Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1113965 times)

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #1080 on: July 13, 2010, 03:00:39 PM »

Description of Butters:
From Dead Beat:

"Screw up my life?" He stared a me for a second and then said, deadpan, "I'm a five-foot-three, thirty-seven-year-old, single, Jewish medical examiner who needs to pick up his lederhosen from the dry cleaners so that he can play in a one-man polka band at Oktoberfest tomorrow." He pushed up his glasses with his forefinger, folded his arms, and said, "Do your worst."

From White Night:

Butters was an odd little duck. He wasn’t much taller than Murphy, and she probably had more muscle than he did. His shock of black hair resembled nothing so much as an explosion in a steel wool factory. He was all knees and elbows, especially in the surgical greens he was wearing, his face was lean and angular, his nose beaky, and his eyes were bright behind the prescription glasses.

You won me over :) Unless there's someone much more suitable for the role that comes along, Justin Long has my vote for Butters!
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1081 on: July 13, 2010, 03:05:33 PM »
my butters would be Zach Galinifianakis, but man don't look like him (he's my mental image, tho).

I vote TJ Thyne!
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: July 13, 2010, 03:20:58 PM »
my butters would be Zach Galinifianakis, but man don't look like him (he's my mental image, tho).

I vote TJ Thyne!
This is Waldo Butters in the TV show (on the right).

This is Zach Galifianakis in Tru Calling.

This is probably why people see Zach as Butters.

IMO Zach is way too funny, and not tweeky enough to be the Butters from the books.

I don't think TJ Thyne fits either. Too masculine. TJ Thyne to me is more of a......Michael type character probably, I mean because of his build, I don't know about the attitude though.
But people (or person) choose him for Butters too, because he plays a forensics guy on Bones.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 04:00:38 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1083 on: July 13, 2010, 03:23:54 PM »
I don't think TJ Thyne fits either. Too masculine.

thin him up T.T I still vote TJ Thyne. :p
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: July 13, 2010, 03:27:39 PM »
 ???
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:50:06 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1085 on: July 13, 2010, 03:29:29 PM »
actually, my reason for thinking Zach for butters is because of Tru Calling. saw that dude with Tru in there and just thought immediately: BUTTERS!... so yeah

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: July 13, 2010, 03:31:42 PM »
I mean I can see the reasons why you would choose them, I just think Justin Long fits better than both of them.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 04:03:50 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1087 on: July 13, 2010, 03:52:43 PM »
But people (or person) choose him for Butters too, because he plays a forensics guy on Bones.

yeah, actually, it's mostly that for me. I loved him in bones. he got the attitude down in bones, though, I thought.  :)

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1088 on: July 13, 2010, 04:04:46 PM »
But...

Don't you guys think that T.J. is a little too hot to portray Butters? I'm not saying Butters is ugly or anything, but based on how he talks about himself, he doesn't think he's any hot shit. And T.J.'s ridiculously good-looking, and knows it to boot. I don't know if I could buy T.J. talking himself down as Butters :-\
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline miketh

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: July 13, 2010, 04:14:30 PM »
Dude, just tell me what you want and I'll help :)

Are you still gonna continue the After The Funeral fic? I need something to tide me over until Aftermath, and it was doing a real good job of that!

Yeah, I'm going to continue Funeral (when not working on my novel) gradually between now and Ghost Story.  I'm excited to see the similarities between the two :)

As for the script, I'm thinking of doing things a bit 'out of order' - my ideal Dresden Files series would skip around in the order of the case files, to offer as comprehensive a look at the supernatural world as possible while highlighting the trials and tribulations of Harry and friends.  I'd probably skip over Storm Front, as, while a GREAT introductory novel, I don't think that it's got enough of a "hook" to it to succeed financially on a large scale.  I think that going straight into Fool Moon and working from there would be a better option, leaving the hints and jabs towards Storm Front as a sort of "Noodle Incident" to pique the viewer's interest for when it is eventually made (later in the series, as a prologue to the rest of the stories).

To that end, I aim to brush up on scriptwriting and the like in the near future before beginning work on a fan's version of it :) I've got some great ideas for a film version of "Fool Moon", and if anyone wants to discuss further outside of this Topic, feel free to drop me a PM.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: July 13, 2010, 04:18:33 PM »
But...

Don't you guys think that T.J. is a little too hot to portray Butters? I'm not saying Butters is ugly or anything, but based on how he talks about himself, he doesn't think he's any hot shit. And T.J.'s ridiculously good-looking, and knows it to boot. I don't know if I could buy T.J. talking himself down as Butters :-\

Bam!  :o

That's you hitting the nail on the head. That's what I was trying to say, ridiculously good looking for Butters.

I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. ~ Derek Zoolander

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 04:26:14 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1091 on: July 13, 2010, 04:28:20 PM »
Bam!  :o

That's you hitting the nail on the head. That's what I was trying to say, ridiculously good looking for Butters.

I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. ~ Derek Zoolander

Hee! :)

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1092 on: July 13, 2010, 04:35:19 PM »
Yeah, I'm going to continue Funeral (when not working on my novel) gradually between now and Ghost Story.  I'm excited to see the similarities between the two :)

As for the script, I'm thinking of doing things a bit 'out of order' - my ideal Dresden Files series would skip around in the order of the case files, to offer as comprehensive a look at the supernatural world as possible while highlighting the trials and tribulations of Harry and friends.  I'd probably skip over Storm Front, as, while a GREAT introductory novel, I don't think that it's got enough of a "hook" to it to succeed financially on a large scale.  I think that going straight into Fool Moon and working from there would be a better option, leaving the hints and jabs towards Storm Front as a sort of "Noodle Incident" to pique the viewer's interest for when it is eventually made (later in the series, as a prologue to the rest of the stories).

To that end, I aim to brush up on scriptwriting and the like in the near future before beginning work on a fan's version of it :) I've got some great ideas for a film version of "Fool Moon", and if anyone wants to discuss further outside of this Topic, feel free to drop me a PM.

I take it you mean that, during Fool Moon and the other case files, you would flash back to Storm Front the way Harry flashes back to the night DuMorne tried to kill him, and to what happened at Camp Kaboom with the twins? That might work, but I personally always liked Storm Front. It's not the first book of the series that I read (I did read them out of order -- Blood Rites was the first book I touched, and thus why it's my favorite), but I think flashing back to it in bits and pieces might actually work.

And also, yay for Funeral! .... which is very odd-sounding in retrospect.

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline miketh

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: July 13, 2010, 04:48:31 PM »
I meant that more as the offhand references already in the later books ("That business last spring") would be supplemented with a little more nods in that direction, and such.  Nothing so overt as a flashback - doing such may detract from the story.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: July 13, 2010, 05:54:09 PM »
Mavra = Helena Bonham Carter