Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 355132 times)

Offline tud

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2007, 09:24:12 AM »
Regarding 17 being legal...Not in almost all the US except with permission of the parent..you really think that Mama Murphy would allow her eldest daughter to date someone 13 years older than her ..at 17 (Not 18..she was 17 at the time)

As for the Lieutenant issue..My problem isn't with the idea of her being shunted to SI because she stepped on some toes..But you don't just get promoted to the upper ranks..you have to have the requisite time in grade and then sit for an exam..and for the upper ranks you have to have a degree..There isn't a large police department in the country that doesn't require that...

tud

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2007, 06:25:21 PM »
Regarding 17 being legal...Not in almost all the US except with permission of the parent..you really think that Mama Murphy would allow her eldest daughter to date someone 13 years older than her ..at 17 (Not 18..she was 17 at the time)

Define "date".

Hang out, get to know each other, become fond of each other, not do anything illegal... I can see it if the guy was a genuinely good person and Mrs. Murphy knew him and liked and trusted him. And he does seem to have been a good guy from what Murphy says about him in SK.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Kalshane

• Conversationalist
  • "You dare taste Fujisawa's Fist of Justice again?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2007, 04:54:35 PM »
Age of consent in Illinois (and thus Chicago) is 17. Not to say a 30 year old dating/marrying a 17 year old isn't creepy.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2007, 05:19:36 PM »
Age of consent in Illinois (and thus Chicago) is 17. Not to say a 30 year old dating/marrying a 17 year old isn't creepy.

Besides, I'm not sure how recent immigrants the Murphy family are; and if Ma Murphy grew up in Ireland, she'd be used to 16 being age of consent.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2007, 08:08:02 PM »
For those curious, here's the logic that went into the calculation:

In "Blood Rites," we learn that Murphy's youngest sister, Lisa, is a month short of 21.  This book takes place in the late Autumn of 4 ASF.
We know Collin Murphy committed suicide when Karrin was 11, so Karrin can be a maximum of 12 years older than Lisa (in the case that he died before Lisa was born, but after she was conceived).
Therefore, in 4 ASF, Karrin is a maximum of 33 years old, or a maximum of 31 at the time of "Summer Knight."
In Summer Knight (2 ASF), Murphy's first husband's obituary states he was 41 years old.  Therefore, there is a minimum of ten years' difference between the two of them. 
Murphy herself says she was 17 when she and Gregory Taggart were married.

Now of course, this is assuming the far outside possibilities in age.  It's more likely that there's 10 or 11 years' difference in age between Karrin and Lisa.  The difference can't be too small, as Murphy needs to be old enough to have attained her rank.  With 29 as the upper limit in "Storm Front," I'm guessing 27 as a lower limit.

I'm puzzled as to where I got 13 as the age difference between Karrin and Gregory.  Eleven or twelve is far more likely, though I don't dismiss 13 as a possibility.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2007, 12:00:59 AM »
For those curious, here's the logic that went into the calculation:

In "Blood Rites," we learn that Murphy's youngest sister, Lisa, is a month short of 21.  This book takes place in the late Autumn of 4 ASF.
We know Collin Murphy committed suicide when Karrin was 11, so Karrin can be a maximum of 12 years older than Lisa (in the case that he died before Lisa was born, but after she was conceived).
Therefore, in 4 ASF, Karrin is a maximum of 33 years old, or a maximum of 31 at the time of "Summer Knight."
In Summer Knight (2 ASF), Murphy's first husband's obituary states he was 41 years old.  Therefore, there is a minimum of ten years' difference between the two of them. 
Murphy herself says she was 17 when she and Gregory Taggart were married.

Now of course, this is assuming the far outside possibilities in age.  It's more likely that there's 10 or 11 years' difference in age between Karrin and Lisa.  The difference can't be too small, as Murphy needs to be old enough to have attained her rank.  With 29 as the upper limit in "Storm Front," I'm guessing 27 as a lower limit.

I'm puzzled as to where I got 13 as the age difference between Karrin and Gregory.  Eleven or twelve is far more likely, though I don't dismiss 13 as a possibility.

I worship your mathematical genius! *bow, scrape, repeat*

Offline Wilgar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2007, 02:59:26 AM »
Hi everybody.  I've been lurking around these boards for a while.  You guys were asking about Elaine's last name?  It is mentioned in the Publisher's Weekly review of White Night that her name is Elaine Mallory.  How accurate this is, well, it's anyone's guess.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2007, 05:30:50 AM »
Hi everybody.  I've been lurking around these boards for a while.  You guys were asking about Elaine's last name?  It is mentioned in the Publisher's Weekly review of White Night that her name is Elaine Mallory.  How accurate this is, well, it's anyone's guess.

Yup!  Elaine Lillian Mallory, in fact.

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2007, 07:22:07 PM »
Gots annother math problem for yall---

how old do you think Victor's daughter would be circa WN ?

because if one female apprentice is fun for Harry-- two would be hilarious.
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2007, 08:20:09 PM »
Gots annother math problem for yall---

how old do you think Victor's daughter would be circa WN ?

because if one female apprentice is fun for Harry-- two would be hilarious.

Harry says that magic usually comes from the mother's side.  Seeing as how Monica Sells had no magical talent, I doubt her children will.  And I can't see Harry taking on two apprentices at once!

To answer your question, in SF, the daughter was "on the gawky end of preadolescence" and the son was "perhaps a year or two younger," and WN takes place seven years after Storm Front.  The kids are probably close to the same ages as Molly and Daniel now, maybe a little older.

Offline Belmonte

• Conversationalist
  • O Dei! Lava quod est sordium!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
Where does he say this?  He says in Proven Guilty that it comes down in family lines, but I don't remember any statement that it's matrilinear.
When you ship or slash, God kills a kitten.  You don't want God to kill a kitten, do you?

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2007, 11:58:54 PM »
actually the reason for me asking was i thought there was some inference that the daughter did have ability-- Ill go back and re read

sides..it's not harry with ttwo aprentices.. its bob with two cuties  ;D
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2007, 06:11:34 AM »
Where does he say this?  He says in Proven Guilty that it comes down in family lines, but I don't remember any statement that it's matrilinear.

*coughWhiteNightcough*

Offline Phil Boswell

• Conversationalist
  • I for one welcome my new Feline Overlords…
    • View Profile
    • User:Phil Boswell @ Wikipedia
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2007, 10:20:02 AM »
Having just re-read the "prequel", I was wondering whether we might ever see Faith again...
Phil

Offline tud

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2007, 05:10:45 PM »
Alright, I just had a brain lock..At the cost of seeming really stupid...Who the heck is Victor? Not Kravos..i don't recall any discussion of his children from Grave Peril...This is bugging me because i recall the discription of the children but can't place it...

tud