Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 354377 times)

wizard nelson

Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #675 on: July 26, 2015, 06:12:42 PM »
I'll scour the more recent WoJs to be sure
Still haven't found it? Idk for sure, maybe m way off cause I haven't had my books with me for a few, but maybe Harry says something about when Mac got there in monologue in one of the two or three most recent books, when he's headed there for one of the various meetings. Idk for sure though.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 27, 2015, 01:00:19 PM »
{Arachnid Alien to the Rescue} Technically not a WoJ, but here's a quote from the entry on Mac in the DFRPG:

Quote from: Our World page 180
What we know about Mac: he opened his pub a few years before Harry Dresden came to Chicago; nobody knows where he’d been before that or what he’d done.

The rest of the description is taken completely from the books, so it's not impossible this part is as well.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 27, 2015, 01:58:22 PM »
{Arachnid Alien to the Rescue} Technically not a WoJ, but here's a quote from the entry on Mac in the DFRPG:

The rest of the description is taken completely from the books, so it's not impossible this part is as well.

Huzzah (ish) ;)

This is good though thanks, I think its enough to kickstart the theory in full. Its mostly ironed out in my head anyway so putting it down shouldn't take longer than today now.
"Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave." DDS

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 28, 2015, 11:48:04 AM »

Quote from: Our World page 180
What we know about Mac: he opened his pub a few years before Harry Dresden came to Chicago; nobody knows where he’d been before that or what he’d done.

That was what I was hazily remembering!  I would never have found that on my own, and I was getting kind of depressed that I had such a distinct memory of a report on the timing of Mac's arrival, but couldn't find it. 

Thanks for saving my sanity knnn!

Edit:  Perhaps our timeline chick can verify this factoid with Jim or the RPG crew that have access to the notes Jim provided.  BTW, I skimmed through the beginning of Heriot and didn't find anything on this.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 11:50:22 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 28, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »
Edit:  Perhaps our timeline chick can verify this factoid with Jim or the RPG crew that have access to the notes Jim provided.  BTW, I skimmed through the beginning of Heriot and didn't find anything on this.

Eldest Gruff pointed out later that this is also referenced in DB.   Much better source.

Quote from: DB
I sipped at the ale and mused. I knew little of Mac's background. He'd opened the tavern a few years before I'd moved to Chicago. No one I'd talked to knew where he'd been before that, or what he had done.

Perhaps it's worth adding this little tidbit to the wiki entry on Mac.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 28, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »
I just came across this in his topic in the theory section.

That topic is passing Go, collecting it's $200 and then plopping down in the DFRC!

(Oh, and I'm kinda proud at my contribution to this eventual addition to the timeline ;) )
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 28, 2015, 01:03:07 PM »
Eldest Gruff pointed out later that this is also referenced in DB.   Much better source.

Perhaps it's worth adding this little tidbit to the wiki entry on Mac.

Seems there is always something new to find even in a book i've read about 17 times  ;D

I just came across this in his topic in the theory section.

That topic is passing Go, collecting it's $200 and then plopping down in the DFRC!

(Oh, and I'm kinda proud at my contribution to this eventual addition to the timeline ;) )

Sweeeet.
"Home is where, when you go there and tell people to get out, they have to leave." DDS

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 28, 2015, 02:01:58 PM »
Well we did all say that "we remember something along those lines", we just didn't have an exact quote.  ...all the more reason to go back and do another reread.
DV Geek code:

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 28, 2015, 02:20:26 PM »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 28, 2015, 09:57:56 PM »
here ya go

Awesome. Now I can hire Goodman Grey 200 times over  8)

Offline Lawgiver

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 17, 2015, 04:40:50 PM »
Timeline Note: Somewhere in the 8-9 ASF timeframe, the Big Hoods, the gang under Corpsetaker's control that Harry confronts in Ghost Story were formed.

This is according to Nick Christian late in GS, Ch. 25, while talking to Fitz.

"Hngh," Nick said. Lines appeared on his brow. "There's one, where they all wear the hoodies with the hoods up all the time. Got rolling maybe three or four years back. They don't call themselves anything, but the gangs call them the Big Hoods. No one knows much about them."

This timeline puts the gang's formation roughly in the group of --

It's My Birthday Too (February 8ASF)
Heorot (October 8ASF)
Small Favor (November 8ASF)

Backup (early March 9ASF)
Day Off (undetermined 9ASF)
The Warrior (summer 9ASF)
Curses (Summer 9 ASF)

and possibly AAAA Wizardry (between May 9ASF and summer of 10ASF according to the Timeline itself)
"Sufficiently advanced technology," my ass.

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 08, 2015, 04:32:41 PM »
I listened to Turn Coat recently and noticed some details I think would be helpful for the timing. The heat mentioned in the first chapter notwithstanding, Harry says that the lilacs are blooming outside his apartment building-- that generally happens in May/June.  Murphy is also wearing a jacket when she meets up with Harry after the encounter with the skinwalker at Billy's, which means that the evening temperatures are cool-- you don't generally need a jacket at any time of the day or night in full-on summer in Chicago.  (Or rather, you don't really need it in Minneapolis, and I can't imagine that Chicago is cooler, even with the lake.)

As for locating the series relative to real-world year, Circuit City is apparently still in business, as Harry mentions that he keeps getting flyers from them in his mail.  CC closed all of their physical locations in ~2009 (it was announced in January and took effect by the end of March.)  Those flyers might have been for their online business, however, which apparently continued for a while, so it's not as firm a date as I would like.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 15, 2015, 02:06:18 PM »
The entry for Drakul's birth says that he is a Half-Mortal, Half-Demon scion.  Is that confirmed?  There is a lot of speculation circling him and his heritage, with either Demon or Dragon being the front-runners.  If this has been settled I want to let folks know. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 22, 2015, 08:22:42 PM »
The entry for Drakul's birth says that he is a Half-Mortal, Half-Demon scion.  Is that confirmed?  There is a lot of speculation circling him and his heritage, with either Demon or Dragon being the front-runners.  If this has been settled I want to let folks know. 
So, the AMA is still in progress, but we got this answered...sort of: 
"Drakul wasn't a scion of anything! He was something entirely unhuman that got trapped in human form."
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Eldest Gruff

• Posty McPostington
  • Alleged Sniper
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 22, 2015, 11:26:34 PM »
So, the AMA is still in progress, but we got this answered...sort of:

Additionally:

Quote from: jimbutcher
Dracula was his half-human child, who naturally had enormous paternal issues, and wound up creating himself as the first Black Court Vampire in an effort to win his father's approval.

So perhaps if the historical timeline follows the DV, the Black Court is about 500+ years old...the youngest of the Vampiric Courts in all likelihood.