Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 354272 times)

Offline LtHorn46

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #495 on: October 09, 2012, 01:40:43 AM »
OK, I found this in the Timeline list.
     5 ASF, late September: I Was A Teenage Bigfoot, the short story from Blood Lite
     3:Aftertaste.  Irwin is 14.

5 ASF, October (Halloween): Dead Beat.  Georgia is now in Grad School, which
     makes sense now that we know she was in college in FM.  We're not sure when
     they started grad school, but we do know that she and the rest of the Alphas are
     going to graduate in a year and a half.  Ramirez is 20, according to Word of God.
     October 29: The book begins.
     October 31: The Darkhallow

While reading I was a Teenage Bigfoot, Harry says this when he confronts the bad guy.
     "Wizard," I said quietly. "White Council. Heck, Doctor, I'm even a Warden these days."

Curious if any one else has noticed this and how this changes the stories place in the timeline.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #496 on: October 09, 2012, 08:12:55 AM »
Ah, you're absolutely right!  I knew the story was "circa Dead Beat," but I couldn't remember if it was before or after.  Don't remember what caused me to pick late September, but whatever it was, it was inaccurate.  Moving now!

Offline Thanatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 30, 2012, 05:24:51 PM »
This has probably been asked before, but this is a huge thread...

How do we square:
"25 BSF, October 31: Harry is born."   
and:
"0 ASF, March: Storm Front.  Harry is 25, according to Jim, and he's been wizarding professionally for two years.  We can reasonably place the year 0 in the timeline within a year or two of 2000, and there's a fair amount of evidence indicating that it could be 2000."
with:
"AGE 27-28: Storm Front" ?

I'm in favour of the first two, since making him 25 in 2000 is easier for me to remember and calculate from, as we'd share the birth year 1975.

Offline Anthony

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 04, 2012, 07:58:10 PM »
Can anybody tell me the exact time Lisa Murphy married Richard Boughton? If so, in what story is this mentioned?
Mine honour is my life; both grow in one; take honour from me and my life is done.

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 04, 2012, 09:36:34 PM »
Can anybody tell me the exact time Lisa Murphy married Richard Boughton? If so, in what story is this mentioned?
We find out they're engaged in Blood Rites, Chapter 28.  I don't recall that the wedding date is on page anywhere.
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 04, 2012, 09:44:18 PM »
But we know they are married by Proven Guilty, if memory serves me correctly.
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline Anthony

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 05, 2012, 08:29:14 AM »
We find out they're engaged in Blood Rites, Chapter 28.  I don't recall that the wedding date is on page anywhere.

Ok thanks!

Somehow I had the impression Harry was at that wedding (imagine Harry at the wedding with the family of Murphy). Clearly i am mistaken.
Mine honour is my life; both grow in one; take honour from me and my life is done.

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 05, 2012, 03:44:06 PM »
Ok thanks!

Somehow I had the impression Harry was at that wedding (imagine Harry at the wedding with the family of Murphy). Clearly i am mistaken.
The only wedding I recall on page is Billy & Georgia's wedding, which was in the short story Something Borrowed (Takes place between Dead Beat and Proven Guilty).
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #503 on: November 05, 2012, 03:45:10 PM »
Ok thanks!

Yep.  You may be remembering the Murphy family reunion picnic in Blood Rites.

Offline Anthony

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 05, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »
Yep.  You may be remembering the Murphy family reunion picnic in Blood Rites.

That must have been it!

Thanks, it has been bothering me for some time that i could not figure it out...

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #505 on: November 05, 2012, 04:35:07 PM »
I seem to remember Jim mentioning somewhere that Murphy's trip to Hawaii during Dead Beat was for Lisa's wedding. If they're engaged in Blood Rites and married by the time of Proven Guilty, that would make sense.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline lovejoy69

• Posty McPostington
  • Ignore it, run away, bonk the offender on the head
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 05, 2012, 04:55:51 PM »
This has probably been asked before, but this is a huge thread...

How do we square:
"25 BSF, October 31: Harry is born."   
and:
"0 ASF, March: Storm Front.  Harry is 25, according to Jim, and he's been wizarding professionally for two years.  We can reasonably place the year 0 in the timeline within a year or two of 2000, and there's a fair amount of evidence indicating that it could be 2000."
with:
"AGE 27-28: Storm Front" ?

I'm in favour of the first two, since making him 25 in 2000 is easier for me to remember and calculate from, as we'd share the birth year 1975.
I've usually gone with the context of placing Harry just about a year younger than Jim. I don't know (textev) if that's accurate but it would give Jim the advantage of being also being within a year or so of the same age as Harry during the writing months.  In March 0 ASF, that would set Harry at a few weeks less than 25-1/2. (Yes, I know that sometimes Jim has gone back to set a shortie in an earlier time setting, such as Irwin Pounder's earlier years, but Harry's own timeline in the books seems to roughly echo RL time.)

There can be advantages to writing an urban fantasy character who has seen about as much of the wider world and contemporary events as the author. When one is twenty, there's more of a stretch to make a seventy-five year old character's ideas and outlook, or a three year old's, be consistent with what it's like to really be that age. Often it's done, and very well, but it's just a bit more intentional. When one is twenty-five and one's friends and peers are about the same age, that's a constant reality check. My experiences, my norms, are effectively considerably different than are those of someone far older or far younger. We've grown up in different worlds, because of time and events we've experienced.

For my guesstimate that JB 26 Oct 1971 would parallel Harry Dresden 31 Oct 197x, Storm Front was written during his coursework with Debbie Chester at OU, Norman, Oklahoma. Storm Front was published in 2000, but SF and FM were ready and I think GP also finished or nearly so, by the time SF hit the shelves. From that, I'd guess that Dresden's birth year would be more in the 1971 to 1974 range rather than all the way to 1975. Just guessing.
"...when you know something the rest of us don't."
"It's like heroin for wizards," I confirmed.
   ===          ===
"And if the child was no warlock, she would have lowered the shield by now."
"No! I'm not dropping the shield until Harry says it's okay." She paused. "Uh, besides. I'm not sure how."

Offline Ziggelly

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 06, 2012, 01:32:49 AM »
Yeah, but if you go any earlier than 1975, you get into another small problem: David Copperfield wouldn't have had his stage name yet.
Though maybe Jim hadn't quite thought that one through? :-\

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 11, 2013, 05:10:31 PM »
Yeah, but if you go any earlier than 1975, you get into another small problem: David Copperfield wouldn't have had his stage name yet.
Though maybe Jim hadn't quite thought that one through? :-\

If Malcolm met David before Harry was born, it is even possible that Malcolm suggested the stage name Copperfield to him.  So he knew ahead of time what stage name DC was going to use when he was ready.   
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #509 on: January 11, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »
Jim has told me, "His birthday was actually 1976. I've always meant him to be about five years younger than me."

This may introduce plotholes, but I don't think it's any more hole-y than any other year. :D