Author Topic: The SPOILERIFIC Ask Robert Wolfe Thread-The Series, in General  (Read 126435 times)

Offline Ruadh

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The SPOILERIFIC Ask Robert Wolfe Thread
« Reply #135 on: February 02, 2007, 06:15:55 PM »
I'd like to know if the 'steady cam' gets more 'steady' in later episodes, b/c it was rather wobbly in these first two.  I understand a little bit of sway, unless more is intentional (ala Joss Whedon in "The Body" from BtVS), but this was like the cameraman was standing on the deck of a ship on less-than-calm water.  It was almost distracting.

I'm going to have to go back and watch the tape, 'cause I didn't notice it at all - I guess I was too involved in the story!

Offline Hazelip

• Conversationalist
  • I was born at a very early age...
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2007, 01:40:43 PM »
That's not a steadycam, that's just handheld. ;)
Which is often used for effect...but it's also cheaper, because steadycams cost more...not just the equipment, but the operators, plus there are rules about how long they can be used in a shoot (the gyroscopes and weight have fun with your back), so that affects shooting schedule.
Are these FigRig things a steadycam?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85003946@N00/sets/72157594271718672/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shygantic/tags/figrig/

Note from Mickey: Nope, but it's damn cool.  Steadycams use gyroscopes to steady everything...if you catch a behind-the-scenes of the Shinning (the first film to really use them, and they lend a creepy factor to everything), you'll see them. They were also used as props in Aliens as the smart guns. remove the camerea, add the gun....
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 02:44:20 PM by Mickey Finn »

Offline TedR

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2007, 04:52:29 PM »
Anyone ever consider asking fellow Canadian Jewel Staite to make a guest appearance??

Note from Mickey: In a re-occuring role, maybe? Pretty pwease with pizza on top?

She's on my list of folks I'd like to use eventually if we find a good role for her.  But she's in Vancouver, not Toronto, and she works a lot so the stars would have to align just right.

You're welcome to use any of the actors from Firefly, I won't complain!  That was a great cast.  Adam Baldwin is about the right size for Michael...

Offline alben5k

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2007, 11:10:33 PM »
Doesn't Adam Baldwin have his own TV show right now?

Robert: What's with the middle name in the credits? Are you so all important that you need to tell everyone your full name? Kind of like how people emphasise the "ESQUIRE" in their name to make them sound all important.
I'm kidding, I imagine it has something to do with someone else having the same name, but aren't you affraid a wizard will use your full name against you? Or do you have 2 middle names?

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2007, 07:36:19 PM »

Robert: What's with the middle name in the credits? Are you so all important that you need to tell everyone your full name? Kind of like how people emphasise the "ESQUIRE" in their name to make them sound all important.
I'm kidding, I imagine it has something to do with someone else having the same name, but aren't you affraid a wizard will use your full name against you? Or do you have 2 middle names?

There was a Robert Wolfe who worked on DYNASTY, actually.  I think he was even credited as Robert H. Wolfe, freakishly enough.  And there's also the NY Times Crossword puzzle guy.  I could drop the middle name on my credits since I'm probably the most prominent Robert Wolfe working in the biz right now, but I'm just used to using my middle name as well now.  If I ever get one of my features made, I'll probably drop the middle name just to add confusion.

And I was raised Catholic, so I have a confirmation name, too.  Which makes me wizard proof.  =P

Offline whoknowswhy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2007, 08:45:28 PM »
You possess not an uncommon name, evidently. I've been recruited by the dreadedhighschoolreunion committee and was thumbing through an old yearbook.  Turns out I went to school with a Robert Wolfe (Class of '82). He was Catholic, too, as I recall.  But he went by "Bobby" and he's in prison now.  :o
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 01:06:57 AM by whoknowswhy »
Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission.

Offline bobtheskull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2007, 10:04:44 PM »

He's probably safe from wizards using his name against him.  They would have to know exactly how he pronounces his name.  He's only at risk if a wizard pretends to be a secretary for IMDB and asks him to state his full name.  Or, if he has to be a witness in court in front of a roomful of wizards that want to end the show.

It might not even be his real name.  After all, actors have stage names.  Why can't the people who make shows?

