Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 353664 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007, 04:45:04 AM »
Okay, I've added a personal timeline for Maggie, which seemed the most logical course of action seeing as we have so few actual dates for her.  I also added Harry's last encounter with Charity.  Not sure what to do about Lydia and the Reagan assassination attempt.

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 01:51:34 AM »
I was just rereading Grave Peril (well, the online sample chapters, anyway), and came across the following quote from Michael:

"Regardless, you needed to realize that you do love the woman. After Elaine, I thought you might isolate yourself too much and never—"

Kinda sounds like he knew Harry all the way back when he was DuMorne's apprentice, or at least shortly afterwards. Thoughts?
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline Kalshane

• Conversationalist
  • "You dare taste Fujisawa's Fist of Justice again?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 05:07:12 AM »
Kinda sounds like he knew Harry all the way back when he was DuMorne's apprentice, or at least shortly afterwards. Thoughts?

Best guess would be he saw something when he soul-gazed Harry when they first met that lead him to a line of questions that involved Elaine and Harry told Michael about her.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »
*bows in complete awe*  Well done on the timeline.

Offline Phil Boswell

• Conversationalist
  • I for one welcome my new Feline Overlords…
    • View Profile
    • User:Phil Boswell @ Wikipedia
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2007, 12:44:47 PM »
4-6 BSF:  The White Council holds their last trial for a known violator of the laws of magic.  In 6 ASF, Molly will be the first wizard to be tried in 10-12 years.
Remind me again about the young chap at the beginning of "Proven Guilty": was he just summarily convicted without a trial?

I know they talked about procedures and stuff: soul-gazes were involved if I recall correctly. Did this not constitute a trial?
Phil

Offline norman

• Conversationalist
  • All Hail the Pizza Lord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2007, 04:26:10 PM »
Marconne is a fairly major recurring character, any information on him?

Offline Kattalyne

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2007, 04:02:08 AM »
First I would like to say the time line is excellent, thank you!  The second thing that keeps me confuzzled is that Charity has the ability to use magic.  Which book is that mentioned in?
"You live but once, you might as well be amusing."  ~Gabrielle ("Coco") Chanel

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2007, 04:23:28 AM »
Proven Guilty.

Offline Kattalyne

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2007, 04:26:18 AM »
Ah...thank you.  And that explains much of my confusion...
"You live but once, you might as well be amusing."  ~Gabrielle ("Coco") Chanel

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2007, 05:08:03 AM »
Just noticed, Blood Rites, p.219, Bob, tired: "I've got about six hundred years worth of memories to sort through in here."  Meaningful to pin Bob's origin down to late fourteenth/early fifteenth century ?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 05:31:08 AM by neurovore »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2007, 07:09:25 AM »
Just noticed, Blood Rites, p.219, Bob, tired: "I've got about six hundred years worth of memories to sort through in here."  Meaningful to pin Bob's origin down to late fourteenth/early fifteenth century ?

Ooh, good catch!  I've added it to the timeline.

Offline Chuck Chuck Razool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2007, 12:58:40 AM »
Series (After Storm Front)

0 ASF, April: Storm Front.  Harry is 27 or 28, and he's been wizarding professionally for two years.  As an anonymous reader points out, "I was just starting Storm Front again, and I noticed this:
The end of the twentieth century and the dawn of the new millennium had seen something of a renaissance in the public awareness of the paranormal...
which would seem to imply that the events of Storm Front take place no earlier than 2000."  I'm guessing 2002 at the very earliest, meaning that the Dresden books occur a few years into the future with respect to when they're published.

I'm tired of living in the shadows...It was ME! I'm the anonymous tipster...but seriously, did I forget to sign that email?
"There's a voice that comes from everywhere, and it's not saying anything."

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2007, 01:37:11 PM »
I'm tired of living in the shadows...It was ME! I'm the anonymous tipster...but seriously, did I forget to sign that email?

Hee!  Thank you, Mark Felt.  Credit has now been properly attributed.

Offline tud

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2007, 05:51:39 AM »
Regarding  Murphy's timeline i've always been a bit bothered by it...For one thing, she's a teenager with a very protective mother (BR..She had to sneak out of the house to attend her senior prom) but she's allowed to marry a man 13 years older than she is? does that amek sense to anyone? I mean for one thing that would mean that a thirty year old was dating a seventeen year old..Where I come from that is called statutory rape (Well, it is if you actually do anything..otherwise it's just plain icky..).

Second, and more importantly, Murph is a LT. at the time of SF (and has been so for some time based on the vigenette) which means she acheived her rank at the ripe old age of no more than 27...Let me get this straight..She;s a young beat cop when she meets Harry and helps save Hope and four or five years later she's a LT.? Does anyone see what is wrong with this?  No one gets to be an LT. in a large police force without gaining seniority and there's no way she'd have enough of that at 25-27. Give her another four or five years and yeah, it works, but  as it stands,she just too young for her rank..Also, she's too young to have the experience which is alluded to during the series..Just when did she have the time to move up the ranks from beat cop to corporal to sargent to Lt plus work homicide sufficently to become proficient at such an investigation?

All this while being married and divorced  twice to men ten or more years older than her....All of this in a scant 10 to twelve years? No way!!!

tud

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2007, 03:47:30 PM »
Regarding  Murphy's timeline i've always been a bit bothered by it...For one thing, she's a teenager with a very protective mother (BR..She had to sneak out of the house to attend her senior prom) but she's allowed to marry a man 13 years older than she is? does that amek sense to anyone?

My take was, "allowed" isn't really an issue past the age of eighteen in that family.

I mean for one thing that would mean that a thirty year old was dating a seventeen year old..Where I come from that is called statutory rape (Well, it is if you actually do anything..otherwise it's just plain icky..).

Plenty of parts of the world 17's entirely legal. Only a couple of years after that age I was in relationships with an age gap ten years bigger than that.  It definitely has its plusses, and having more than one serious one of them before you're 27's not all that difficult really.

Second, and more importantly, Murph is a LT. at the time of SF (and has been so for some time based on the vigenette) which means she acheived her rank at the ripe old age of no more than 27...Let me get this straight..She;s a young beat cop when she meets Harry and helps save Hope and four or five years later she's a LT.? Does anyone see what is wrong with this?  No one gets to be an LT. in a large police force without gaining seniority and there's no way she'd have enough of that at 25-27.

If she was a lieutenant anywhere else in the structure of Chicago PD, I'd be more inclined to your side. Lieutenant in charge of Special Investigations is putting someone unpopular out on a very shaky ledge and waiting for them to fall, note what's in Storm Front about not even giving the SI director a proper nameplate because of how rapidly they are expected to mess up and lose the job; that was a promotion in name only. Nobody expected Murphy to be good enough to hold onto it and do useful things with it, and her doing so builds up a lot of resentment which I think is at least partly based in the seniority issue you're talking about.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 07:48:21 PM by neurovore »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.