Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1103479 times)

Offline godlessgoth

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #1020 on: July 09, 2010, 08:20:44 PM »
John Cusack would make a great Harry Dresden
Tim Blake nelson a good Waldo butters
benicio del toro as Raoul Ortega
Ian McKellen as Arthur Langtry
Emily Deschanel Karen Murphy
antonio banderas - gatekeeper

a few ideas for cast members

Offline Atanvarno

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: July 09, 2010, 08:24:18 PM »
This is Reginald Vel Johnson, whose face is always in my mind when I imagine what Rawlins looks like
Mine, too! It's either him or Mark Christopher Lawrence ("Big Mike" from Chuck.)

Offline Bluebeard

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: July 09, 2010, 08:27:32 PM »

Remember this guy? (The older one, not the younger one.)

If you said Carl Winslow from Family Matters, you're right. This is Reginald Vel Johnson, whose face is always in my mind when I imagine what Rawlins looks like :)

He looks exactly how I picture Rawlins!  :D

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: July 09, 2010, 08:41:38 PM »
John Cusack would make a great Harry Dresden
Tim Blake nelson a good Waldo butters
benicio del toro as Raoul Ortega
Ian McKellen as Arthur Langtry
Emily Deschanel Karen Murphy
antonio banderas - gatekeeper

a few ideas for cast members

John Cusack.....I like him but he definitely could not pull off Harry. His humor is too dry.

Tim Blake Nelson for Butters. Good choice. But I now think Justin Long, since everyone said my idea of Steve Buscemi and Paul Reubens were both too old.

Benicio Del Toro as Don Paolo Ortega. Yes.

Ian McKellen as Arthur Langtry. I thought so too, but many people thought it was too cliche, because Gandolf.

Emily Deschanel as Karrin Murphy. That could work, I don't know her work that well though.

Antonio Banderas as Rashid/The Gatekeeper....eh, Rashid is suppose to be middle eastern so my pick is Oded Fehr even though he is only 40ish, but it's easy to make people look older.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:52:38 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1024 on: July 09, 2010, 09:13:22 PM »
So I've been keeping my own cast listing, with all the DF characters and who I think should play them... And it's rather pathetically empty, lol. And I'm too lazy to go back through all of my past posts and see who all I've chosen for the majority of roles, but I at least have my top four characters filled out.

Harry -- Alexis Denisof (Thank you, Jim!)
Murphy -- Elisabeth Röhm (the chick in my icon)
Thomas -- Matt Bomer
Molly -- Sammi Hanratty (as younger Molly) and Deborah Ann Woll as 17 to 20-something year old Molly :)

Plus, I have...

Marcone -- Ray Wise
Morgan -- Jean Reno (check out his performance in The da Vinci Code. Eep.)
Rashid -- Shaun Toub
Martha Liberty -- CCH Pounder
Ebenezar -- Jim Beaver (For those of you who watch Supernatural, and love his character Bobby Singer, you KNOW why I chose him as Eb!)
Justine -- Rachel McAdams (I say Rachel as Justine, because she has had a myriad of different performances [translation = she plays bat-shit stinking crazy well], plus Justine is described as 'the girl next door.' I originally wanted Jennifer Garner as Justine, but didn't think that would work too well :-\)
Nicodemus -- Mark Sheppard
Bianca -- Amy Lee
And for some reason, whenever I think of Tessa, I think of Julie Benz, who was so awesome at playing psycho loony bitch Darla on Buffy and Angel.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:36:11 PM by tiny[but]fierce »
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Bluebeard

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: July 09, 2010, 09:16:56 PM »
So I've been keeping my own cast listing, with all the DF characters and who I think should play them... And it's rather pathetically empty, lol. And I'm too lazy to go back through all of my past posts and see who all I've chosen for the majority of roles, but I at least have my top four characters filled out.

Harry -- Alexis Denisof (Thank you, Jim!)
Murphy -- Elisabeth Rohm (the chick in my icon)
Thomas -- Matt Bomer
Molly -- Sammi Hanratty (as younger Molly) and Deborah Ann Woll as 17 to 20-something year old Molly :)

Plus, I have...

Marcone -- Ray Wise
Morgan -- Jean Reno (check out his performance in The da Vinci Code. Eep.)
Rashid -- Shaun Toub
Martha Liberty -- CCH Pounder
Ebenezar -- Jim Beaver
Justine -- Rachel McAdams
Nicodemus -- Mark Sheppard
Bianca -- Amy Lee
And for some reason, whenever I think of Tessa, I think of Julie Benz, who was so awesome at playing psycho loony bitch Darla on Buffy and Angel.

I keep my own list and it is also very empty. I like Elisabeth Rohm as Murphy, Sammi Hanratty as Molly, and YES to Jim Beaver as Ebenezar! Mark Sheppard was like my first suggestion in this topic, lol.

Julie Benz could pull off Tessa, I think, but isn't Tessa described as like a fifteen old girl?