No, his name is probably safe.  Where he's really at risk is from sending out snippets of his hair to all those fans.  Not from a magical attack, but from going bald.

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2007, 01:00:20 AM »
Robert, what exactly are the responsibilities of your Wizard Consultant on the series? What are her credentials?  ???
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

Offline Lady Geektastic

• Conversationalist
  • Me. In make-up and sepia.
    • View Profile
    • Random Acts of Cod
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2007, 01:31:35 AM »
This has probably been asked before, by my brain is blanking, so I'll ask:

Is Lasciel going to be popping into Harry's head at any point?

Thanks for everything Robert!!!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 01:42:27 AM by Marie James »
Some people are like slinkies. They're basically useless, yet you still can't help but smile as you shove them down the stairs.

Offline Guardian 452

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2007, 04:25:11 AM »

There was a Robert Wolfe who worked on DYNASTY, actually.  I think he was even credited as Robert H. Wolfe, freakishly enough.  And there's also the NY Times Crossword puzzle guy.  I could drop the middle name on my credits since I'm probably the most prominent Robert Wolfe working in the biz right now, but I'm just used to using my middle name as well now.  If I ever get one of my features made, I'll probably drop the middle name just to add confusion.

And I was raised Catholic, so I have a confirmation name, too.  Which makes me wizard proof.  =P

Jokes aside, I assume everyone knows the rules regarding names and credits?  Robert, I hope you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall the union rules mean that there can only be one of any given name used at a time.  Using Robert as an example, the fact that there are others with the same name who work in the industry means the name was taken.  This is also why so many actors (David Hyde Pierce comes to mind) use three names, or even 2 names and middle initials.  If you're old enough to remember Jm J. Bullock, he once explained the story behind his name.  His actual name (Jim) was taken...there was a Jim Bullock, and his father (also in the industry) used Jim J. Bullock.  Hence his decision to drop the vowel in his "stage name".

Once again, keeper of useless information,

Keith :)

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2007, 12:12:43 AM »
Another question that popped up when reviewing Birds of a Feather. In the opening scene, Laura states that she feels "strangely rested, despite the lack of sleep". Are we to assume that sex with Harry is rejuvenative?   ::)
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

Offline whoknowswhy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2007, 12:39:33 AM »
Another question that popped up when reviewing Birds of a Feather. In the opening scene, Laura states that she feels "strangely rested, despite the lack of sleep". Are we to assume that sex with Harry is rejuvenative?   ::)

Interesting question. I hadn't thought of that.  I just thought we were supposed to assume that Harry has a lot of....stamina.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 12:41:19 AM by whoknowswhy »
Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission.

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2007, 12:48:32 AM »

Well, good sex is. ;)

REALLLLY good sex is, but damages property.*

*Reading YOU SUCK: A Love Story by Chris Moore right now. Sorry.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Machaut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2007, 12:57:49 AM »

Well, good sex is. ;)

REALLLLY good sex is, but damages property.*

*Reading YOU SUCK: A Love Story by Chris Moore right now. Sorry.
OMG.  I didn't know it was out...  how is it?  Fiends is one of my favorites (after Coyote Blue) :)

Replying in here to not derail the thread. It's very good...highly reccomend Moore to Butcher fans, especially A Dirty Job, The Stupidest Angel, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, and Coyote Blue. They're a different tone, but the snark is turned way up to 11. Putting Jim, Chris, Max Barry, Steven Brust, Bob Asprin, Robert Wolfe, and John Steakley in a free form panel for 3 hours would just be...interesting. Snarkadelic. -Mickey
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 03:00:52 AM by Mickey Finn »

Offline Highlander_II

• Conversationalist
  • There can be only one!
    • View Profile
    • Highlander II's Medium-sized Kingdom
« Reply #149 on: February 08, 2007, 01:28:26 AM »
That's not a steadycam, that's just handheld. ;)
Which is often used for effect...but it's also cheaper, because steadycams cost more...not just the equipment, but the operators, plus there are rules about how long they can be used in a shoot (the gyroscopes and weight have fun with your back), so that affects shooting schedule.

ack - got my steady-cam and hand-held mixed up - either way - it was still too wobbly... effect is one thing, but when it looks like the camera's had a little too much to drink, it's not an effect anymore....