Author Topic: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3  (Read 137387 times)

Offline Niccos Shadow

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2010, 02:57:33 PM »
In Grave Peril while going to rescue Susan and Justine from Bianca, Harry crosses through to the Nevernever and states/writes/narrates it as looking just like his apartment on the 'other side'.

In Changes, Bob mentions he should have found out what was on the 'other side' from there years ago and
(click to show/hide)

So, when did the change take place in the Nevernever? Or, if it had always been as described in Changes, what is the difference in circumstance that I'm missing?

"I still can't believe that you came to the Vampires' Masquerade Ball dressed as a vampire."
"Not just a vampire, a cheesy vampire. Do you think they got the point?"

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2010, 04:20:55 PM »
Quite possibly, the difference is
(click to show/hide)
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline TFury

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2010, 09:52:38 PM »
I've wondered that too, and my theory was that, possibly, Bob specifically led Harry into non-Fae areas when they're going through the NeverNever, and that Harry didn't know what was in the Fae across from his house, because he was afraid of Lea.

Or, that GhostChicago place may not have been the NeverNever proper, but rather another demesne-type area. 

Offline Kebran

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »
For Ghost Story it is mentioned it will start 1 year or so after Changes. Will any back story will be provided to fill in some of the gaps from the conclusion of Changes from Harry's POV?  I know Aftermath starts about 45 minutes after the conclusion of Changes but it to be from Murphy's POV, which will be completely different.
DV Kebran v1.0 YR1.5 FR1 BK++ JB TH+ WG+ CL BC- SH [Murphy - SH Molly +++]

Offline ramrod47

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2010, 08:20:09 PM »
Jim has said on numerous occaisions that he didn't plan out Harry's love life. I'm however wondering if he did plan out Susan's part, afterall her relationship to Harry is very important to the plot of Changes. Would this mean that he lied about the relationship thing? Is this just for Susan? If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
"Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest."   Larry Lorenzoni

Offline ramrod47

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2010, 04:47:42 AM »
I have another question,

I know Aftermath starts about 45 minutes after the conclusion of Changes but it to be from Murphy's POV, which will be completely different.

Does it actually start 45 min after the conclusion of Changes or 45 min after Murphy leaves? Has either been confirmed?
"Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest."   Larry Lorenzoni

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2010, 10:34:40 AM »
Jim said 45 minutes after Changes. Sounds clear to me.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2010, 12:37:27 PM »
I have another question,

Does it actually start 45 min after the conclusion of Changes or 45 min after Murphy leaves? Has either been confirmed?

Harry spent nearly an hour (forty minutes, and then about ten just slacking) waiting for Murphy to come back at the end of Changes. Therefore, forty-five minutes after Changes, Murphy has come back at this point, and has discovered what's happened. Jim has stated that the first sentence of Aftermath is
(click to show/hide)
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Stark

• Participant
  • Ladies, ladies, you wanna roll in my mercedes?
    • View Profile
    • Open Bottles
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2010, 01:26:42 PM »
What happened to ThreeEye?

I recognize that the source got nuked, but there ought to be at least a crapton of ThreeEye junkies running about with WICKED cravings and crazy  nightmares. At the very least the sheer torture of withdrawal would attract a metric crapton on Skavises. Skavi. Skavisises. Whatever.

So what happened to the drug addicts?

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2010, 01:32:32 PM »
Marcone helped them out by lowering the cost of Heroin for a while.
It doesn't help with the crazy, but it does make them forget the world existed for a while.

Third Eye stopped existing.  I'm assuming that the people who were using it switched to something more mundane but equally horrible.  Or a few lucky ones got better.  And a metric ton of them are probably in psych wards.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2010, 04:51:51 PM »
I recognize that the source got nuked, but there ought to be at least a crapton of ThreeEye junkies running about with WICKED cravings and crazy  nightmares. At the very least the sheer torture of withdrawal would attract a metric crapton on Skavises. Skavi. Skavisises. Whatever.
So what happened to the drug addicts?

I don't recall anything saying it was particularly addictive.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Sheaman3773

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2010, 06:46:12 PM »

Um, it's been a little while since I've read SF, but didn't they say it was insanely addictive?
And when Mab thinks your evil plotting has gone too far.  You know you're way way over the line.

Offline Lady Knight Ignus

• Participant
  • Does anyone else hear ... strings?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2010, 07:10:57 PM »
We get a great description from Monica Sells of how much a person craves the three eye even after the first time they take it.  Victor Sells forced her to take it, so Monica knows what she's talking about.  That happens near the end of Storm Front when Harry visits her at her house.  Sorry, don't have the book in front of me so I can't provide a page number.
"So we get a plan," I said. "Any suggestions?"
"Blow up the building," Kincaid said without looking up. "That works good for vampires. Then soak what's left in gasoline. Set it on fire. Then blow it all up again."

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2010, 07:21:09 PM »
We get a great description from Monica Sells of how much a person craves the three eye even after the first time they take it.  Victor Sells forced her to take it, so Monica knows what she's talking about.  That happens near the end of Storm Front when Harry visits her at her house.  Sorry, don't have the book in front of me so I can't provide a page number.

OK, let me rephrase.

I remember the experience of the Sight brought on by the drug being compelling. I do not remember the drug being physically addictive.

I may be misremembering.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Stark

• Participant
  • Ladies, ladies, you wanna roll in my mercedes?
    • View Profile
    • Open Bottles
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2010, 12:29:38 AM »
OK, let me rephrase.

I remember the experience of the Sight brought on by the drug being compelling. I do not remember the drug being physically addictive.

I may be misremembering.

I'm a social worker.

Psychologically addicting things are just as dangerous as physically addicting ones. Addictions to things like gambling, internet posting, and sex (to name a few common ones, and no I'm not joking about the internet thing) are just as psychologically damaging when suddenly removed as things that are physically addicting.

But that's just my SCIENCE talking.