Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1103042 times)

Offline Atanvarno

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #885 on: June 30, 2010, 08:07:38 PM »
Well, Nathan Fillion is on the poll; Nathan-as-Captain-Hammer is not.

Also, in my ever so humble opinion, Flanigan isn't a strong enough actor for the role of Harry.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #886 on: June 30, 2010, 11:50:51 PM »
I was kind of being sarcastic, but he would be better than Nathan Fillion.

I am amazed that Nathan Fillion is winning the poll. I just don't see it at all.

That would be because the picture you chose is of the oh-so-smug, full-of-himself Captain Hammer. Take Fillion, imagine him with longer, scruffier looking hair, and a permanent five o'clock shadow.... and make him lose about a hundred pounds.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline jbigelow22

• Participant
  • Bob knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: June 30, 2010, 11:52:08 PM »
With Jaye Mewes as Murphy?

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 01, 2010, 01:03:25 PM »
May we ask how old you are?

I am not sure what that has to do with it, but I am 28.

How old are you?  :P
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 01:10:25 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Sihnon

• Participant
  • Battle School Grad
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: July 01, 2010, 01:10:02 PM »
Now, do get me wrong.  I love Nathan Fillion in everything he's done.  And he would be a great Harry!  And he's such a sci-fi/fantasy fan that I think he would love to do it too.  However, he has always been to me, at least in my head while reading the books, Michael Carpenter.

"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." - Jayne Cobb

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 01, 2010, 01:11:20 PM »
Now, do get me wrong.  I love Nathan Fillion in everything he's done.  And he would be a great Harry!  And he's such a sci-fi/fantasy fan that I think he would love to do it too.  However, he has always been to me, at least in my head while reading the books, Michael Carpenter.

See, now that I could get behind. He totally is how i would picture Michael.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 01, 2010, 01:36:01 PM »
I kind of notice a split when it comes to casting a movie.

I am more of a movie person. I don't watch many TV shows, though I am starting to now.

Anyhow. I notice through the entire thread that there are some that pick TV actors (Bomer and Fillion) over movie actors. IMO TV acting and movie acting are different. I think some actors make that transition well while others not so much.

That's not really saying a whole lot considering this poll because we have for example Quinto who has gone from Heroes to Star Trek movie. Pace from Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies then his main movie role was The Fall which is a weird movie btw. Olyphant has gone from movies to now having his own show Justified. Fillion w/ Firefly to Serenity.
The rest in the poll are pretty much TV only or movie only as far as I can tell.

This however is moot when it come to my first pick for Harry because I would choose Pace who is as much of a movie actor as Fillion.

However, I didn't watch Firefly and I don't watch Castle, I did see Serenity though. Maybe this is why I am no huge fan of seeing Fillion as Harry, plus he doesn't fit the picture in my head.  :P But as I said above he does fit the picture I have of Michael in my head. Apparently Firefly and Castle are huge among the DF fans so I guess I better start watching these to find out what I am missing.

@Shecky
I guess I am too young maybe? or too old? I don't know, still not really sure what my age had to do with anything.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 01:38:31 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #892 on: July 01, 2010, 06:05:06 PM »
Olyphant(42)...lost me at Hitman, and I don't watch Justified.

Watch Justified.  It more than makes up for the travesty that was Hitman.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 01, 2010, 06:37:09 PM »
I am not sure what that has to do with it, but I am 28.

How old are you?  :P

Considerably older. The trend I've noticed is that younger people tend to want younger actors playing Harry.

Unrelatedly, if you never watched "Firefly", you couldn't possibly know why so many people like him for the role of Harry - his character on that show... well, the snark was powerful in that one. He's one of the few who've proven they're capable of handling the snark. Even though he's a long way from looking the part, he could certainly ACT the part.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Tribblechomper

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Photoshoplifter Dan
« Reply #894 on: July 02, 2010, 02:46:30 AM »
Also, DEFINITELY watch Castle
November 15, 2008-A day that will live in infamy...let's hope I'm not in the hospital THIS birthday!!!
Ah done an' went an' gots me a WEBSITE, y'all!!!
www.photoshoplifterdan.com

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: July 02, 2010, 11:09:27 AM »
I honestly don't see Fillion pulling it off, either.  And I did watch Castle, some, before I canceled my service.