Rohm is too tall, though. She's 5'8.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:20:25 PM by Bluebeard »

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1026 on: July 09, 2010, 09:35:14 PM »
I keep my own list and it is also very empty. I like Elisabeth Rohm as Murphy, Sammi Hanratty as Molly, and YES to Jim Beaver as Ebenezar! Mark Sheppard was like my first suggestion in this topic, lol.

Julie Benz could pull off Tessa, I think, but isn't Tessa described as like a fifteen old girl?

Rohm is too tall, though. She's 5'8.

LOL, it's your fault I'm so set on Mark Sheppard for Nicodemus anyway! :D

And yeah, she is, but how many fifteen year old actresses are you going to find willing to do the things Tessa has done in the books? Plus, did you SEE the first season of Buffy, with Darla skipping around in a freaking Catholic school girl outfit? She passed off as a high school girl in the first episode, at least till she killed the guy she was with, if I remember right.

And my only other choice for Murphy is Sarah Michelle Gellar. She's certainly short enough, lol.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Bluebeard

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 09, 2010, 10:01:14 PM »
LOL, it's your fault I'm so set on Mark Sheppard for Nicodemus anyway! :D

And yeah, she is, but how many fifteen year old actresses are you going to find willing to do the things Tessa has done in the books? Plus, did you SEE the first season of Buffy, with Darla skipping around in a freaking Catholic school girl outfit? She passed off as a high school girl in the first episode, at least till she killed the guy she was with, if I remember right.

And my only other choice for Murphy is Sarah Michelle Gellar. She's certainly short enough, lol.

lol

Hmm, Julie Benz could pull off, definetly, though. Not sure if she could still pass a high schooler, nowadays.

Yeah, SMG, got her whole career started by playing short action girls :P

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1028 on: July 09, 2010, 11:07:51 PM »
lol

Hmm, Julie Benz could pull off, definetly, though. Not sure if she could still pass a high schooler, nowadays.

Yeah, SMG, got her whole career started by playing short action girls :P

Well, there is the magic of make-up and CGI. Especially given that Tessa is Mantis Girl... we're not gonna often see her in her human shape :-\

Well... technically, she got started on a soap opera -- Action Girl came later :) But yeah, anyway, my moniker doesn't just stand for Murphy!

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline godlessgoth

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: July 10, 2010, 12:14:51 AM »
John Cusack.....I like him but he definitely could not pull off Harry. His humor is too dry.

Tim Blake Nelson for Butters. Good choice. But I now think Justin Long, since everyone said my idea of Steve Buscemi and Paul Reubens were both too old.

Benicio Del Toro as Don Paolo Ortega. Yes.

Ian McKellen as Arthur Langtry. I thought so too, but many people thought it was too cliche, because Gandolf.

Emily Deschanel as Karrin Murphy. That could work, I don't know her work that well though.

Antonio Banderas as Rashid/The Gatekeeper....eh, Rashid is suppose to be middle eastern so my pick is Oded Fehr even though he is only 40ish, but it's easy to make people look older.

the guy who played Dean Winchester (Jensen Ackles) for Harry DResden instead. He has smartass humor
I agree about waldo.Justin Long is perfect
i still say Ian
Oded Fehr is a better Rashid
and I am keeping to my guns with Emily if not charlize theron she might make a better Karen but probably a bit too tall
as far as Bob (who won't actually be seen on camera only in voice and computer image.)  I go with James Marsters as the voice.

Offline Bluebeard

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: July 10, 2010, 03:18:23 AM »
Jensen Ackles is WAY too short. :P

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1031 on: July 10, 2010, 02:07:20 PM »
LOL. Jensen is only 6'1".

On the other hand, Jared Padalecki is 6'5", which is a lot closer. Earlier in this thread somewhere, it led me to suggest having Jared play Harry and Jensen play Thomas, especially since there are similar height and age differences between them :) (plus, it'd be kinda fun having Jim Beaver play
(click to show/hide)
, lol :)

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Bluebeard

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: July 10, 2010, 03:47:38 PM »
LOL. Jensen is only 6'1".

On the other hand, Jared Padalecki is 6'5", which is a lot closer. Earlier in this thread somewhere, it led me to suggest having Jared play Harry and Jensen play Thomas, especially since there are similar height and age differences between them :) (plus, it'd be kinda fun having Jim Beaver play
(click to show/hide)
, lol :)

Oh really?

He always look short to me because he's standing by Jared, who is like a giant. :P

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1033 on: July 10, 2010, 04:03:28 PM »
Oh really?

He always look short to me because he's standing by Jared, who is like a giant. :P

http://www.jensenacklesfans.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=810&Itemid=236

This was in an interview he did in '07 :)

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #1034 on: July 10, 2010, 04:08:25 PM »
Toot-toot should be played by Robert Pattinson.

:o >:( Words cannot...  I... >:(  Can I shoot you now?

I just thought of the  words to describe this idea.  HELL! NO!  Toot toot is WAY too cool for you to do that to him!

<-- Just a little bit outraged.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.