Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 353875 times)

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2008, 09:05:20 AM »
I don't know if this has been pointed out before, but eBay was only aquired by Paypal in October 2002, so as Priscellie points out in every post (I only noticed the sig, last week.  Cool!!!), the earliest PG can be take place is July 2003.

Also, as previously shown, The latest Death Masks could have taken place was Feb. 2001.  (TWA stopped flying in Dec. 2001)

Since (according to the second post in this thread) DM takes place 3 years before PG, we have seem to have two choices:

DM - Feb. 2000,  PG - July 2003
DM - Feb. 2001,  PG - July 2004

Hart.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2008, 01:04:49 PM »
I don't know if this has been pointed out before, but eBay was only aquired by Paypal in October 2002, so as Priscellie points out in every post (I only noticed the sig, last week.  Cool!!!), the earliest PG can be take place is July 2003.

Also, as previously shown, The latest Death Masks could have taken place was Feb. 2001.  (TWA stopped flying in Dec. 2001)

Since (according to the second post in this thread) DM takes place 3 years before PG, we have seem to have two choices:

DM - Feb. 2000,  PG - July 2003
DM - Feb. 2001,  PG - July 2004

Hart.

Great detective work, Hart!  However, I think those factors--especially the TWA thing--are likely slipups on Jim's part rather than indicators of the time.  Having DM take place in 2000 or 2001 would mean that SF took place in 1997 or 1998, and therefore that Harry was born around 1972, a full two years before a young David Copperfield adopted that stage name.  On the other hand, the airport security in DM does feel pre-9/11.  Hmm.

Offline micro

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2008, 01:24:15 PM »
Great detective work, Hart!  However, I think those factors--especially the TWA thing--are likely slipups on Jim's part rather than indicators of the time.  Having DM take place in 2000 or 2001 would mean that SF took place in 1997 or 1998, and therefore that Harry was born around 1972, a full two years before a young David Copperfield adopted that stage name.  On the other hand, the airport security in DM does feel pre-9/11.  Hmm.
Poor Jim we pressure him to write faster then pick apart at the continuality.

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2008, 04:59:51 PM »
Poor Jim we pressure him to write faster then pick apart at the continuality..

Heh. 

When I first thought about the eBay thing, I was sure this was a mistake (I also caught the TWA thing while re-reading DM, but it was posted here already) . 

Maybe in in Dresden's world TWA was more successful?  Maybe this is a hint that the CEO of TWA is magically talented (Maybe he's even the Gatekeeper/Cowl)   ;D ;D ;D

Yeah.  It's probably a slipup.
Hart.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2008, 11:04:22 PM »
Maybe in in Dresden's world TWA was more successful?  Maybe this is a hint that the CEO of TWA is magically talented (Maybe he's even the Gatekeeper/Cowl)   ;D ;D ;D

They had a deal with Monoc...  *pauses to imagine Ms. Gard in a stewardess uniform*   ;D
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline doc hatter

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2008, 10:44:38 PM »
In Restoration of Faith, Harry mentions "the Vargassis working out of Little Italy" in passing... implying to me that Marcone hadn't yet become the head honcho.  OTOH, he seems to be pretty much established by SF to the point that Harry can talk about how crime has changed since he took over.  Therefore, would 2 BSF be a good approximation for Marcone's rise to power?

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2008, 11:05:50 PM »
In Restoration of Faith, Harry mentions "the Vargassis working out of Little Italy" in passing... implying to me that Marcone hadn't yet become the head honcho.  OTOH, he seems to be pretty much established by SF to the point that Harry can talk about how crime has changed since he took over.  Therefore, would 2 BSF be a good approximation for Marcone's rise to power?

Wow, excellent catch!  Thanks.

Offline Maltese Falcon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The_Detective
« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2008, 02:31:22 PM »
4-6 BSF:  The White Council holds their last hearing for a known violator of the laws of magic.  In 6 ASF, Molly will be the first wizard to be tried in 10-12 years.

Um what about the korean kid I think that they put on trial and than behead?
Near the opening of PG.
Or did they skip the trial and just swing the sword?
In life, up is down,
down is up.
The answer is up to you,
so get it right.
~Spencer (aka me)

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2008, 03:55:50 PM »
Um what about the korean kid I think that they put on trial and than behead?
Near the opening of PG.
Or did they skip the trial and just swing the sword?

The Korean kid had a trial, but not a hearing.  I explain the difference here. :D

Offline Zarrot

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2008, 05:50:24 PM »
In Maggie Dresden's Timeline it says...