If you'll all forgive me, I think part of it at least is that Fillion is the geek hero-of-choice.  There's no denying the man has a strong fanbase of, well, us.  Geeks.  If Bruce Campbell were younger, or if we were discussing this all five or ten years ago, I'd wager he'd be the frontrunner for Harry.  Lots of actors do quippy comedy well, and can stand up to all the green-screening that would be going on.  But the little something extra it takes to make someone Harry isn't necessarily there in either case, in my opinion.

And Shecky, I have to say that I favor someone younger, too, and I'm your age you old coot.  Storm Front Harry should be younger.

Now, I'm happy to see that some people agree Ryan Reynolds can pull it off.  He's got the range, he's got the scruff, he can look way younger or older, he'd just need to debuff (*sob*) and maybe dye the hair.  My FIRST CHOICE is, was, and remains, Paul Blackthorne.  Since the show, he's the Harry I see and hear in my head when I read the books.  Ryan gets tapped (so to speak *leer*) only if Blackthorne is unavailable.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: July 02, 2010, 01:00:16 PM »
Oh, sure, for casting SF, the actor would have to be young. But remember: this is the PERFECT casting thread. Best-of-all-worlds, time-traveling casting, etc. Fillion, to me, doesn't have anywhere near the look of Harry, and that's not even considering age. But he's certainly got the CHARACTER down pat. Jim's personal pick, Alexi Denisof, I've never actually seen act (he was on Buffy, which I've never managed to watch more than a few episodes of), but apparently he's got both the look and the badass mentality (something about shooting his own father when he thought it necessary). I dunno.

Now, if we could graft personalities onto appearances... *descends into mad-scientist lab*
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: July 02, 2010, 01:10:54 PM »
If you'll all forgive me, I think part of it at least is that Fillion is the geek hero-of-choice.  There's no denying the man has a strong fanbase of, well, us.  Geeks.  If Bruce Campbell were younger, or if we were discussing this all five or ten years ago, I'd wager he'd be the frontrunner for Harry.

this is the PERFECT casting thread. Best-of-all-worlds, time-traveling casting, etc.

Ah! I thought someone called "no time travel" way back in the thread, because someone had actually suggested Bruce Campbell and I was like no way he is way too old, and that's coming from me, I am a huge Bruce Campbell fan, Army of Darkness is one of my all time favs, and I watched every episode of Brisco County Jr when it originally aired.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:21:49 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: July 02, 2010, 01:24:56 PM »
Fillion, to me, doesn't have anywhere near the look of Harry, and that's not even considering age. But he's certainly got the CHARACTER down pat.

This statement makes sense, I agree with this.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: July 02, 2010, 01:30:22 PM »
But if we are time-traveling then my pick is Clint Eastwood.

Give him a blasting rod and staff and we have a winner.

Though Clint's humor is a little bit dry.

My favorite quote:
Will Munny: Who's the fellow owns this shithole?
[pause]
Will Munny: You, fat man. Speak up.
Skinny Dubois: Uh, I... I own this establishment. I bought the place from Greeley for a thousand dollars.
[Will levels the shotgun, and speaks to someone standing behind Skinny]
Will Munny: You better clear outta there.
Man: Yes, sir.
[scampers out of the way]
Little Bill Daggett: Just hold it right there. Hold it...!
[Will shoots Skinny. Screaming, the women scatter upstairs]
Little Bill Daggett: Well, sir, you are a cowardly son of a bitch! You just shot an unarmed man!
Will Munny: Well, he should have armed himself if he's going to decorate his saloon with my friend.

Dang now I want watch a western or go buy Red Dead Redemption.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:43:03 PM by MoSeS_ »