Author Topic: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3  (Read 137411 times)

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2010, 02:09:25 AM »
here are some quotes from the book talking about how addictive it was.

the police talking about after Harry takes down a three eye junky.
The taller one nodded. “Stuff hooks harder than crack. Thanks for the help. Didn’t know you were a civilian, though.

And Monica Sells talking about the first time she used it.
She continued, speaking in a low, hurried rush. “I wanted more. Even when it was over, even though it was horrible, I wanted more. I tried not to let it show, but he could tell. He looked into my eyes and he knew, Mr. Dresden. Like you did just now. And he started to laugh. Like he’d just won the lottery. He kissed me, he was so happy. And it made me sick.
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline neofyte

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2010, 12:18:17 AM »
I'm a social worker.

Psychologically addicting things are just as dangerous as physically addicting ones. Addictions to things like gambling, internet posting, and sex (to name a few common ones, and no I'm not joking about the internet thing) are just as psychologically damaging when suddenly removed as things that are physically addicting.

But that's just my SCIENCE talking.

So what is the science behind endogenous addictions?  (I'm a social worker too, and biochemistry is kicking my social work brain's ass!
My ego is like a kid brother.  He follows me around, gets in the way, and sometimes embarrasses the heck out of me.  But I've learned to love the little guy.  After all, he means well.  And he responds better to my love than my loathing.

Offline Curly

• Posty McPostington
  • Roar!!! *Coughcough*
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2010, 05:38:02 PM »
What are your thoughts, concerning your work, on Barthes' "Death of the Author" and the idea of Intentional Fallacy?
;) unless explicitly stated otherwise

Quote from: Neurovore
Why are you assuming it has to be heartbreaking ?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2010, 08:28:59 PM »
That is my question: Why agent Tilly didn't react to Harry taking his hand. Harry felt the tingle of a little power. Tilly didn't notice his power?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Changes

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2010, 01:41:44 AM »
That Book blew my mind. IS Harry really dead and is there a 13th book coming out.
i can't wait

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2010, 02:04:12 AM »
That Book blew my mind. IS Harry really dead and is there a 13th book coming out.
i can't wait

Read my answer to your previous post:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,16724.msg812725.html#msg812725
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline chainblue

• Conversationalist
  • I get banned a lot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2010, 09:33:41 PM »
Why isn't Odin missing an eye?
THE FOOLS! I WILL SHOW THEM ALL!!! (ask me how)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2010, 10:34:30 PM »
Why isn't Odin missing an eye?

He is:

He wasn’t all that im­pos­ing to look at. A man in good shape, maybe in his ear­ly fifties. Lean and spare, in the way of long-​dis­tance run­ners, but too heavy in the shoul­ders and arms for that to be all he did. His hair was long for a man, and just a bit shag­gy. It was the col­or of a fu­ri­ous thun­der­cloud, and his eye was ice blue. A black cloth patch over the oth­er eye com­bined with a ver­ti­cal scar sim­ilar to my own made me think that I’d been right about the cor­po­rate lo­go.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Niccos Shadow

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2010, 05:50:43 AM »
*cough*

Uhm, is it possible for one of the High Sidhe to become possessed in some way? Kind of like how the Fallen can possess a mortal I mean? Or that could otherwise get to them through the people they are bound to?
"I still can't believe that you came to the Vampires' Masquerade Ball dressed as a vampire."
"Not just a vampire, a cheesy vampire. Do you think they got the point?"

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
  • Kittens taste great and stay crunchy in milk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2010, 04:40:13 PM »
*cough*

Uhm, is it possible for one of the High Sidhe to become possessed in some way? Kind of like how the Fallen can possess a mortal I mean? Or that could otherwise get to them through the people they are bound to?

Some are suspecting that's what happened to Leansidhe when she was gifted with the evil dagger.

----------

Is there a Dresdenverse Trivia game in the works and if not what would it take to get them made?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Niven
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore
"Sufficiently advanced technology my ass" - Dresden

Offline mrshwiggy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2010, 08:21:38 AM »
So what is the science behind endogenous addictions?  (I'm a social worker too, and biochemistry is kicking my social work brain's ass!

Wow, how many Social Worker's read The Dresden Files!? I'm a Social Worker too, and for my two cents on this topic, I'm going to apply the logic that I always tend to apply when fantasy stuffs don't match up with scientific facts. We don't have accurate research on how Magic works. I'm not trying to be cocky or anything, but seriously, the fact that it's a magic potion could mean something along the lines that, while violently addictive, ThreeEye could have very abrupt withdrawals. It's made of magic 'stuff' so who's to say how it interacts with silly things like neurological pathways? Maybe after a while, the desire just 'goes away.' Or maybe its a plot point that's coming back around. "Something, something black council, something, magical connection of subconscious addiction, something something, mind slave army, something, own'd."

Offline neofyte

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2010, 05:20:15 PM »
Wow, how many Social Worker's read The Dresden Files!? I'm a Social Worker too...

How many social workers does it take to change a light bulb? ...
(click to show/hide)
My ego is like a kid brother.  He follows me around, gets in the way, and sometimes embarrasses the heck out of me.  But I've learned to love the little guy.  After all, he means well.  And he responds better to my love than my loathing.

Offline Darkarma

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 15, 2010, 04:06:16 PM »
In AAAA Wizardry from the Our World. What anime wall scroll was hanging from the room with the three girls with big eyes in it?
Or is it one of the more recent Italian renditions of anime similar to W.I.T.C.H.?
Curious anime fan has checked in!

Edit: Oh and did Billy hit the nail right on the head? Are there Spring and Autumn Faerie courts?

*Whistles*
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:59:45 PM by Darkarma »

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2010, 07:55:35 PM »
Ok, maybe this has been answered already, but has there been any word on what Jim's new post-Alera project will be???
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline neofyte

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2010, 08:29:36 PM »
Ok, maybe this has been answered already, but has there been any word on what Jim's new post-Alera project will be???

Good reading, this, and the source is fairly reliable  :D

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,5955.msg160950.html#msg160950