PM »
How come
(click to show/hide)
knew that Telling Arianna about Maggie will lead to
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:59:34 PM by mawalee »

Offline Analise

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 10:08:22 PM »
How come
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Uh, I'm not Jim (obviously) and I'm just speculating here but:

He didn't.

He put out where Maggie was, assuming Arianna would take her. Then he knew that Susan and Harry would move Heaven and Earth to rescue her. He may have even known about the bloodline curse but either way... At the very least, he would have had someone (Harry) who'd do anything and everything in his power to take down whoever had his daughter which at least meant Martin could hope the Red King would die or some large chunk of the nobility. Then the bloodline curse comes up, and he sees how he can subvert it for his own purpose and ends up revealing himself at just the right moment, trusting that Harry is intelligent enough to see what to do (that comment from Susan about Harry seeing 'everything' eventually comes into play here, I think) and....ta da, Red Court Vampire insta-death.

Offline Deviation

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2010, 08:56:38 AM »
One of the problems I have with reading series of books is that the characters tend to become static after a while.  They stop growing, developing, changing, and that's when it gets boring.  How do you keep your characters continually developing for such a long series while simultaneously making sure that they still remain who they are?  I'm placing primary emphasis of this question in regards to their personalities I suppose (although physical changes effect that as well obviously).

Thanks.  I can't wait for the next book!

Offline magical_liopleurodon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2010, 10:06:01 PM »
Does Oberon, emperor of the fairies, fit into your mythos at all?

Offline Deviation

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2010, 01:40:43 AM »
Will Toot become a full-sized sidhe by the end of the series?

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2010, 01:24:09 PM »
How come
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

oooh. i just reread over those pages , because i sped through it the first time. It's explained on page 416 of changes

(click to show/hide)
and so on.

OK. so for my question. probably won't get answered but I'll just put it out there.

In WN Harry is talking to Luccio at camp kaboom, and she mentions how she hasn't had to deal with her monthly cycle in like 140 years i think. her being what ~200 years old would imply that she hit menopause around the normal mortal age , which also means at about the mortal age she was no longer able to have children.

but at the siging in CA on April 9/10th http://www.youtube.com/user/Dresdenfiler#p/u/1/96KFFdwq6Gg at about 6:40

(click to show/hide)

so this is a new bit of info , because female wizard fertility has been brought up a few times.

so what does this mean ?
-All female wizards can have children alot older than vanillas?
-
(click to show/hide)
-or Maybe something happened to Luccio when she was younger?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:34:27 PM by icecream »

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2010, 12:36:54 AM »
Yeah...I have a question..

What did I ever do to you except like your books and give you my money?

You're gonna leave me hanging on THIS cliff for a year?

Now pardon me while I walk away and rampantly speculate in a dark room as I'm the only one of my friends who's read this book yet so I can't say a darned thing.

Stupid authors. Jerks.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2010, 01:42:07 AM »
Yeah...I have a question..

What did I ever do to you except like your books and give you my money?

You're gonna leave me hanging on THIS cliff for a year?

Now pardon me while I walk away and rampantly speculate in a dark room as I'm the only one of my friends who's read this book yet so I can't say a darned thing.

Stupid authors. Jerks.

Listen closely: Jim is THE Skavis. His lifeforce is sustained by our wails of anguish and despair. ;D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2010, 02:32:02 AM »
Pft. Figures.

Offline graogrim

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2010, 03:38:51 AM »
Throughout the series, most of the various Laws of Magic have been violated. And Harry himself has closely skirted some of them. Either way, it's always made personal for him. There's been plenty of killing with magic to go around throughout the series, starting with Storm Front. We've seen a story about the transformation of others, in Fool Moon. And, of course, Harry now knows what it's like to be transformed into a dog--oh, excuse me, Lea: a hound.  Molly has a pretty intimate familiarity with transgressing into the mind of another in Proven Guilty and even more recently besides. Let's not forget Small Favor or Turn Coat, either. We don't see much in the way of enthralling during the course of the books except by historical reference in Summer Knight, but for Harry, that's History with a capital H. We've got plenty of examples of reaching beyond the borders of life in Dead Beat. They beat down his door, shot arrows at him, and left really big footprints while giving him a ride. Possibly we're going to see even more of that reaching Real Soon Now. There have been mostly only little tidbits here and there regarding the seeking of that which lies beyond the Outer Gates, but it seems like it's only a matter of time before Harry will once more have to contend with He Who Walks Behind, and perhaps worse.

That leaves one final law that strikes me as particularly interesting--and particularly challenging to make a good story for that doesn't come across clichéd--which brings me to my question:

Will we ever actually see a story where Harry must do battle with those swimming against the currents of time?

(Or perhaps we already have, and just don't know it yet)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:56:48 AM by graogrim »

Offline Razzabeth

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2010, 01:08:00 AM »
Can we please have more humor/comic relief?? Or can you let us know if more humor will be present in the coming books? A simple, non-spoilery yes/no would suffice.

The first couple books were pretty lighthearted and there was lots of jokes to balance out the bad stuff. I notice the level of humor has fallen noticeably to be replaced by action/drama. I realize that serious stuff has to happen in order for characters to evolve and become more realistic, but I really miss the more humorous style that was present in the beginning.  :'(

Just so you know, I went through the arduous process of setting up an account here just so I could post this one thing!

Offline Jamamma

• Participant
  • Sheridan is scary at night...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2010, 06:13:55 PM »
This might be coming out of left field here, but...

By chance, Jim, did you ever read R. Karl Largent's Ancients?

And were the monsters in any way inspiration for your Uber Ghouls?
"Soon the world shall be mine and I will rule with a goat by my side."

Offline devnull

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »
In Laurel K Hamilton's series there is a part of the back story in which the supernatural is brought irrevocably to the human race's attention (Faeries applying for asylum/vampires applying for human rights). Is this type of scenario something you have thought of incorporating into your series?

Also - Are there any governments aware of the supernatural in the dresden-verse?   

Offline magic penguin

• Posty McPostington
  • what goes around come around
    • View Profile
    • www.google.com/
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2010, 07:53:16 PM »
Was what appears on page 286 of the hardback my 10,000 post nod?  Wink

I missed that on my first read.
was going really fast to see what would happen next.
2nd read I pickup more details this time
3rd read is better

congrats to you. ;D ;D ;D :D :D ::) :-*
"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good" Harry Dresden- White Night.