Author Topic: The SPOILERIFIC Ask Robert Wolfe Thread-The Series, in General  (Read 126372 times)

Offline Crosstrader

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: The SPOILERIFIC Ask Robert Wolfe Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2007, 05:21:11 PM »
Are all the scenes with Justin in "Birds of a Feather" flashbacks?

Nope.  He's outside the church watching the Doom Box go off.

Wow!  I completely missed picking up on that, and I've watched the episode twice.  :o Thanks for clearing that up for me Robert.  It also explains why the skinwalker's employer didn't want Harry killed (assuming that Justin is that employer).  It would seem Harry's uncle hasn't quite given up on pulling him into his plans. I can't wait to see what he is up to.

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2007, 06:24:36 PM »
(For those wondering the answer of how the numbers were, the press release is on this thread: http://www.jim-butcher.com/bb/index.php/topic,293.150.html )

(They were good.)
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2007, 06:43:59 PM »
Robert...in the books, Harry tends to use words to focus his magic, like Forzare and FlambegoFlicim Bicus ...will we see any of that, or was that tossed aside due to non-book readers not being able to tell that he's perverting using latin?

Will those type of spells even be in the series, or is that what you meant when you said there will be less magic being tossed around?

And do we ever get to hear Blackthorne deliver the infamous line "Stupid latin correspondence course...?"

Because I have a sneaking feeling he'd nail it.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline kimluvs2read

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2007, 06:45:45 PM »
Oh yeah I think he would nail it right on the head!
very respectfully,
Kim :)

Offline whoknowswhy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2007, 07:00:53 PM »
Oh...please let him say that line!! 
Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission.

Offline NightHawk

• Conversationalist
  • I Hate Happy People In The Morning
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2007, 01:31:27 AM »
When do we get to see Harry's Office? Hope it is on the second floor, because it will mess up the scenes with the Scorpion if it isn't

Harry's apartment is suppose to be in a basement and his lab is in his subbasement, how do people right off the street in to his apartment? There are streets leading down to his apartment so he can't see down there right away. Going to be hard for Harry not to spot the vampires waiting to ambush him it they are on street level standing in front of his glass doors.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 01:33:18 AM by NightHawk »
Goddess of The Night
House-Ravenclaw; You Can't Take The Sky Away From Me; The Doctor's Next Companion; Use A Smile As Your Umbrella And You Will Get Your Dumb *** Wet

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2007, 01:39:04 AM »
When do we get to see Harry's Office? Hope it is on the second floor, because it will mess up the scenes with the Scorpion if it isn't

Harry's apartment is suppose to be in a basement and his lab is in his subbasement, how do people right off the street in to his apartment? There are streets leading down to his apartment so he can't see down there right away. Going to be hard for Harry not to spot the vampires waiting to ambush him it they are on street level standing in front of his glass doors.

Who's to say they even kept the scorpion?  It's a one-hour adaptation of a 300+ page book.  Things will be different, I assure you.  And think of the budget!  Do you have any idea how much a giant scorpion attack and elevator-demolition scene would cost? 

We saw Harry's office door in the promos, and it's right on the street.  Yet somehow, the world continues to turn.

Offline NightHawk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2007, 01:45:09 AM »
That's not his office that is his apartment, remember he comes up from the basement when he is asking Bob about his keys and goes out the double glass doors, we have not seen his office unless he is using his apartment as both and that is dangerous.
Goddess of The Night
House-Ravenclaw; You Can't Take The Sky Away From Me; The Doctor's Next Companion; Use A Smile As Your Umbrella And You Will Get Your Dumb *** Wet

Offline NightHawk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2007, 01:46:59 AM »
Mr. Wolfe please satisfy our courosity(sp), when Harry corners the raven guy in the church does he say you are protecting the boy "For" or "From" the council?
Goddess of The Night

Offline bobtheskull

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2007, 02:18:52 AM »
Only one real question:

Will Harry be doing more magic in later episodes?  As a poster on another thread put it, the first ep needed more "earth-shattering ka-boom" :)

Yep, more, but never as much as in the books.  Creatively, the TV show will be less magic heavy than the books, a little closer to our world.  So Murphy is just a detective, there's no SI department that knows about and investigates supernatural cases.  Dresden works magic more reluctantly, and it costs him more physically.  Magic is hard. 

That's not to say we don't have some pretty big magical moments coming up, just don't expect any buildings to blow up this season.  Unless they do.

Erk.  I can't say I'm not disappointed.  I'm not disturbed about lack of exploding buildings, but about Harry and magic.

He's supposed to LIKE magic.  He's supposed to putter around with it as a hobby, and make potions that might come in handy.  He's supposed to have pamphlets in his front office explaining magic and how it's not evil.

Please don't turn him into the reluctant wizard.

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2007, 04:03:28 AM »
That's not his office that is his apartment, remember he comes up from the basement when he is asking Bob about his keys and goes out the double glass doors, we have not seen his office unless he is using his apartment as both and that is dangerous.

Priscellie mentioned that it was in the promos (of which there were at least 20), not that it was in the episode.  Here is an image of his office door.  I mirrored it so we could read it properly (which is why the writing on the squad is backwards).

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2007, 04:29:20 AM »
Mr. Wolfe please satisfy our courosity(sp), when Harry corners the raven guy in the church does he say you are protecting the boy "For" or "From" the council?

For the Council.  Ravens were working for them.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2007, 04:34:26 AM »
What are the powers of the Ravenmen?

Uh, like 4d8+4 HPs?  Sword attack?  Transform into Ravens or people or something in between.  Flight at like 60"  AC 15ish?  I don't have my Oriental Adventures handy.  Some check the entry for Tengu for me.

The boss Raven Man probably had a few wizard levels too.

What was Melissa? Was she the Archive, but instead of all the world's knowledge she just had access to all the Council's records?

Melissa was a records keeper for the High Council.  A middle class type operator with limited abilities.  She could access the Council records from anywhere with a thought.  Pretty much a one trick pony.

How well off is Harry? He seemed to have a lot of expensive stuff arounf his apartment.

At one time, Harry fell into a fair amount of money.  He doesn't have it anymore.  But he still has some nice stuff left over from when he did.  All will be explained.  Patience.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2007, 04:34:49 AM »
Me again...

Hey Robert...I was wondering, what is the standpoint on transcripts of the episodes?  Currently it's just for my personal use, but would there be copywrite issues if I'm including 'written by, directed by, produced by' and all that?  If so, I will definitely keep it to myself, but if it's ok, I'll share it.

Also, "Aztec, WHAT, Mayan"  and "Give it to me!  Then you can WHAT"  the first one sounds like Calmec and the second one sounds like transfer or trespass (which makes no sense).  Neither of these lines were captioned (or captioned correctly).

Help would be wonderful.

Probably Olmec. I might be able to help with the other if I get some context.

Si, Olmec.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 05:19:07 PM by Robert Wolfe »

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2007, 04:35:38 AM »
Robert, did Harry actually trigger the doombox when he whispered, "Pop goes the weasel," at the end?

Yes.  That's what he set as the trigger phrase.