Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 351074 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #720 on: October 30, 2016, 01:10:09 PM »
I can't find proof, but I am fairly certain that Knight Rider did rerun after it ended. Reminds me of how I remember being a big fan of the original Star Trek, even though I was only about 4 or 5 when it ended. I used to watch it on reruns in the early 70's.

It definitely reran in '87 and '88--I found quotes from people online who recall watching reruns those years--but I jut don't know the day of the week they were on. Harry specifically says he watched them on Friday.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: October 30, 2016, 05:20:20 PM »
It definitely reran in '87 and '88--I found quotes from people online who recall watching reruns those years--but I jut don't know the day of the week they were on. Harry specifically says he watched them on Friday.

The libraries I used to work at had microfilm collections of newspapers. if I still had access to them I could go back to 1987 and look up the TV listings.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #722 on: October 30, 2016, 06:59:43 PM »
I'm comfortable calling this a goof on Jim's part that wasn't caught by the betas. :D

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 19, 2017, 09:17:15 PM »
Just noticed that Jury Duty isnt on the timeline.  I think it's supposed to be set after Skin Game, yes?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #724 on: January 24, 2017, 04:56:43 AM »
Just noticed that Jury Duty isnt on the timeline.  I think it's supposed to be set after Skin Game, yes?

Ah, thanks!  Yep, it's set after Skin Game. Likely mid-May, given that the judge's comment that her granddaughter is graduating high school in three weeks. Will add!

Offline Sue

• Conversationalist
  • Words, once printed, have a life of their own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: January 27, 2017, 09:31:44 PM »
I just ran across an Anthology Pre-Order offer on Amazon, which Jim is apparently the author of? It doesn't say anything about the names of the short stories included ... and the new book isn't on this site, as far as I can see.
Would you clarify the details about "Urban Enemies" by Jim Butcher releasing on August 1, 2017?

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Urban-Enemies-Jim-Butcher/dp/1501155083
ALL the Gods should be honored, you never know which one is listening …

│▒│ /▒/
│▒│/▒/
│▒ /▒/─┬─┐
│▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐┘┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒│
☮*☮*☮*☮*☮

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: January 30, 2017, 01:28:53 PM »
I just ran across an Anthology Pre-Order offer on Amazon, which Jim is apparently the author of? It doesn't say anything about the names of the short stories included ... and the new book isn't on this site, as far as I can see.
Would you clarify the details about "Urban Enemies" by Jim Butcher releasing on August 1, 2017?

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Urban-Enemies-Jim-Butcher/dp/1501155083
It is an anthology of short stories edited by Joseph Nassise, which includes a reprinting of Even Hand, a Dresden Files short story told from the point of view of John Marcone, which was originally published in Dark and Stormy Knights, edited by Pat Elrod. Jim was the first Aurthor listed and I think Amazon's system just displays his name first.   All of the Dresden Books and Short Stories are listed Here if you need a reference.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: January 30, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »
So we know that Elaine was born within a few months of Harry, anyone know of any more details on when, or who's older?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 08, 2017, 12:43:03 AM »
1812:  Ebenezar causes the New Madrid Earthquake [BR, 297], the largest earthquake ever recorded in the contiguous United States and an estimated 8.0 on the Richter scale.  Clearly, he's been Blackstaff for a long time!

Hey Priscellie, Jim gave us a ballpark figure for when Eb took up the blackstaff that conflicts with this.  Someone quoted ya on reddit and I was like, "Wait a minute..." and had to go digging. 

Eb took up the Blackstaff in 1884-1885 somewhere in there.  The Blackstaff chooses his successor. 
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #729 on: February 08, 2017, 02:40:28 AM »
Hey Priscellie, Jim gave us a ballpark figure for when Eb took up the blackstaff that conflicts with this.  Someone quoted ya on reddit and I was like, "Wait a minute..." and had to go digging.

Jim tends to be more prone to mistakes when he's speaking off the cuff (and y'know, not being betaed :D), but who knows?  I'll run it by him.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 08, 2017, 07:54:06 PM »
Jim tends to be more prone to mistakes when he's speaking off the cuff (and y'know, not being betaed :D), but who knows?  I'll run it by him.

Sounds a bit like what I said recently about his response to a question I asked him at a signing once
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 09, 2017, 07:18:58 PM »
Bolding of quote from book added:

Series (After Storm Front)

0 ASF, April: Storm Front.  Harry is 27 or 28, and he's been wizarding professionally for two years.  As an anonymous reader points out, "I was just starting Storm Front again, and I noticed this:
Quote from: Storm Front chapter 1
The end of the twentieth century and the dawn of the new millennium had seen something of a renaissance in the public awareness of the paranormal...
which would seem to imply that the events of Storm Front take place no earlier than 2000."  I'm guessing 2002 at the very earliest, meaning that the Dresden books occur a few years into the future with respect to when they're published.

I'm tired of living in the shadows...It was ME! I'm the anonymous tipster...but seriously, did I forget to sign that email?

I can't find a reference to the bolded quote in the timeline any more...  I searched through the replies in the topic and couldn't find the reason, so can you provide it?
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 10, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »
Random bit of specificity I can across that might fit in the "Eb and Langtry have know each other since way back" item:

Quote from: TC Ch 49
Ebenezar shrugged. “He’s never been easy to read. And I’ve known him since I was sixteen years old.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #733 on: March 11, 2017, 08:58:49 PM »
Bolding of quote from book added:
 which would seem to imply that the events of Storm Front take place no earlier than 2000."  I'm guessing 2002 at the very earliest, meaning that the Dresden books occur a few years into the future with respect to when they're published.

I'm tired of living in the shadows...It was ME! I'm the anonymous tipster...but seriously, did I forget to sign that email?

I can't find a reference to the bolded quote in the timeline any more...  I searched through the replies in the topic and couldn't find the reason, so can you provide it?

I stopped considering that line evidence of a post-2000 start point because of all the various hints that the series was "written" years later.  From that perspective, Writer!Harry was referring to an overall trend that the books take place along.  Storm Front taking place at the end of the twentieth century makes total sense to me.

Random bit of specificity I can across that might fit in the "Eb and Langtry have know each other since way back" item:

Great catch!

Offline Thanatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 14, 2017, 05:57:02 PM »
This has probably already been pointed out, but I haven't read the entire ten year history of this thread.

Harry may not be an entirely reliable narrator, and personal memories are notoriously prone to unconscious editing.  Why not just figure that Harry's age and childhood media references (Knight Rider, etc.) are based on Jim's?  I expect that Bob might have exact dates, but he could have ended up in a situation such that Harry no longer has access to him for reference by the time Harry is meant to be writing his case memoirs.  Bob has basically moved on to a new owner by now, but maybe he gets captured by fae, or his skull home gets broken, etc.