Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 355149 times)

Offline Sydna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #480 on: June 08, 2012, 09:33:46 PM »
It is a known mistake.

I just made this account to ask whether it's a mistake in just my books or in all the books, because I remember when I read it recently, in book 4 (Summer Night) McCoy called the Merlin Alfred, but in every book after that it says his name is Arthur. And then I noticed in this timeline he was also referred to as Alfred, so my question is what's his name, and whether anyone else noticed this or if it's just my version of the books? (Bear in mind that they're in e-book format)
Not by fire but by ice.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #481 on: June 08, 2012, 09:37:41 PM »
Yup.  I should probably use Arthur in the timeline, as that's the more common usage.  Thanks for pointing it out!

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #482 on: June 20, 2012, 04:56:29 PM »
Minor quibble:

7 ASF, June:  The Alphas will graduate.

I think it's mostly just middle and high schools that graduate in June. Most every college graduation I've seen has been held in May at the latest. Or does the University of Chicago usually have it later?
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

dimpwnc

« Reply #483 on: June 20, 2012, 11:21:49 PM »
Minor quibble:

I think it's mostly just middle and high schools that graduate in June. Most every college graduation I've seen has been held in May at the latest. Or does the University of Chicago usually have it later?
U Chicago's on the quarter system, and as far as I can tell, most quarter system schools have their graduations in June.
http://convocation.uchicago.edu/
So probably June is a good estimate :)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 13, 2012, 08:41:28 PM »
I have a new one for the timeline:  Victor Sells discovered Magic somewhere around 6 years BSF.  His wife had no idea where or how.   Given what we learned in Changes this may become important. 

The math is a little fuzzy.  He discovered it when his son was 4.  Sells daughter (Jenny) was "on the gawky end of preadolescence" which I place as 10-12 Years old (ish), and their son (Billy) was "perhaps a year or two younger than his sister".  If we say that translates to 10 years old during Storm Front, that would place Victor getting introduced to magic around 6 BSF.

Which means it happened right about the time harry left the Ozarks and would have been back in play, so to speak...  But Im sure that has nothing to do with anything ;)

From Storm Front
"It was when Billy was about four that Victor found the magic. I don't know where. But he started getting obsessed with it. He brought home books and books. Strange things. He put a lock on the door to the attic, and after dinner he'd vanish up there. Some nights, he wouldn't come to bed. Some nights, I thought I could hear things, up there. Voices. Or things that weren't voices." She shuddered.
A girl, on the gawky end of preadolescence, with hair the color of her mother's, leaned out into the hallway. "Mom?" she said in a quavering voice. "Mom, are you okay? Do you want me to call the police?" A boy, perhaps a year or two younger than his sister, poked his head out, too.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline spyderdiva

• Lurker
  • Happy old Witch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 15, 2012, 04:29:34 AM »
Could he have used different names in different eras, or could Arthur go with the title Merlin, and Alfred be his given name?
Spyderdiva
"Your argument is invalid, for I have an owl!"
                                                     unknown

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
« Reply #486 on: August 16, 2012, 03:32:23 AM »
Or maybe one is his middle name.
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline russiameg

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 17, 2012, 06:56:35 PM »
I just noticed while re-reading "It's My Birthday, Too" that Harry says he went straight into the orphanage following his father's death, and that it was Christmas -- which suggests Malcolm died in winter, at the very least. I don't have a page number, sadly, I was reading the e-book version and it garbled all the page numbers.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #488 on: September 20, 2012, 07:03:23 PM »
You know, given what we know now (or at least has been insinuated by Butcher), should an "apparently" be added to the note of Collin Murphy's suicide, or perhaps that he's found dead, apparently having committed suicide?
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 21, 2012, 01:50:49 PM »
You know, given what we know now (or at least has been insinuated by Butcher), should an "apparently" be added to the note of Collin Murphy's suicide, or perhaps that he's found dead, apparently having committed suicide?

Sure, if was just his hand that was holding the gun that shot him.  It just might not have been his decision to aim it at his head and pull the trigger.
I don't know--  maybe he did commit suicide.  We just don't know enough.
Maybe it was his decision; he was just feeling supernatually worthless and small at the moment (Skavis, any one?)

I'd say leave it as-is until we know something concrete.  Just my 2˘, though.
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Ziggelly

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 21, 2012, 02:18:52 PM »
Umm.. there's a weirdness with the Harry-gets-his-magic-and-moves-in-with-Justin timeline which should probably be mentioned, if it hasn't already.

SK is the only mention of him being ten. If there are others, I have yet to find them anywhere. However, there are two mentions of him being twelve in GS, and I know for certain there's a WoJ supporting it; I just can't seem to be able to dig it up.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 21, 2012, 09:54:42 PM »
Umm.. there's a weirdness with the Harry-gets-his-magic-and-moves-in-with-Justin timeline which should probably be mentioned, if it hasn't already.

SK is the only mention of him being ten. If there are others, I have yet to find them anywhere. However, there are two mentions of him being twelve in GS, and I know for certain there's a WoJ supporting it; I just can't seem to be able to dig it up.

It's the WoJ that's about when Ebenezar and Maggie Sr's talents came in, it puts them at the same time as Harry, 12 or 13.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #492 on: September 22, 2012, 01:02:28 AM »

His first unconscious manifestation, the long jump, was when he was ten.  He was adopted soon after.  Harry was twelve when he consciously produced his first spell: "flickum bicus." 

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 22, 2012, 05:43:45 AM »
His first unconscious manifestation, the long jump, was when he was ten.  He was adopted soon after.  Harry was twelve when he consciously produced his first spell: "flickum bicus."

What's this then?

How old were Eb and Maggie Sr when they first manifested a talent?
Same age as Harry–around 12 or 13.

Did the manifested talent bit just refer to consciously casting a spell rather than random bursts?

Also, that's a rather large gap between first use and first conscious use.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #494 on: September 22, 2012, 05:48:04 AM »
What's this then?

Did the manifested talent bit just refer to consciously casting a spell rather than random bursts?

Also, that's a rather large gap between first use and first conscious use.

That was Jim not listening to his betas. :D