Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 354853 times)

Offline Nexus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #195 on: March 15, 2009, 03:33:22 AM »
I've had a little spare time, and i stumbled upon a really nice Timeline Tool, so i gave it a go.

It's still in its early stages, so there may be mistakes.

The Blue Lines over the individual events usually show the spread for those events that can not be exactly placed.
In some few cases they show the actual duration of the event.

This Timeline is based on the assumption that 0 ASF ist the year 2000.

have fun.

http://www.musterpuffer.de/JB/df/dftime.html

that, is VERY cool.  Although the blue bars for people make it look like they died.   :D

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #196 on: March 15, 2009, 02:17:05 PM »
I've had a little spare time, and i stumbled upon a really nice Timeline Tool, so i gave it a go.

It's still in its early stages, so there may be mistakes.

The Blue Lines over the individual events usually show the spread for those events that can not be exactly placed.
In some few cases they show the actual duration of the event.

This Timeline is based on the assumption that 0 ASF ist the year 2000.

have fun.

http://www.musterpuffer.de/JB/df/dftime.html

Awesome!  I think I saw that same timeline tool mentioned on Lifehacker some time ago, but I was never able to figure out how it worked.  Thanks for putting this together!

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 15, 2009, 03:06:09 PM »
I'm still working on it, some titles are still messed up, and longer axplanations to the events have to be added.
Maybe i'll color-code some of the events...

Ah, so much to do and so little time...

The tool i used is this one btw. http://www.simile-widgets.org/timeline/
It takes some getting used to, you should have heard me cursing at my PC while i tried to make it work... *g*

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 16, 2009, 08:20:29 PM »
I've been working on the graphical timeline, and something came up.

25-26 BSF, October 31:  Harry is born.  Harry's mother, now Margaret Gwendolyn Dresden, dies in childbirth.  She is murdered by a ritual entropy curse, courtesy of Lord Raith.

17-18 BSF:  At age 10, Harry manifests his magical abilities and is adopted by Justin DuMorne a few weeks later.  Elaine Mallory is adopted soon after.

How do those two entries fit together?
If Harry is about 10 when he is adopted, shouldn't it be 15-16 BSF in the second entry?

And some others:

8-9 BSF:  After leaving Ebenezar at age 19, Harry roamed around for a while (between nine and twenty months) before winding up in Chicago.  [NB: This is most likely to be on the short side of Jim's estimate]

~7 BSF:  At age 20, Harry arrives in Chicago.  Before he goes to work at Ragged Angel, he takes a number of jobs, one of which was as a dance partner with a senior-citizen organization.

5 BSF:  At age 20-21, Harry starts working with Nicholas Christian ("Nick") at Ragged Angel.  He spends three years there.

the ages and the BSF placements are not all consistent.
Just trying to get them straight.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:25:05 PM by Tsunami »

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 16, 2009, 11:33:47 PM »
Hey Tsunami.  Really great tool!

Is there any way to zoom in and out?  It would be nice to be able to see the whole timeline compressed.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 17, 2009, 09:16:32 AM »
I think there is a way to implement that, i'll have to take a look at it and see if its practical.

For starters you can simply use the zoom function in your browser. At least with Firefox.

The problem with zooming is that you won't be able to make out individual events or durations. I mean, it would be about 700 years compressed to one screen... pretty cramped.

Offline pdqsport

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 06, 2009, 04:01:52 AM »
I was just checking something for another thread and when I looked here, I'm wondering how often a wizard comes into the magic before the age of 10?  Based on the timeline, Carlos Ramirez was between 4 and 8 years old.  His birth is given as 16-19 BSF and the trial is between 11-12 BSF.  In DB Carlos seems to say that he was an apprentice at the time of Harry's trial.  (top of page 375 of the hardback)

I thought that most Wizards tended to initially manifest in the early teens (basically the same time as puberty kicks in), but I may just be imagining that.

