Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 353836 times)

Offline denelian

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #150 on: May 06, 2008, 09:26:38 PM »
does it say how old Molly is in SmF?
that may set her age back on track... (i would go look, but i lent my copy to my boyfriend's roommate...)
or it may change when the b/day story took place?
don't mind me, i get goofy ideas that i can help and then its never helpful

Offline Malakai Jones

• Conversationalist
  • Ordo Pondera
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2008, 09:41:31 PM »
Priscellie, I never realized what the "timeline chick" meant, but....wow, I'm very very impressed. You've done your home work! Thanks for making them, very cool addition to the boards and understanding the dresdenverse in general.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." Ephesians 6:12

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2008, 09:31:52 PM »
does it say how old Molly is in SmF?
that may set her age back on track... (i would go look, but i lent my copy to my boyfriend's roommate...)
or it may change when the b/day story took place?
don't mind me, i get goofy ideas that i can help and then its never helpful

Her age isn't given in SmF, but in "It's My Birthday Too," she's "just out of her teens," which only works with the WN "missing year" chronology.  If we go by DM/PG chronology, she should be 19.  At least he's consistent about his error. :D

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Side of the Force
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2008, 11:41:21 AM »
The Timeline is as much benefit to JB as it is to us  ;D
Quote from: Shecky
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2008, 12:31:54 AM »
Hey, I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I think I can get an approximation of the founding of the Knights of the Cross, or at the very least the forging of Amoracchius.

"A" is a broadword, and is the only one of the Three that has not been modified, meaning it's always been a broadsword. broadswords were developed and used as early as 1000 A.D., so unless it was the progenitor of all broadswords, Amorrachius (and possibly the Knights) is no older than a millenia (+/-)
It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning. It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
"A" is a broadword, and is the only one of the Three that has not been modified, meaning it's always been a broadsword. broadswords were developed and used as early as 1000 A.D., so unless it was the progenitor of all broadswords, Amorrachius (and possibly the Knights) is no older than a millenia (+/-)

Doesn't work if it's Excalibur, though; Annales Cambriae records Arthur's reign as 519 - 537 [ Badon to Camlann ]. Though Gildas records Badon as 570, the year of Gildas' own birth; there is some flex there, but not five centuries.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:05:38 PM by neurovore »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline AverageGuy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2008, 07:43:10 AM »
Doesn't work if it's Excalibur, though; Annales Cambriae records Arthur's reign as 519 - 537 [ Badon to Camlann ]. Though Gildas records Badon as 570, the year of Gildas' own birth; there is some flex there, but not five centuries.
Wait - do the Annales Cambriae actually refer to Arthur as a king?
DV AverageGuy v.1.2 YR8 FR7 BK++ RP- JB- TH+ WG+ CL+ (Lich) SW BC MC+++++ SH[Murphy+++, Lara--/+]

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2008, 04:30:49 PM »
Wait - do the Annales Cambriae actually refer to Arthur as a king?

I have not got the actual text to hand, but IIRC it refers to Arthur fighting for three days and nights at Badon, to Arthur and Medraut(Mordred) dying at Camlann, and to Merlin going mad at Arderit, which is a location with more variant spellings than I care to count.

Also, I checked, and I was misremembering about Gildas; he notes that he was born in the year of Badon and he died in 570, which makes him more in keeping with the record in Annales Cambriae than I thought. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:33:28 PM by neurovore »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline norman

• Conversationalist
  • All Hail the Pizza Lord!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2008, 05:43:44 PM »
Her age isn't given in SmF, but in "It's My Birthday Too," she's "just out of her teens," which only works with the WN "missing year" chronology.  If we go by DM/PG chronology, she should be 19.  At least he's consistent about his error. :D

Maybe it is not an error, we know she was taken in PG, but do we know how long she was gone int he Nevernever?  Does time there work at the same rate as the rest of the Dresdenverse?

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #159 on: July 26, 2008, 06:39:12 AM »
Maybe it is not an error, we know she was taken in PG, but do we know how long she was gone int he Nevernever?  Does time there work at the same rate as the rest of the Dresdenverse?

It's certainly a possibility, but... I think we would have found out if she was in Arctis Tor an entire year!  Or even the 2+ months, which would be enough time for Molly to have the two birthdays. 

Offline Dresdeniscool

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 29, 2008, 07:27:58 PM »
You have WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS!!

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2008, 07:39:12 PM »
You have WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS!!

Yes.  Yes, I do.  And this is why I'm a beta. :D

Offline Uilos

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2008, 07:51:14 PM »

don't sell yourself short Pris, to me and the guys you're a top class Alpha

-this message was paid for by the "Give Uilos an Appointment with Jim Butcher" Campaign-

just joking, you're awesome :D

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2008, 07:55:17 PM »
So, if we have lots of time we can be betas?

*clears calendar for next 10 years*

:P

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 29, 2008, 08:33:52 PM »
It's certainly a possibility, but... I think we would have found out if she was in Arctis Tor an entire year!  Or even the 2+ months, which would be enough time for Molly to have the two birthdays. 

What I thought was odd about Molly and Arctis Tor is she says she has no memory of events from about (I am guessing) from her getting jumped at the Carpenter House to Harry and company saving her from the evil Fetches. What happened during that time? There may have been time travel or time dialation. Murphy lost a day at Arctis Tor. I think Molly is speeding up time for herself so she will be 21 sooner and old enough to drink.