+ It is unclear when she sets up the special Harry and Thomas soul gaze message.

...however based on biology and info from PG I think we could accurately place this withins weeks of Harry's birth.

Reasons:

1) The Obvious - Harry had to "exist" for the spell to lock to him.  So at minimum it would have to have occurred within 8 months of his birth.
2) Baby Hair - In PG, Harry fails to find Molly using her baby hair.  Bob states that this is because babies are mailable and Molly is no longer what she was  then.   If you extend that concept to a fetus, well, anyone who has seen a sonogram knows that an early pregnancy fetus does not much resemble a baby.  The changes during this period are radical therefore it would make sense to wait as long as possible for that fetus to be very near it's completed development prior to trying to imprint it. 

So in my book this would place the casting of the spell in the Third Trimester minimum, I think one could safely say October.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 06:03:02 PM by Zarrot »
"Every one else who lets me ride their dinosaur calls me Carlos"

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2008, 12:04:04 PM »
Reasons:

1) The Obvious - Harry had to "exist" for the spell to lock to him.  So at minimum it would have to have occurred within 8 months of his birth.
2) Baby Hair - In PG, Harry fails to find Molly using her baby hair.  Bob states that this is because babies are mailable and Molly is no longer what she was  then.   If you extend that concept to a fetus, well, anyone who has seen a sonogram knows that an early pregnancy fetus does not much resemble a baby.  The changes during this period are radical therefore it would make sense to wait as long as possible for that fetus to be very near it's completed development prior to trying to imprint it. 

So in my book this would place the casting of the spell in the Third Trimester minimum, I think one could safely say October.

Just an idea, here-- things like hair or a picture or whatever are only necessary if you need to create a symbolic link to another person or object. I'm guessing that, if the other person is actually with you constantly, and is in fact inside of your own body, no such symbolic link is necessary. You're already touching them, so you probably have all you need to open a magical channel between you and them. In fact, with pregnancy being such a special case, one might speculate that there could be a constant, inseparable magical link between the mother and the child until the child is born and the umbilical cord is cut.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2008, 12:53:51 PM »
Just an idea, here-- things like hair or a picture or whatever are only necessary if you need to create a symbolic link to another person or object. I'm guessing that, if the other person is actually with you constantly, and is in fact inside of your own body, no such symbolic link is necessary. You're already touching them, so you probably have all you need to open a magical channel between you and them. In fact, with pregnancy being such a special case, one might speculate that there could be a constant, inseparable magical link between the mother and the child until the child is born and the umbilical cord is cut.

Agreed Blood relation, especially the parent-child one, is a strong link in itself.  Remember what Bob said about anchoring spells in bloodlines, like the loup-garou
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline SailorYue

• Posty McPostington
  • I have a strange power, tied in with ESP
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2008, 04:45:18 PM »
cool, with the info on Thomas, i can better.... well understand things for something.

0-1 BSF, late winter?: Thomas and Justine become involved.  This is "nearly five years" before the events of Blood Rites, which takes place in late Autumn of 4 BSF [BR 14].  Justine is about 16, and Thomas is probably in his early- to mid-thirties.  At the risk of sounding judgemental, eww.
lol, i never knew he was THAT old XD BUT i guess age could be reletive, i would think that WC Vamps age slower than humans.
aproximatly...

-----
avatar image found on Sherrilyn Kenyon's site.
it's Acheron's avatar, THE COOLEST, SCARIEST GOD ever.
--------------
Friendship and Laughter are the best medicine against depression =)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2008, 03:23:31 PM »
cool, with the info on Thomas, i can better.... well understand things for something.
 lol, i never knew he was THAT old XD BUT i guess age could be reletive, i would think that WC Vamps age slower than humans.
Weird.  I always picture him as younger, but then he has to be older than Harry.

Side Topic:

Since SmF I have been wanting to add a timeline of the Blue Beetle's transformation over the books.  Anyone willing to pitch in?

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline SailorYue

• Posty McPostington
  • I have a strange power, tied in with ESP
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2008, 03:29:17 PM »
Weird.  I always picture him as younger, but then he has to be older than Harry.

wel, like i said. Thomas might be old in age, but he probably still looks quite young, upper 20's maybe. i would think that WC Vamps, being the semi-imortals they are, would age much slower. like how Wizards can live for many canturies before looking their age, WC Vamps  would as well. they would carry that trait.
aproximatly...

-----
avatar image found on Sherrilyn Kenyon's site.
it's Acheron's avatar, THE COOLEST, SCARIEST GOD ever.
--------------
Friendship and Laughter are the best medicine against depression =)