Author Topic: The SPOILERIFIC Ask Robert Wolfe Thread-The Series, in General  (Read 124163 times)

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
Re: The SPOILERIFIC Ask Robert Wolfe Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2007, 07:24:10 AM »
What are your thoughts on the reviews claiming the show is trying to be a post Whedonesk series or needs to be? I personally think the show is finding its own indentity regardless of the bar Buffy and Angel added to the whole laugh in the face of evil and then go cry to mamma when you've defeated it storylines. Before anyone gets insulted by the previous comment, I loved both shows. I just can't express myself without coming off as an ass.

We're not trying to immitate anyone.  As much as I like Joss' stuff, we want to find our own voice.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2007, 07:25:14 AM »
Hey Robert, I'm towards the end of transcribing the episode (for my own purposes, and if people want correct quotes), and I'm using the wonderful technology of closed captions.  I noticed in several areas (specifically the Harry Voice Over spots), that the actual dialog and the captions are COMPLETELY different.  Was the dialog changed after the caption agency went through?  And when it comes time for a DVD release, are the subtitles going to be correct?

We did make some last minute VO changes, which probably were done too late for the CC folks.  Which versions did you like better?   :P

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2007, 07:25:59 AM »
Was doombox supposed to be a pun on boombox?

If it was, does that mean we can look forward to the CDoom Player and iDoom?

Oh yes.  iDoom.  I wants one!

Offline Willowhugger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The United Federation of Charles
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2007, 07:47:01 AM »
Another question.

Is the Doombox enchanted to make people want to open it? I figured it was since Bob is implying its a pretty hideous device.

Sort of like a handgrenade that's got a "Pull Pin for a fun surprise" on it but re-usable.

Will we ever see this magic again?
Check out my blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @Willowhugger

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2007, 09:02:31 AM »
Robert,

Something that hasn't been talked about, but is one of the main reasons things have been changed is the budget. You have to stay below a certain amount for each episode. Hense, the lower level of magic being tossed around, using Bob as a actor instead of a talking skull, the jeep instead of the Beetle, ect.

Maybe you could expand on the budget side of things somewhat. Not in detail, but in general. Maybe explain how the money needs to be spent and why Harry can't be slinging spells every five minutes.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2007, 01:11:27 PM »
Hey Robert, I'm towards the end of transcribing the episode (for my own purposes, and if people want correct quotes), and I'm using the wonderful technology of closed captions.  I noticed in several areas (specifically the Harry Voice Over spots), that the actual dialog and the captions are COMPLETELY different.  Was the dialog changed after the caption agency went through?  And when it comes time for a DVD release, are the subtitles going to be correct?

We did make some last minute VO changes, which probably were done too late for the CC folks.  Which versions did you like better?   :P

Well, other than it being really confusing while I'm trying to write the dialog quickly...both versions were good, maybe a melding of the two.  I think it wouldn't have felt so rushed if people heard Harry lamenting over the case a little. (though you were right to change some of it, because what was changed did seem a bit repetative).

Offline Ruadh

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2007, 03:03:09 PM »
  The mix sounded pretty damn good both in person and on transfer (and on SPACE here in TO).  I'll check and see what's what.

I agree Robert. I had no problem hearing the dialogue as it aired on SPACE. Perhaps there was a local problem in some parts of the States?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 03:05:11 PM by Ruadh »

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2007, 08:07:29 PM »
Robert, did Harry actually trigger the doombox when he whispered, "Pop goes the weasel," at the end?
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

Offline Abstruse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2007, 08:49:27 PM »
It's a Sci-Fi Channel thing, not just a Dresden Files thing.  Depending on your stereo set-up, your results may vary.  I find it easier to understand the dialog using the built-in speakers on my crappy 16 year old TV than on my parents' 64" HDTV and 5.1 Dolby DTS digital super-badass surround house vibration machine.

The Abstruse One
Darryl Mott Jr.

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2007, 08:59:36 PM »
Despite the apparent audio issues, can I please go to your parents to watch episode 2?  :D

Offline SewrRatt

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2007, 03:30:03 AM »
Mr. Wolfe, how much input were you given regarding the episodes being shown out of order? What percentage are you okay with it? And where do I go to see what order the episodes should be in?

If only Sci-Fi had learned from Firefly.

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2007, 04:13:40 AM »
Me again...

Hey Robert...I was wondering, what is the standpoint on transcripts of the episodes?  Currently it's just for my personal use, but would there be copywrite issues if I'm including 'written by, directed by, produced by' and all that?  If so, I will definitely keep it to myself, but if it's ok, I'll share it.

Also, "Aztec, WHAT, Mayan"  and "Give it to me!  Then you can WHAT"  the first one sounds like Calmec and the second one sounds like transfer or trespass (which makes no sense).  Neither of these lines were captioned (or captioned correctly).

Help would be wonderful.

Offline SewrRatt

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2007, 05:54:52 AM »
Me again...

Hey Robert...I was wondering, what is the standpoint on transcripts of the episodes?  Currently it's just for my personal use, but would there be copywrite issues if I'm including 'written by, directed by, produced by' and all that?  If so, I will definitely keep it to myself, but if it's ok, I'll share it.

Also, "Aztec, WHAT, Mayan"  and "Give it to me!  Then you can WHAT"  the first one sounds like Calmec and the second one sounds like transfer or trespass (which makes no sense).  Neither of these lines were captioned (or captioned correctly).

Help would be wonderful.
Probably Olmec. I might be able to help with the other if I get some context.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2007, 06:00:11 AM »
Me again...

Help would be wonderful.
Probably Olmec. I might be able to help with the other if I get some context.

I'm hearing Olmec as well.  And the second line is definitely "Give it to me! Then you get your answers."  (SHIGGY IS MY TRANSCRIPT HERO!)

Offline GnosisRoads

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2007, 06:36:18 AM »
What are the powers of the Ravenmen? What was Melissa? Was she the Archive, but instead of all the world's knowledge she just had access to all the Council's records? How well off is Harry? He seemed to have a lot of expensive stuff arounf his apartment.