Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1103032 times)

Offline sjmcc13

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #1155 on: July 17, 2010, 03:27:07 AM »
Dude, I can swing with this. Just make him grow his hair out, and get him some Just For Men Touch Of Grey for when he does :D
Nah, Morgan is suppose to be old enough that he has a few grey hairs. Though longer hair would be good.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1156 on: July 17, 2010, 04:42:47 AM »
i can totaly see this

Seriously, his eyes always freaked me out. They're, like.... dead. Like Clay Aiken's eyes. It's creepy. *shudders*
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1157 on: July 17, 2010, 04:47:11 AM »
Nah, Morgan is suppose to be old enough that he has a few grey hairs. Though longer hair would be good.

That's why I said Just for Men: Touch Of Grey. It lets men who are going grey actually keep a majority of the gray color while giving them back some of their natural color :) Morgan was, what? 145 or so? That translates to somewhere around 50 to 60 years of age in normal Vanilla Mortal years? Yeah, he'd be right at the point of going grey, but with still enough color in his hair to make it obvious that he's not THAT over the hill :)
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1158 on: July 17, 2010, 12:39:27 PM »

This is old news, but man, I like Jim's choice of Clancy Brown to play Morgan. He's like 6'3, and has the voice for the role and everything.

I keep imagining morgan to be a little more... stern looking.

YES, Keanu Reeves would be creepily perfect for martin. Who scares me, btw. both of them do.
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 17, 2010, 12:45:26 PM »

You ever see the first Highlander movie? The Kurgan?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1160 on: July 17, 2010, 12:50:46 PM »
You ever see the first Highlander movie? The Kurgan?

nope!
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 17, 2010, 01:38:04 PM »
Aw, yes.

I can see it.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1162 on: July 17, 2010, 01:58:59 PM »

YES, Keanu Reeves would be creepily perfect for martin. Who scares me, btw. both of them do.

Dude, just look at his eyes and imagine him without the slight smile on his face. He's freaking perfect. And scary.

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1163 on: July 17, 2010, 03:19:10 PM »

...I See it now.

yes, yes he would be perfect.

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 17, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »
Several writers do get to chose the actors they would like to associate with the film and they do have to usually approve of the script that is written. It is also up with them to colloborate with the director/producer if they want too, which often saves the movie from being crap.

What it really comes down to, I think, is how much fan based pull has the author got in the marketplace and how big the author's negotiating lawyers cajones are.

Bottom line, if creative control is that important to the author, they will say NO to signing away their rights to consult on choosing the actors. They may not get the final say, but they CAN retain the right to fight for the authenticity of their conceptualization. (big words for pick they guy they imagined playing the role when they wrote it, I know...  ::))
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1165 on: July 17, 2010, 03:50:18 PM »
What it really comes down to, I think, is how much fan based pull has the author got in the marketplace and how big the author's negotiating lawyers cajones are.

Bottom line, if creative control is that important to the author, they will say NO to signing away their rights to consult on choosing the actors. They may not get the final say, but they CAN retain the right to fight for the authenticity of their conceptualization. (big words for pick they guy they imagined playing the role when they wrote it, I know...  ::))

wouldn't it be lucky if the producer/director is a huge fan of the books, is a good friend of the author and is willing to give leeway for the author's requests when it comes to the actors and the production and the like?

Offline jadis402010

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: July 18, 2010, 06:50:53 PM »
I think I'm going to have to change my vote for Harry from Clive Owen to Alexis Denisof...didn't recognize the name until I saw his picture...I can completely see Wesley from BtVS and Angel, especially season 5 Angel, as Harry. One question though, I'm not sure it's ever explicitly stated in the books, but how old is Harry, especially in Storm Front? In my mind I'm thinking maybe early to mid-30's? So, you may need someone younger.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:59:20 PM by jadis402010 »

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: July 18, 2010, 07:21:34 PM »
Keanu used to amuse me, i mean he wasnt ever a good actor but after the whole "I am the one" scene, i could never trinity serious again...ever.
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1168 on: July 18, 2010, 08:38:03 PM »
I think I'm going to have to change my vote for Harry from Clive Owen to Alexis Denisof...didn't recognize the name until I saw his picture...I can completely see Wesley from BtVS and Angel, especially season 5 Angel, as Harry. One question though, I'm not sure it's ever explicitly stated in the books, but how old is Harry, especially in Storm Front? In my mind I'm thinking maybe early to mid-30's? So, you may need someone younger.

At the beginning of Storm Front, Jim says that Harry is in his mid-20s, so anywhere between the back end of the 24 to 27 spectrum. Jim also says that Harry is a year younger than him [Jim, that is] in Changes. Jim's birthyear is 1971 which makes him 39, so Harry's 38 :)

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Bluebeard

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 18, 2010, 08:39:52 PM »
I saw Inception, today.

I was a little skeptical of Ellen Page playing Molly, but now I think she pull it off. There are a lot of problems with that though. She doesn't fit the description of Molly, albeit better then Fanning, and would be too old to grow with the role.