Or was there a correction to Carlos' birth somewhere that I missed, maybe?  (or is this an unintentional slip in the book?)

Offline Joefoe

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 07, 2009, 03:07:52 PM »
I think it depends on whcih trial, I always took it as the trial during summer knight, which would have had him at about 18 or so I believe but Cillie may know more about it

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #203 on: April 07, 2009, 03:22:39 PM »
I was just checking something for another thread and when I looked here, I'm wondering how often a wizard comes into the magic before the age of 10?  Based on the timeline, Carlos Ramirez was between 4 and 8 years old.  His birth is given as 16-19 BSF and the trial is between 11-12 BSF.  In DB Carlos seems to say that he was an apprentice at the time of Harry's trial.  (top of page 375 of the hardback)

I thought that most Wizards tended to initially manifest in the early teens (basically the same time as puberty kicks in), but I may just be imagining that.

Or was there a correction to Carlos' birth somewhere that I missed, maybe?  (or is this an unintentional slip in the book?)

Jim clarified this point:

Actually, he was talking about Harry's confrontation with the White Council in "Summer Knight." :)  If you read the scene with the Senior Council again, there's a mention of a young apprentice in a brown robe hiding a grin behind one hand.

IE, Ramirez. :)

Jim

Harry's fight to prove his status as a Wizard in Summer Knight--the trial set by the Gatekeeper--is also referred to as a "trial" several times throughout the book.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 09, 2009, 05:49:52 AM »
I was wondering, do we know when the original Merlin was around in the dresdenverse?  The setting for Arthurian legends can vary pretty widely.  I was thinking about the whole ammoracchius not being reforged thing and I was trying to figure out how long it had been around before the Merlin was given care of it.  Plus it seems like a fairly central historical point, at least as far ans the BC is concerned.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 13, 2009, 06:29:47 PM »
You might be able to guesstimate it based off one of the scenes in TC.  I'd post it here, but I'm not sure what the rules for spoilers are in this thread.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Freya MacRieve

• Participant
  • It's Hockey Night in Canada!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 14, 2009, 04:47:12 AM »
so as an odd off the wall question - at which point does Thomas' white hummer get trashed? it says at the beginning of Turn Coat that it had been destroyed. I thought this was at the fancy "gerbil habitat" in the suburbs where he goes to see Gard and Hendricks but it isn't.... so I checked further in the book and it seems like its fine all through Small Favour. So when did this happen?

And thanks for the heart attack with Strange Brew. I thought I had missed a Jim Butcher book coming out... it was unthinkable... :P
C.I.A. - Certified Idiots Association

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #207 on: April 14, 2009, 04:56:33 AM »
so as an odd off the wall question - at which point does Thomas' white hummer get trashed? it says at the beginning of Turn Coat that it had been destroyed. I thought this was at the fancy "gerbil habitat" in the suburbs where he goes to see Gard and Hendricks but it isn't.... so I checked further in the book and it seems like its fine all through Small Favour. So when did this happen?

And thanks for the heart attack with Strange Brew. I thought I had missed a Jim Butcher book coming out... it was unthinkable... :P

A year and a half passes between SmF and TC.  Harry and Thomas have plenty of time to crash the Hummer!

Offline Freya MacRieve

• Participant
  • It's Hockey Night in Canada!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 14, 2009, 06:34:03 AM »
A year and a half passes between SmF and TC.  Harry and Thomas have plenty of time to crash the Hummer!

lol so true! just wasn't sure if I was missing or forgetting something...

and in the same line of insurance nightmares, when did Murphy's car bite it?

I think I've been reading too many romance books between Dresden novels... >< that and the intense Wizards First Rule...
C.I.A. - Certified Idiots Association

Offline anwan7

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 14, 2009, 12:00:29 PM »
lol so true! just wasn't sure if I was missing or forgetting something...

and in the same line of insurance nightmares, when did Murphy's car bite it?

WN paperback p64 end of chapter 6